Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: what is better Evo 8/9 or a BMW 335i(2 door)
Evo 8/9
81.21%
BMW 335i (2door)
18.79%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

EVO 8/9 vs. BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S6devil
i cant speak fort all, but I dont think i ever considered a car's curb weight when making a buying decision... and my wife and I went through a dozen cars in the last 10 years

usually price, and practicality/usefulness are the most important factors. like for example a guy in the north prolly wont get a convertible as his only car, or perhaps a family of 4 wouldnt get a 2 seater... you know, those kind of silly considerations...

so once again, not a lot of people will consider an Evo vs. 135i
However, plenty would consider an Evo v. 335i... I did!! and decided to get the Evo (both sedans, both AWD, both similar size, and similar monthly payment, but one much more fun, and much more rare on the street)...
Well for one the AWD version of the 335 is the 335xi. The comparison should be against the 335xi not the 335i if you're going to use AWD as a determining factor at all.

Similar monthly payment? Either you got completely hosed on the Evo or you found the best deal EVAR on the 335. They aren't even close in price unless you buy a stripper model 335. And then it would only be within a few grand of a brand new MR at it's maximum price.

The dimensions ARE similar, but the 335 still has some 500+lbs on the Evo. If you're going to compare size I think the G8 GT should be in this comparison along with a couple other cars. The G8 is a decently quick car with a good sized interior and is in fact cheaper than the Evo was brand new.

I still say that the comparison between the 335 and Evo is ridiculous as the cars really don't have ANYTHING in common. Besides having 4 doors and being cars they might as well be from different planets.

I hope after this someone starts a poll titled Evo vs CTS-V(2009 model). Makes the same amount of sense to me as this BMW comparison. It has 4 doors and an engine and wheels. Might as well compare them.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Haha, a go-kart eh? Actually if you look at the curb weight of the 135i (3285lbs) and the Evo IX (3263lbs) its easy to see why it is a fair comparison. When comparing cars, power, and weight are two of the most important things to consider. In my opinion, it DOES NOT matter which car has or hasn't got four doors.

Wow. Lots in common if you ask me. No I wouldn't compare the Evo to a go cart (lets say the Lotus Elise) but the 135i is definitely far from one.

when i said "go-kart", i didnt just mean curb weight. being a go-kart doesnt just mean weighing little... it also means being a single-purpose, physically smallish, otherwise useless vehicle...
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
Well for one the AWD version of the 335 is the 335xi. The comparison should be against the 335xi not the 335i if you're going to use AWD as a determining factor at all.
Similar monthly payment? Either you got completely hosed on the Evo or you found the best deal EVAR on the 335. They aren't even close in price unless you buy a stripper model 335. And then it would only be within a few grand of a brand new MR at it's maximum price.
The dimensions ARE similar, but the 335 still has some 500+lbs on the Evo. If you're going to compare size I think the G8 GT should be in this comparison along with a couple other cars. The G8 is a decently quick car with a good sized interior and is in fact cheaper than the Evo was brand new.
I still say that the comparison between the 335 and Evo is ridiculous as the cars really don't have ANYTHING in common. Besides having 4 doors and being cars they might as well be from different planets.
I hope after this someone starts a poll titled Evo vs CTS-V(2009 model). Makes the same amount of sense to me as this BMW comparison. It has 4 doors and an engine and wheels. Might as well compare them.

lets take it step by step -

1) i guess you didnt read any of my posts, and just went on your own rant... i did specify a 335Xi from the beginning, I even corrected the guy who started the thread, by saying that an Evo shouldn't be compared to a plain 335i.

2) PRICE: first of all, this thread asked about an Evo 8/9, cars which are 3 years old at the least, how can you compare prices with a brand new car??? but If you insist, lets do it.
I hate to burst your bubble, but a 2008 335Xi in NYC is $592/month leased, with $0 down, which my cousin is paying (with sports & winter packages), and Im paying $540/month for my Evo IX. thats similar enough for me that I considered these 2 cars equally when making my decision on a second car last year... i dont know who is buying or leasing what and in what State, I can only speak for myself, and what I went through. so my statement about my personal choice is 100% valid and I stand by it.

