Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cam swap complete - 272 int / 264 exh

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2003, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam swap complete - 272 int / 264 exh

It's kinda tech related - but it covers my opinions and impressions of this hot topic, so...

We just got the cam swap done an hour ago or so, we ended up doing the timing and everything since we couldn't find anyplace to insert the cam tensioner tool (and didn't get any responses in this forum). It wasn't a big deal, just more time consuming.

The stupid thing is, I ordered 264 intake / 272 exhaust from Boost Solutions (I even have a confirmation email from them saying that), but what I received was 272 intake and 264 exhaust. With the stock cams already out, we weren't about to not put them in - so that's the setup i'm running.

My first impression is that the idle is lumpy as hell, and I love the sound. I don't really care for all the dying it's doing, but I think it just takes awhile for the stock computer to learn / get used to the new cam profiles. The more I drive it, the more it seems to be smoothing out. Please - if you have 272's, could you give me tuning tips to help keep it from dying or let me know if it just takes a couple of days for the computer to learn everything. For the most part, it's idling fine until the fan kicks on or if I run the AC it'll sometimes die. Not always though, and it feels like it's getting better. I have it set to +4% fuel at idle on the AFC.

My impression on the speed - holy cow what a mid-range difference. It feels like the car actually pulls hard from 2500 rpm and through 5k feels a lot better. The top end is also stronger, though my butt dyno sucks. I'm going to run the car this Friday to get updated timeslips.

I'll also keep everyone updated on the idle issues. I'm switching my MBC / S-AFC setup to Greddy E-Manage and Profec-B Spec II this next week when the E-Manage arrives (I got the Profec today). Should be easier to dial everything in on.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Why are you switching to the EBC?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 01:36 AM
Former Sponsor

weird cam setup but nice... i cant wait for my cams to come in...
Old Aug 31, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know much about cam tuning (or even what the stock ones are) but why not just get 272 intake AND exhaust cams?

Also, how does this effect the engine's reliability aside from a rougher idle? In what ways is more stress being put on the engine with higher-performance cams?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

I don't mind a rough idle - I actually like the way it sounds when loping at idle. What I don't like is it dying - just need some advice for getting it tuned / tweaked a little better with the AFC or E-Manage. C'mon, there's a handful of you guys out there with a 272 intake without stalling problems.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man - that sucks - - - seems like the stuck you with the left overs from a guy who went 264 intake and 272 exh !

I see no rational reason to do 272 int and 264 exh - - all you get is the bad idel and the weak power of the 264's

I would suggest you buy a 264 intake and sell the 272 intake - - - or get the 272 exhuast

BTW - don't ADD fuel at idel - why would you do that ??

If anything you would take away fuel to make it idel better
Old Aug 31, 2003, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Man - that sucks - - - seems like the stuck you with the left overs from a guy who went 264 intake and 272 exh !

I see no rational reason to do 272 int and 264 exh - - all you get is the bad idel and the weak power of the 264's

I would suggest you buy a 264 intake and sell the 272 intake - - - or get the 272 exhuast

BTW - don't ADD fuel at idel - why would you do that ??

If anything you would take away fuel to make it idel better
Al, I added fuel at idle because the DSMer who helped me do the install said to. I have pulled it out and now have it at -4%, which "seems" to be a little better, though it did try to die one time coming to a stop. it's so off again on again, it's hard to discern what all the variables are I can change.

You are running 272 intake cam w/o a cam adjuster, could you share some of your fuel / etc settings on things you may have done to improve the idle?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at my 518 whp dyno post in a few mins - I am posting up some new info over there on this subject
Old Jan 9, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

What did you have to do so you didnt have to use the tensioner tool? SPX coulnt cross-reference it for me either.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

I don't see much of a use for the 272 intake cam with the stock intake manifold. Sure it might add more horsepower (granted if you had a 264 intake cam also), but you aren't getting the full benefit. It's like getting a GT35R, and leaving the exhaust stock. Pointless. I'd say let Boost Solutions take the 272 back (you shouldn't have installed it), or get a 272 exhaust cam.

I'm happy with my 264i/272e.

Good luck.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

holy ancient thread batman!!
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

I know your car would have been left on jack stands but I think you would be much happier with less headaches with a 264in/272exh. set up.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

wow, that is quite an odd cam setup. let us know your numbers, im curious to see if you can even get power out of those.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sneakychaos
wow, that is quite an odd cam setup. let us know your numbers, im curious to see if you can even get power out of those.
How odd is it really when you look at the stock cams that are 260in/256ex?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

This set up isn't as odd as it sounds I don't think...

I'm learning more and more about cams but I'm pretty sure our stock head flows much better on the intake side than the exhaust so a more aggressive intake cam is probably a good idea if you're sold on going with a staggered setup.

Quick Reply: cam swap complete - 272 int / 264 exh