Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So should you pick up a couple quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic on the way home

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2003, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So should you pick up a couple quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic on the way home

Just wondering if it burns any oil during break in and would it be worth it to carry a couple quarts in the car in case you check it when gassing up and it's low?
Old Sep 1, 2003, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Re: So should you pick up a couple quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic on the way home

Originally posted by JRock
Just wondering if it burns any oil during break in and would it be worth it to carry a couple quarts in the car in case you check it when gassing up and it's low?
Personally, I always drive around with a quart of spare motor oil. In my case though, I never had to add any oil before the first oil change (1000 miles).
Old Sep 1, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I have been through two oil changes at 3500 mile intervals, and found that the car used very little oil between changes, maybe 2-3 oz at most. It never hurts to keep a spare quart handy, and you should check your levels on a regular basis. Theres a good chance one spare quart will cover minor top-offs for three-four oil changes or more.

N10S
Old Sep 1, 2003, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Cool. Does it matter what brand synthetic? Like do we even know which brand Mitsu puts in the cars from the factory? Probably their own blend, right?
Old Sep 1, 2003, 08:49 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

It's always a good idea to have a quart or two of spare oil in the car.

But you don't have to stop on the way home from the dealer. I just finished the first 700 miles on my EVO (per break-in instructions), and it still doesn't need any oil, yet.

Of course, I already had a box of Mobil-1 10W30 left over from the Celica, and that's what Mitsu recommends. (For New England winters, I might switch to 5W30 or 0W30, if Mobil doesn't recall it again, this year.)

As for what Mitsu puts in the car in the factory, I'd suspect it was a custom "break-in" oil, rather than straight Mo-1.

But the instructions don't call for an early oil change, which is a bit odd, compared to older machines. Maybe there's some parts run-in at the factory, or maybe the newer manufacturing processes don't leave the metal burrs the older cars had on a fresh engine.