In general, as far as purchase price: when you compare new models (and this was discussed extensively in another thread) - a new X MR's sticker is ~ $44,000 with every major option, BUT is $49,056 when loaded with every single option on Mitsu.com (and if you compare to a bmw, you must click every option to be fair); all this, while a 335Xi starts at $42,000 flat, and is $52,100 with pretty much every option; so once again SIMILAR ENOUGH...
BUT if you talk about lease prices: Advantage, bmw!! I dont have to tell you (or maybe I do) that new X MR leases run in the $500's/month, with $4,000 DOWN (or $600+/month with 0 down)... and wasn't there a guy on the forum recently who said he leased a new MR somewhere in the $700's/month, like $740 I think!! INSANE for a Mitsu... keep in mind, 3 series give you class leading residual values (while Evos carry one of the worst residual values on the market), so lease prices for similarly equipped 335's and Evo MR's, will be similar, if not lower for the 335. so check yo facts!!

3) weight: where do you get your specs data, CNN, fox news ?? according to their respective websites, the X MR's curb weight is 3656lb (GSR 3558lb), while a 335Xi is 3814lb... unless my arithmetic is waaay off, thats not a 500lb+ difference, as you wildly guessed

4) an Evo and a 335Xi have plenty in common, enough that these 2 were the only choice when it came time for me personally to get a second car. no other car out there excited me as much, or provided such performance, or stood out in a crowd of common cars like that, or gave me the usability of AWD, or gave me a rear seat and trunk, or gave me a monthly payment of $500-600/month.
on the contrary, as per your silly example, the Evo has little in common with a Pontiac GT (a large size, 'American' sedan with RWD, and a large V8), and NOTHING in common with a tiny, RWD, coupe such as the 135i, as was the point of my original comments (please actually read my posts before commenting on them).

so yes, this is a good thread, and a good comparison! say what you want, but these 2 cars have a lot in common to me, and i considered them for a long time, before I picked the better performing, much more rare, more fun choice

Last edited by S6devil; Nov 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

1) i guess you didnt read any of my posts, and just went on your own rant... i did specify a 335Xi from the beginning, I even corrected the guy who started the thread, by saying that an Evo shouldn't be compared to a plain 335i.

2) PRICE: first of all, this thread asked about an Evo 8/9, cars which are 3 years old at the least, how can you compare prices with a brand new car??? but If you insist, lets do it.
I hate to burst your bubble, but a 2008 335Xi in NYC is $592/month leased, with $0 down, which my cousin is paying (with sports & winter packages), and Im paying $540/month for my Evo IX. thats similar enough for me that I considered these 2 cars equally when making my decision on a second car last year... i dont know who is buying or leasing what and in what State, I can only speak for myself, and what I went through. so my statement about my personal choice is 100% valid and I stand by it.

In general, as far as purchase price: when you compare new models (and this was discussed extensively in another thread) - a new X MR's sticker is ~ $44,000 with every major option, BUT is $49,056 when loaded with every single option on Mitsu.com (and if you compare to a bmw, you must click every option to be fair); all this, while a 335Xi starts at $42,000 flat, and is $52,100 with pretty much every option; so once again SIMILAR ENOUGH...
BUT if you talk about lease prices: Advantage, bmw!! I dont have to tell you (or maybe I do) that new X MR leases run in the $500's/month, with $4,000 DOWN (or $600+/month with 0 down)... and wasn't there a guy on the forum recently who said he leased a new MR somewhere in the $700's/month, like $740 I think!! INSANE for a Mitsu... keep in mind, 3 series give you class leading residual values (while Evos carry one of the worst residual values on the market), so lease prices for similarly equipped 335's and Evo MR's, will be similar, if not lower for the 335. so check yo facts!!

3) weight: where do you get your specs data, CNN, fox news ?? according to their respective websites, the X MR's curb weight is 3656lb (GSR 3558lb), while a 335Xi is 3814lb... unless my arithmetic is waaay off, thats not a 500lb+ difference, as you wildly guessed

4) an Evo and a 335Xi have plenty in common, enough that these 2 were the only choice when it came time for me personally to get a second car. no other car out there excited me as much, or provided such performance, or stood out in a crowd of common cars like that, or gave me the usability of AWD, or gave me a rear seat and trunk, or gave me a monthly payment of $500-600/month.
on the contrary, as per your silly example, the Evo has little in common with a Pontiac GT (a large size, 'American' sedan with RWD, and a large V8), and NOTHING in common with a tiny, RWD, coupe such as the 135i, as was the point of my original comments (please actually read my posts before commenting on them).

so yes, this is a good thread, and a good comparison! say what you want, but these 2 cars have a lot in common to me, and i considered them for a long time, before I picked the better performing, much more rare, more fun choice

I'll probably read through everything you typed at a later point and respond accordingly. In the meantime I would like to point out that the comparison was between an Evo 8/9 and 335. NOT an Evo X. So while your diatribe is amusing to browse through, your speculation of where I obtained my facts seem a bit off base.

