Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

U.S. Evo what that the compete against

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2002, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U.S. Evo what that the compete against

lets say the Evo has 276hp and current specs what U.S. cars could it compete with if you lined up with them on the streets... For instance mustangs and other cars???

Just wondering if anyone really could tell?
Old May 2, 2002, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

If we were to get the 276hp it is contender against M3, M5, and C5 vette, 911 and it could put the spank on a 350Z, RX-8, G35 coupe when they come out.

Mustang GT would be crushed

Hey that G35 coupe is beautiful and would make a great plan B if fuC*s up the US EVO. I bet Stillen will have a blower for G35 by next year.
Old May 2, 2002, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 1stinline
If we were to get the 276hp it is contender against M3, M5, and C5 vette, 911 and it could put the spank on a 350Z, RX-8, G35 coupe when they come out.
Mustang GT would be crushed
Hey that G35 coupe is beautiful and would make a great plan B if fuC*s up the US EVO. I bet Stillen will have a blower for G35 by next year.
G35 is aight but I don't like the back lights on that thing.

M3 maybe, but the M5 hell no. If we are talking about the Benz AMG
E55 then maybe, but any Mitsu made car cannot compete overall.

More likely, the competition for its class and similar price range would definitely be the RX8 and 350z, and remember both are Normally aspirated unlike the Evo. Just imagine the potential on those cars with turbo and the like.

Old May 2, 2002, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Hate to say it, but it would not crush a new Mustang GT. The new '03 Cobra and '03 Mach 1 Mustang would both beat the Evo. '03 Cobra will run a 12.5 quarter mile and handle damn good...the '03 Mach 1 has turned 12.96. Yes, the regular GT may get beat but not crushed .
Old May 3, 2002, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

uuuuh, the Evo VII would crush the GT if you were testing the cars based on what they are made for. In fact, I think the Evo would do a relatively better job of keeping up with a GT on at the strip than a GT would on an actual track. The GT would just sort of beat the Evo on the 1/4 mile, where the evo would MAUL a GT on a track. The evo is definitely the all around better car performance wise to the cobra OR the mach 1. Those mustangs may have good handling, but the evos handling is LEGENDARY. I mean, thats like..what the car is known for. Theres just no comparison...

Last edited by Evoandy; May 3, 2002 at 01:10 AM.
Old May 3, 2002, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

The question was "if they lined up on the streets". Since when do you line up on twisties or anything similar to a roadcourse??
The Mach, the Cobra, the Z06, and a good amount of other cars WILL beat the Evo in a stoplight straight race.
Do I think a Cobra and Z06 would beat an Evo on a roadcourse? Probably. The straightline speed would more than make up for the little disadvantage the Z06 and Cobra might have in a corner. Just my opinion though. I guess we won't know for at least 6 months though.
Old May 3, 2002, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

dude, its not just a little disadvantage they would have in the twisties...They would be trounced...thoroughly. Dammit, where is claudius when I need him.
Old May 3, 2002, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

saw a video between Z06 and Elise GT(camera in it) on a road course. The Elise got very close to it. But when the Z06 saw that, it launched out of sight within a minute. So it is not unbelievable that the American muscle cars can out run an Evo. Assuming the Mustang/Mach can turn like the Z06 of course.
Old May 3, 2002, 01:44 AM

Well, having owned a GT in the past, and having had my *** handed to me by cars like the 300zx twin turbo, I plan to take a few shots at GTs, Corvettes and such when I get my Evo. I also plan to pump that sucker up to over 300 hp, just to keep things more UNeven, hee hee. I will put them all to the test, as the opportunities arise. I may lose many races, but what the hell, someone has to lose. I hope it is them!
Old May 3, 2002, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

That's my point exactly..thanks dipper. The torque and hp will simply pull away in the straights AND exitting the corners. The Evo will have the advantage entering the corner and in the corner. That's an awful small piece of the roadcourse...correct? Remember the Evo has never been put against high hp american cars with good handling and a ton of torque...such as Corvette, Cobra, Saleen, Viper, etc.
I'm not saying the Evo isn't a world-class handler. I plan on getting an Evo IF it meets my high expectations. I think it's a good overall package BUT I would not be confident racing and being able to beat american muscle cars on a big open roadcourse with it.
Old May 3, 2002, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

Even when I own an Evo I will still have my other cars. I can't wait for the day I'm driving my 600hp street Mustang and some cocky fool thinking the Evo is unbeatable pulls up and wants to race.
I will also have fun beating unexpecting fools with the Evo though also! It would be nice seeing the face of someone that thought they were racing some "ricey 4 banger Mitsubishi" get beat.
Old May 3, 2002, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could already see the people of the Evo village running over the hill with torches..... yeah where is Claudius and the gang?
Old May 3, 2002, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

Well, all I have to say is that I hate American cars, especially Rustangs and any gas guzzling V-8 tank. They don't look appealing to me and their quality is questionable.

I would rather spend less and buy a suped up econo-box than purchasing any American made vehicle, but then that's just me.

I get a kick out of seeing my buddy in his eclipse take out dumbass Z28 and Rustangs, most who are rednecks thinking they can beat down any 4-banger. It's even funnier seeing my friend give them a head launch as he gains on them (oh the look on their dumbfounded faces is priceless).

Can you imagine what they are thinking, that's if they are thinking.... uhhh what the hell is that huge fan on his front bumper? uhhh what is that damn "pssshhh foooooossshh: sound coming from that engine?
Old May 3, 2002, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

If you ever got a chance to drive a modified american V8 they are a ton of fun. You simply can't beat the torque and pure power. Being pinned in your seat, jerking the front wheels of the ground and running a 10 sec quarter mile is SOOO much fun I like the idea of having the Evo as my everday all around fun car to drive but I'm sure the acceleration will never really impress me compared to my Mustangs. The handling, awd, and 4 doors is what I'm looking forward to...not its peaky (compared to my Mustangs) 4 banger turbo powerband.
BTW, I've never been beaten on the street with my Mustang by any car. Looking forward to the day I meet another low 10 second street car though
Old May 3, 2002, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

should I be impressed?

It's people like you that my buddies get thrills and spills of laughter. 10's you say?
You may happen to beat many 4-bangers out there(shouldn't even be comparing a 4cyl to v8, furthermore, getting beat by v4 only makes you more the loser; c'mon you have 4 more freakin cylinders!), but dont get caught with your pants down with any import dragsters.

Quick Reply: U.S. Evo what that the compete against