Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

US Evo 8 vs RSII Evo 7

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2003, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Evo 8 vs RSII Evo 7

Hey Guys...
I will be travelling to the UK soon and I will get a chance to drive my fathers RSII Evo 7.....

I own a US Evo 8 here in the states and I thought that I would ask the members here for some ideas of what to compare while I am there...

Is there anyone on the group that has a comparison question between the two models?...please post and let me know before I leave...
Cheers...
Old Aug 30, 2003, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

You can give us an idea of just how much better the Evo handles w/ Ayc etc.... . Having driven your VIII now for a while it should be easy to tell if we are really missing something nice.

Hey while your over there, maybe you could check on the alloy exhaust guard that fits on the apron of the FQ 300. Its a really neat piece that would be of interest to more than a few folks I am sure.

You actually have a neat opportunity to check on some of those kinds of unobtanium that could be of great interest to many of us and maybe make a little money in the process. I know its not a business trip, but........

N10S
Old Aug 30, 2003, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

I will be visiting speed shops in the UK as well as putting the 7 on the dyno at G-force...it is a Dyno Dynamics dyno...so I will be able to give you "proper figures" hehehe
I will look for that guard....I plan on visiting Power Engineering (I think they are the ones that developed the FQ300 for Mitsubishi in the UK)...is it positioned around the downpipe at the front of the car?
I am also going to try and visit Hayward and Scott...I will keep you posted...thanks for your response
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:04 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know if it has less lag if equipped with the titanium impeller and if the engine feels different?

Is his car a euro spec or JDM spec? I'm guess the the euro spec will feel about the same and the JDM will blow ours away in handling and accel.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

His car is one of the last RSII"s made...it was brought through Rotterdam and sold through Xtreme in the UK (formerly Ralliart) it is fitted with their XT330 pack which gives it 320hp and 330ft/lb of torque....these power enhancements are achieved with an adjustable wastegate , a Hayward and Scott turbo back with no cat, and a HKS induction kit.....As mine is fitted with a Vishnu stage 0 the two vehicles should be fairly comparable..I will be interested if we are in fact on par with the rest of the world....
just FYI...it came from Japan with the Yokohama A0046's..the plot thickens.......
gtr...my father has already reported an earlier and faster spool up time with the T Turbo...he said it starts to spool at 2000rpm..that is consistant with earlier reports of the TT spooling 500rpm lower than the regular Turbo....

Last edited by limey; Aug 30, 2003 at 07:37 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Aug 30, 2003, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

If you get to attend a track day ... play with the ACD controls...

1. Leave the setting on Tarmac... take a lap or 2. Notice how the car hugs the corners. (look for the less understeer than your current car)

2. Then try to provoke some oversteer.

3. Set it to Gravel and provoke the oversteer in exactly the same parts of the track... (prepare for a smile ) heh

Last edited by jemm; Aug 30, 2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

I am only going for a week....there is a circuit my father goes to it's called Castle Combe...the Norris Designs Evo is always there tearing it up ..don't know if there is one scheduled while I am there...
Old Aug 30, 2003, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
I am only going for a week....there is a circuit my father goes to it's called Castle Combe...the Norris Designs Evo is always there tearing it up ..don't know if there is one scheduled while I am there...
Lets hope your dad can arrange something!

Last edited by jemm; Aug 30, 2003 at 04:30 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
I will be visiting speed shops in the UK as well as putting the 7 on the dyno at G-force...it is a Dyno Dynamics dyno...so I will be able to give you "proper figures" hehehe
I will look for that guard....I plan on visiting Power Engineering (I think they are the ones that developed the FQ300 for Mitsubishi in the UK)...is it positioned around the downpipe at the front of the car?
I am also going to try and visit Hayward and Scott...I will keep you posted...thanks for your response

I'm jealous......it sounds like an excellent adventure!! The alloy guard I am talking about is actually at the rear of the car and fits into the round notch for the exhaust tip. I have seen pics and it appears to be a custom fit piece which helps to protect the plastic apron against high heat. Looks great too!! It sounds like you will be in the "nest" so-to-speak so anything you can find out about cool and unusual stuff that will work on our cars will be great!!

Hayward and Scott info will also be great!!

N10S
Old Aug 31, 2003, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

I will look into the alloy exhaust guard...In fact ny father has one on his that was put on by xtreme....don't know if this is their piece or H&Scotts?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

sorry about the newb question but what are the different models of evo 7?

i keep hearing "RSII" "RS" "RS2" "GSR" "GT-A" I think there are more than that i cant remember...

what are the differences between them?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by elpedro
sorry about the newb question but what are the different models of evo 7?
i keep hearing "RSII" "RS" "RS2" "GSR" "GT-A" I think there are more than that i cant remember...
what are the differences between them?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=37295

Last edited by jemm; Aug 31, 2003 at 06:47 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Jemm- Thanks for that link to the xtreme article! Just as interesting as the article itself, is the xtreme automobiles web site. Lots of great info about Evo's, tuning details, tuning FAQ's, and nice pdf downloads and screensavers!!!

Its interesting to see how well-balanced they are in their approach to tuning. Making sure that they replace the rod bolts and head studs earlier-on when upping boost just confirms what we are finding out through trial and error here in the states. Limey, If you get a chance to visit and to talk with the xtreme guys, it would be interesting to hear what kind of process they use for seating and pre-loading new rod bolts and head studs.

I also noticed that xtreme listed the availability of an anti-lag device in their sales propaganda. Limey, do you think your dads car is equipped with such a device? I certainly am not doubting that the Ti turbo impellars might achieve this alone, but spooling-up by 2k is a pretty phenomenal feat. Makes the Ti turbo much more appealing thats for sure!Maybe you can set up a Gb for Ti turbos!

Great opportunity to get new and interesting info!

Cool !!

N10S

Last edited by N10S; Aug 31, 2003 at 07:27 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

My Father is on these groups more as a "lurker" than a poster...
His name is "defector" as he is more familiar with early Turbo Subarus...but we have won him over to Mitsubishi.....
I am sure he will answer this question on this thread for you as he has a rapport with Xtreme in the UK...
incidently I bumped his info about the H&S exhaust system on the "Engine Turbo Drivetrain" Forum....he has posted pics on page 2.....you can also see exhaust shield you mentioned