Considering the Evo 9 MR's weight is somewhere around 3280 (that being the heaviest CT9A model) and the XI's weight as you listed is 3814 that's in the 500lb ballpark. If you compare it to a 9 GSR or an RS even then you get even closer to the 500lb figure I suggested. So I'm sorry to say but your arithmetic is WAAAAY off.

Staying on the same topic that you interjected I agree that the Evo X is a FAR more comparable car to the 335 than the previous generation Evo. It's a completely different car with a completely different build. Of course paying $44k+ for a Mitsubishi will more than likely get you the "Idiot of the Year" award because they don't have a car in their fantastic stable that is worth that much.

This whole debate as stated by the OP was about a CT9A Evo. So your comparisons and other delightful bits of information don't have much validity here. The purchase price of a 9 MR when it was brand new was still several grand cheaper than the most stripped out 335. And when talking price don't list what you can LEASE the car for in comparison to what you can finance the car for. They aren't the same thing.

Well that's not true. You can compare them about as well as comparing an Evo9 to a 335.

*edit*

Went back and read the post that you made earlier. I do agree that the X makes more sense to compare. But we weren't comparing the X at all. And the statement that started this debate was about the 135i. And that was in comparison to the Evo 8/9.

Even now the original posting says Evo8/9 vs 335i (2door). If that's the case then the 135i is WAAAY better to compare to.

Last edited by SRTRaceR04; Nov 24, 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

"3) weight: where do you get your specs data, CNN, fox news ?? according to their respective websites, the X MR's curb weight is 3656lb (GSR 3558lb), while a 335Xi is 3814lb... unless my arithmetic is waaay off, thats not a 500lb+ difference, as you wildly guessed"

that is a weird numbers...
my GSR , i think never was even close to 3500lb not to mention the 3558 lb.
last time we weight it, it was around 3350 lb with full gas of tank.
I have after market stuff on it, like:
coilovers , cat back, high flow cat, rims and tires, empty trunk, thats it.
I dont think that is makes up 250 lb difference between the OEM vs after market weight. And this is not magazine number , that is a certifyed corner balancing scale .
/ euro tires in NJ. some might even heard of them. That is a place where some of the Porsche pro cup guys and others, do alignment and corner balancing. /
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

kinda biased. this is a evo forum. if this was posted on e90post.com they would all say e92 335 lol
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerrym
kinda biased. this is a evo forum. if this was posted on e90post.com they would all say e92 335 lol
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

This whole debate as stated by the OP was about a CT9A Evo. So your comparisons and other delightful bits of information don't have much validity here. The purchase price of a 9 MR when it was brand new was still several grand cheaper than the most stripped out 335.
FIRST AND FOREMOST - I AM THE ONE WHO SAID: that the original post asked about the Evo 8/9, and not X..... do you read what i say?? does it register ? QUOTE: "first of all, this thread asked about an Evo 8/9, models which are 3 years old at this point, So how can you compare prices with a brand new car (i.e. 335's)??? but If you insist, lets do it.". thats me talking! just above, read it!

further, u do realize that when a person could walk in and buy a brand new IX MR, u know, in 2006, there were no 335i's ?????????????????????? and, back then, when a IX MR topped out at $37,500, and barely gave you a radio and power windows, while a 330Xi, started at $38,500, already having standard everything the Evo had, and much more... so, once again, still, and forever, no matter how much this makes you mad, the prices of a Evolution MR, and a 330i/335i/330Xi/335Xi, whatever you wanna change the story to, are similar enough for an average buyer to compare and consider them equally.

as far as 135i.... someone said its better to compare the VIII/IX to a 135i, and i said that would be pointless and silly. i said you are far better off comparing a IX to a 335Xi.

...It seems like im hurting the tips of my fingers for no reason! you do not read what i say, and just skim through. Sorry i cant give you cliff notes on this, only the full picture. so if you lose attention after the first 2 sentences, i wont keep hitting the keys on the keyboard anymore, and move on to a new thread.

P.S. To Robevo RS.....as far as weight, well I dont know who is weighing your particular car and how, but every magazine i see and read, lists curb weight of a 2008 GSR at ~3550lb, and MR at ~3650lb. hey, dont shoot the messenger.... i cant verify for a fact, i never lifted the car up myself, so i can only relay the info i see in mags... search online, they all post the specs.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

FIRST AND FOREMOST - I AM THE ONE WHO SAID: that the original post asked about the Evo 8/9, and not X..... do you read what i say?? does it register ? QUOTE: "first of all, this thread asked about an Evo 8/9, models which are 3 years old at this point, So how can you compare prices with a brand new car (i.e. 335's)??? but If you insist, lets do it.". thats me talking! just above, read it!

