Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mr Vs Ssl

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
well no where in my post did I say i was going to make alot of HP. I want the car as a daily with light mods.. And most cars if you put crazy HP to the trans are going to have issues. Just blew out the Diff on the DSM from making to much HP.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right on the money
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Both cars are good but It sound as though you'll be happier with the SSL. Since you want a sunroof, you'll be wishing you had it every time you get in if you get the MR. Personally, I would look for an An IX SE instead of the MR. Good luck.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Skywarp
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

come to think about it I swear I read somewhere about someone having a 8 MR with SSL, could be worth searching for...though the IX (IMVHO) is just a bit sexier, and I can't see taking away the weight savings of the aluminum roof for the sunroof...
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:32 AM

I just went through the same process. First Evo I ever drove was an MR and I loved it! But I really wanted a sunroof, HIDs and the sounds though. Didn't really care about the leather. I found a modded SSL within driving distance and ended up going with that one. I couldn't be happier (the leather isn't bad at all)! To me the MR is the "race" version while the SSL is the "luxury" version. I just knew I would regret not having a sunroof in the long run. It's all about what you prefer in the end though. Good luck with your purchase!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by __pg
I just went through the same process. First Evo I ever drove was an MR and I loved it! But I really wanted a sunroof, HIDs and the sounds though. Didn't really care about the leather. I found a modded SSL within driving distance and ended up going with that one. I couldn't be happier (the leather isn't bad at all)! To me the MR is the "race" version while the SSL is the "luxury" version. I just knew I would regret not having a sunroof in the long run. It's all about what you prefer in the end though. Good luck with your purchase!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

yea man i feel ya with that. at least you still got a r32 so you can be apart of both worlds. but i agree, the diy aspect and the whole scene in general has a lot to offer. I always thought the import scene was different, just seeing honda guys all the time. but after getting my evo i have realized that this community has much more to offer and isnt as "ricer" as others. the looks you get when having a modded audi vs evo are def different, but no one can doubt the performance potential. your going to miss you audi for sure, but the grins the evo will bring will more than make up for it. wat are the specs on the audi?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:02 PM

Heh, I actually have both a IX MR and a IX SSL right now. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you absolutely want the sunroof, go with the SSL. I bought the SSL first thinking I had to have the sunroof and the leather. After driving it for a while, I realized that I never used the sunroof and the leather does not hold you in place as well as the alcantara. The 6sp does shift alot smoother than the 5sp, but the top gear cruising RPM is not as big a difference as you would think. maybe 300-400RPM difference at 75mph.

If it's for a daily driver, you will not notice the extra weight of the SSL. Both have HIDs. The suspension in the MR is softer so it's more pleasant for everyday driving. Can't really go wrong with either. Good luck with your search.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

It all come down to taste.I never had a car without a sunroof and i like leather so i chose the ssl.There both great but it something you have to choose what you like.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Go with the MR if you only want light mods. Also depends on price difference.I really love my leather door panels and sunroof but se/mr seats are equally sick.Its like asking me if I like booty better than boobies.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 03:48 PM

MR ride is slightly more comfortable for daily driving(bilstiens) tranny sucks it will grind in 4th even with a few mods. This happened to me and someothers who i know had MR's. Also it is a lot of shifting with the 6 speed very annoying b/c the gears are so short.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Personally I don't like leather seats unless it's for a ballin' *** car. but I do love the sunroof!

the MR has the bilsteins, the sexy bbs wheels, VG(vortex generator), the undeniablely sexy MR badge.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an MR, and the 6 spd is whack. It does not shift as well as the 5 spd, and the 6th is not much taller than the 5th in the 5 spd, so there is no benefit to fuel consumption nor in NVH on the highway. All it means is you have to shift more often. The choice of gear spacing is pretty bad too, IMO. I have seen plenty of people break the 6 spd as well, even at stock power.

However, I love my MR because it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Any Evo is better than no Evo

I would say go with the SSL if you want a sun roof (I prefer not to have one, but I am a bit of a ginger kid), go with the MR if you want a softer ride.

And I like booty better than boobies
Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
If you plan on atleast maxing out the stock turbo, the MR is not for you.
where did you pull this comment from?

unless you are road racing a mr the tranny is perfectly fine

forth gear just simply can't handle the heat in track conditions...autox and drag it's fine

don't spread misinformation across the forum...when you have no clue what you are talking about

Quick Reply: Mr Vs Ssl