Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

When it rains do you cover your hood, if you do with what?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it doesnt need to be covered...its a rally car, i wonder about all the muddy water and junk that gets sprayed everywhere during a rally event. Evos are meant to get wet as well as the girls
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
It actually moves hot air out as you drive down the road. By removing it, it may expel a bit more at a stop, but only makes hot air swirl around your bay when you remove it at speed.
I beg to differ on that. You do not see any race cars with it on, and if that was the case, you would.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:55 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't know which of you is correct, but I can't side with your reasoning importjake00. A lot of people leave their tail gates down cause they think "it helps gas mileage" on their truck. But instead it lets the pocket of air that helps aerodynamics for airflow on a truck and you actually get LESS mileage. So using the reasoning that other people do it, doesn't mean it makes it true.

IMO, if it was to let air IN, or simply let air out easily, the slots wouldn't be tilted towards the driver. I'm speculating though. I have seen people on these boards say it helps the engine be cooler. I think the only way to tell is to actually test it yourself. :shrug:
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Test it, and I bet you find out it keeps the engine bay cooler with it out.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

I would venture a guess that the large open area under the engine bay lets in a lot more water than the little whole in the hood while driving. When sitting in the rain I just leave mine open. In most climates your engine gets pretty wet with condensation every morning anyway.

Not sure about the airflow idea but the engineers with the wind tunnel put the vent in. I see a lot more heat rising without it in at a stop. fill your engine bay with smoke and go for a short drive and you'll get your answer.
(disclaimer: I'm not condoning starting a fire in your engine bay but if you do take pics to post here)

I personally put mine back in because I'm sick of people leaning over the front of my car in parking lots to look in.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Yeah, I never ever had any issues. I even know people without the cover on that don't have any issues. What kind of battery issues are you seeing?
It was left out for about 4 days while I was away, and it rained the whole time. Came back and the connections on the battery were wet. Car wouldn't start.

Took off the negative terminal, to reset ecu, plugged it back in and it fired right up no issues.

I am seeing similar effects to that, except without rain. Every couple days or so the car wont start. Unplug the negative terminal for a minute or two and it fires right up. The battery needs to be changed, and the connections need to be cleaned (some stupid aftermarket things, they were on the car when I bought it) this I know. Could it just be just that the terminals are clogged up and the battery needs to be cleaned? Or could the alt be dead?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:44 AM

LOL@ fill engine bay with smoke.
cheech and chong under your hood!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

If you don't care about your exhaust manifold looking like a one mass of rust then it doesn't matter. How hard is it to find a piece of plastic to cover the vent anyways??
Old Oct 14, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

you be aight, mine's never been on.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Don't you think mitsu thought of rain when they cut the big hole in the hood lol?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by red evo8
Don't you think mitsu thought of rain when they cut the big hole in the hood lol?
I agree, they didn't just cut a hole in the hood and call it a day.

I have one on my Talon in a similar area and haven't had any problems, it wasn't even designed for one.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

i have the metal vents out in the hood and i dont cover the hood. i will throw a car cover on the car when it rains alot.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

my vent is out and I personally haven't had any issues, you could always relocate the battery to the trunk and be done with it.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
I live in washington and it rains A LOT, and i dont even run the think piece of sheet metal, it restricts a lot of heat when its in.

No problems at all.
+1. then again it never really gets hot here, so the engine bay temps don't get as hot as say if we lived in AZ.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

this is gonna sound wierd but when i took my metal vent off yestderday, the car seemed to have a little more pep to it. did anyone else notice this? i also have the injen intake, been on the car for bout a year now.

Quick Reply: When it rains do you cover your hood, if you do with what?