further, u do realize that when a person could walk in and buy a brand new IX MR, u know, in 2006, there were no 335i's ?????????????????????? and, back then, when a IX MR topped out at $37,500, and barely gave you a radio and power windows, while a 330Xi, started at $38,500, already having standard everything the Evo had, and much more... so, once again, still, and forever, no matter how much this makes you mad, the prices of a Evolution MR, and a 330i/335i/330Xi/335Xi, whatever you wanna change the story to, are similar enough for an average buyer to compare and consider them equally.

as far as 135i.... someone said its better to compare the VIII/IX to a 135i, and i said that would be pointless and silly. i said you are far better off comparing a IX to a 335Xi.

...It seems like im hurting the tips of my fingers for no reason! you do not read what i say, and just skim through. Sorry i cant give you cliff notes on this, only the full picture. so if you lose attention after the first 2 sentences, i wont keep hitting the keys on the keyboard anymore, and move on to a new thread.

P.S. To Robevo RS.....as far as weight, well I dont know who is weighing your particular car and how, but every magazine i see and read, lists curb weight of a 2008 GSR at ~3550lb, and MR at ~3650lb. hey, dont shoot the messenger.... i cant verify for a fact, i never lifted the car up myself, so i can only relay the info i see in mags... search online, they all post the specs.

yes that is what i'm reading every where , but my car is easy below 3290 lb ,now.
still full interior . only crash beams and small battery is a new mods on it.
Now couple of weeeks from now the Recaros going in, so i might even scraching the 3200 lb then

that is why i said it is weird those numbers.
Not because of you.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

HOLY COW, that was you!?!? I never would have figured that out especially considering that it was your S/N in front of those posts. Wow amazing.

Now allow me to retort. FIRST AND FOREMOST your original post was many many posts before mine. It wasn't even on the same page. I didn't read through everyone's posts before I made my original comment. If you go back and read MY first statement it was concerning my utter resentment for these kind of polls because more than half of the time they don't lead to any bit of information that hasn't been covered a thousand times before.

And if you consider my first post that had ANYTHING to do with you then it was more along the lines of defending the other guy's point that the 135i was a more comparable vehicle. At that point it still is pretty irrelevant what you said in one of your original posts that didn't concern me nor have anything to do with me.

Considering I purchased my own brand new MR in March of 2006 I am fully aware what they cost new and what options they were available with. Comparing a used Evo 9 to a 335xi makes even less sense considering the humongous price difference then. For comparison's sake I'm using the prices of both cars brand new. I know you can't buy Evo 9's brand new now.

Also I would ask you to please show me a link to where I can pick up a brand new 335xi with ANY options for under $40k.

I took a quick look at BMW's website:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...n/default.aspx

Starting at $42k. Sweet, you are totally right. That's only $4k more than I spent for my IX MR out the door....and I got a bad deal. Add TTL and what-not to the 335xi and you're definitely going to have a comparable price. You're very right.

No you are better off comparing the 135i because the price point makes it a better comparison.

I don't forsee us seeing eye-eye on this because you seem very set in your opinion. I am also very set in mine. So I would say might as well agree to disagree.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

....I'll ignore what you just said, and instead go on with what I have to say, u know, like you do to me...
so once again, is it wise to compare an Evo 8/9 to a 335i/335Xi ???? hmmm....

Evo IX MR: Small size Sporty sedan; quick steering/firm suspension; 4 doors; decent trunk; AWD; 0-60 4.6-4.8sec.; 1/4 mile 13.3-13.4sec; 18/24mpg; Slower by 3 seconds at the 4.2mile track at Virginia Raceway (but that was against 335i, so probably the time would be identical if it had been a 335Xi); wheelbase is 103", width is 70", total length is 179"; total passenger volume 95cu.ft;

335Xi: Small size Sporty sedan; quick steering/firm suspension; 4 doors; decent trunk; AWD; 0-60 4.8-4.9sec.; 1/4 mile 13.4-13.5sec; 17/26mpg; Faster or perhaps same, as Evo IX MR at the 4.2mile track at VIR; wheelbase is 106", width is 72", total length is 181"; total passenger volume 93cu.ft;

** There is in fact a big weight difference between Evo Ix (not Evo X) and 335Xi, BUT this weight difference is completely irrelevant - because acceleration #'s are nearly identical, time around the long & complex track is also nearly identical, and gas mileage is ALSO nearly identical! so why are you stuck on this term - curb weight??

SO.... what more can you possibly need to admit that these cars are at the very least similar in an objective comparison, and that its OK to compare them ???? every performance # is nearly identical, every dimension is off by 1". WHAT MORE can you desire to say these 2 cars are COMPARABLE????

