Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mr Vs Ssl

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
where did you pull this comment from?

unless you are road racing a mr the tranny is perfectly fine

forth gear just simply can't handle the heat in track conditions...autox and drag it's fine

don't spread misinformation across the forum...when you have no clue what you are talking about
Pretty sure that i've read that the MR tranny is rated at 400 awhp
Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by thedru13
Ok I am close... I am close to selling my B5 S4 and want to get into the Evo 9. I am debating between the MR and the SSL.

The Evo will be my Daily Driver. So post up what I can expect if i choose the MR or the SSL.

I am leaning towards the MR. I want to get a WW Evo MR.. But I also love having a sunroof.. So let me know what your opinions are.. Thanks.
i f you go for performance then MR /even thought the 6 speed is kinda weaker at high whp/ But it is beneficial at oem whp or close to it, because its the gearing.
The SSl is heavy and has sunroof. no aluminum roof No gauges. the MR also nicer i think .
The BBS rims are nicer and lighter. The leather seats in racing are sucks. They are slippery as hell.
The leather doesn't match with the Evo idea anyway.
I had an 04 Evo 8 SSL , I was so happy i did get rid of it.
The MR would be a better choice for me.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just never had the "low rent" interior before. My Vdubs and Audi's have always been packed with options..
to bad they were never packed with power. just options and problems....
german engineering FTL.
if your worried about the interior, maybe you shouldnt get an evo. people dont buy these cars for luxury or options... just flat out power and speed
Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
but I asked you for proof and more than one example...
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [Advance]
Personally I don't like leather seats unless it's for a ballin' *** car. but I do love the sunroof!

the MR has the bilsteins, the sexy bbs wheels, VG(vortex generator), the undeniablely sexy MR badge.
I always thought the evo was pretty ballin when I couldnt afford one. I also added bbs wheels and a vortex genorator.Big deal.......Springs and bilsteins can be had for cheap as well.As far as the leather being slippery, this is why we wear seatbelts.If you still cant handle it get harnesses.The sunroof weight differential means nothing unless you autoX and every ounce counts.In a straight line it means little.Drop the weight elsewhere.To me the MR WAS NOT worth the extra 5-6k on top of what I spent on my SSL.If I were 50 years old and not planning to modify my evo Id get the MR.

Last edited by ImJoey; Oct 7, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

true that though![about the evo being ballin', but I am talking about luxury cars.]

I'd go SE anyday too, but the funny thing is the SE's around here go for more than the MR's!

For one, he's not buying a MR that's brand new or anything so I think the 5-6k is a bit exaggerated. It will cost alittle more though. The good thing about the SSL is it has HID's!

well personally the alcantara seats look better then the all plain grey leather. Alcantara seats has the contrast in colors which makes it alittle bit appealing. My car right now has leather seats and it blows. When it's hot, the seats f*cking burning and sticky. and When it's cold, it's all hard and stiff.[that's what she said!] haha. In the summer, it's gross, I don't know if it happens to yall but my back sweats like crazy because of those seats.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kreeker
if thats the case mine should of been done a while ago....
still working fine for me though
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
but I asked you for proof and more than one example...
I'm looking..

I will however I admit that I'm jealous of the MRs shifter console... Looks 100x better than the gsr. Still haven't found a good one to get rid of the nasty ring.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 6th gear in the MR isn't really going to help with gas mileage I don't think. I love my SSL. The sunroof is a nice touch but I could do without it. I like the suede but I have always LOVED leather. The suspension is a little better on the MR but I don't think it's worth paying a few thousand more for an MR. You can upgrade the suspension if its that important to you on an SSL, have a better handling car than a stock MR and come out about even on price. I say go with an SSL.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 07:13 PM

The weight difference between the MR and the SSL is not much, due to the fact that the 6-speed trans weighs more than the 5-speed. Check this out--->http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_evoweights.php I have an SSL and I love it. The sunroof is awesome and the leather is real nice after you break it in. If it is all out race the the SSL is not for you, but I found that for a DD, the extra amenities sure are nice
Old Oct 8, 2008, 08:42 PM
Account Disabled

What is the benefit of the MR besides the 6th gear..
+1 MR has great seats, but you can always get a GSR SSL SE. I can't justify the price increase for an extra gear.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by compscibOi
+1 MR has great seats, but you can always get a GSR SSL SE. I can't justify the price increase for an extra gear.
you've said this before comp lol... All IX's but the ssl have the same seats except the SE has red stiching.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 08:52 PM

MR all day. It's reality folks and deal with it. GSR's don't be so upset now.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AdvanRG2
MR all day. It's reality folks and deal with it. GSR's don't be so upset now.
What the hell?

Sometimes people couldn't give a crap about the shocks, h.i.d's, rims or the crappy 6 speed transmission.

Most evo owners would do away with the suspensions and rims anyway, and I'm sure they'd be happier owning a beefier transmission. The ONLY advantage of the MR I see is the aluminum roof. But that's where the SE comes into play.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:13 PM

Hey,

I am in the same boat, and had a question or two for you guys. I didn't want to start a new thread since you guys should answer it well here...

1. What do you consider 'high' whp for a 6 spd tranny?
- I am looking to pick up a IX for a DD, and was wondering what would be better 5 or 6 spd? Also, it's going to be bolt-ons, and I am shooting for ~330-350 whp.

I think that's it for now!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Mr Vs Ssl