P.S. for the 4th time, its Not better comparing a IX to a 135i.
yes, a 1 is cheaper than a 3, but how much will the average consumer care, if the 1 doesnt fit his/her lifestyle and is totally useless to him/her as a tiny RWD coupe, rather than an AWD family sedan

P.P.S. just FYI, with an X, all the differences between an Evo and a 3series, however small, become even less... as the weight goes up, acceleration goes up, and price goes up for an X MR.

Last edited by S6devil; Nov 24, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, so let me try to put things into perspective. I do agree with some of the things you say, but I really cannot grasp the ability to compare these 2 cars. They are VERY similar, you are absolutely correct. They are still very different cars though. Ones a stripper sedan based off rally cars and ones a luxury sedan made to be sold to a completely different demographic.

So I will agree that their dimensions might be a little similar (as are a BUNCH of other 4 door cars) and their performance numbers are pretty close. But 2 different markets altogether.

The majority of people considering an Evo would not be considering a 335 and vice versa.

And the average consumer absolutely cares about the cost. Most people don't have the money to throw around and if they are saving up for a nice car in a certain price range then they probably already picked the car out.

And to further on this debate I find that the whole point is kind of silly. If someone is paying $30k+ that is NOT a needs based price. The only lifestyle choice that this would validate is the need to have an expensive luxury sedan.

Purchasing a 335 over an Evo or other similar vehicle in the Evo's price range is based on WANTS and not NEEDS. The buyer WANTS the performance and the AWD and etc. So they have to pay a premium.

So if the buyer was in a situation where they had low $30k to spend on a car and their NEEDS' said that it had to be AWD and a sedan well they will end up with either an EVO, STi, G8 GT, Volvo S80, etc.....but not a 335.

If I were worried about having 4 doors, AWD and saftety for my family I wouldn't be rocking a 335 or an Evo cause there are cars that are cheaper and better on gas that will do the job just as well. If I can afford to get a 335 then that means I want the performance side of the car and for that price I would be rocking a Corvette.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Im sorry, but a 335i slammed is the sickest looking thing on the road, but performance wise, no match for the EVO.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:39 AM

lol its stupid to ask this question on an evo forum... e90post will yield the same results backwards

my 335 is a fast car.... you can obviously make an evo faster but its a challenge on a stock turbo... a 335 is an expensive car but with just a piggyback computer you can run 12s flat on 93 octane

let me show you my 335 (at the time it only had a dci, catless downpipes, and a stage 3 piggyback from BMS) vs a friends evo 8 (fully catless, tuned, AMS fmic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3MTr965mk4

look at related videos.. theres 2 more

the 335 walks the evo in each race

now WHEN i buy my evo... its definitely going to be faster than my 335

but dont under estimate that car, a 335 is a c63/IS-F/m3/RS4 killer and even an m5 killer up to 130mph
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

They are still very different cars though. Ones a stripper sedan based off rally cars and ones a luxury sedan made to be sold to a completely different demographic.
AGREED.

And the average consumer absolutely cares about the cost. Most people don't have the money to throw around and if they are saving up for a nice car in a certain price range then they probably already picked the car out.
AGREED.

And to further on this debate I find that the whole point is kind of silly. If someone is paying $30k+ that is NOT a needs based price. The only lifestyle choice that this would validate is the need to have an expensive luxury sedan.
Purchasing a 335 over an Evo or other similar vehicle in the Evo's price range is based on WANTS and not NEEDS. The buyer WANTS the performance and the AWD and etc. So they have to pay a premium.
So if the buyer was in a situation where they had low $30k to spend on a car and their NEEDS' said that it had to be AWD and a sedan well they will end up with either an EVO, STi, G8 GT, Volvo S80, etc.....but not a 335.
What if a person wants just that, a 335i. after all, its better looking, performing, driving, riding and fun than any Pontiac GT, but simply cannot afford it? thats where leasing comes in. thats why 9 ou of 10 cars in USA, well at least on the East/West Coasts, get leased, and not purchased. thats why i mentioned leasing.

If I were worried about having 4 doors, AWD and saftety for my family I wouldn't be rocking a 335 or an Evo cause there are cars that are cheaper and better on gas that will do the job just as well. If I can afford to get a 335 then that means I want the performance side of the car and for that price I would be rocking a Corvette.
Surely a vette is the best performance value in the world, but you said family, you said safety, you said gas mileage, you said AWD, why would you then even mention "Vette" in the same sentence ?

Quick Reply: EVO 8/9 vs. BMW 335i