Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my crazy night on the side of the road

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
All you people down south *****ing about the cold really makes me laugh! Whats cold to you guys is probably shorts and t-shirt weather for me
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing happened to me not too long ago. Fortunately I had some daylight left and had mine fixed before help arrived. I remember thinking at the time that the sound of traffic flying by at 70 mph was strangely soothing. From now on I'm doing all my work on the freeway
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vicksen
Same thing happened to me not too long ago. Fortunately I had some daylight left and had mine fixed before help arrived. I remember thinking at the time that the sound of traffic flying by at 70 mph was strangely soothing. From now on I'm doing all my work on the freeway
yea, maybe it was dangerous, but i have a really sh*tty job, if i die or get horribly mauled fixing my car, at least i wouldnt have to come in to work on monday!
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

How far from home were you when this happened? If you were close you should have just unplugged the MAF and driven it home and dealt with it in the morning.

Having tools in the car FTMFW, since I blew my pipes 3 times I always have tools in my ride.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

wow props to you
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
All you people down south *****ing about the cold really makes me laugh! Whats cold to you guys is probably shorts and t-shirt weather for me
Your probably right, but F cold weather I dealt with that crap for 21 years. S FL FTMFW, when its snowing by you Im in Miami on the beach who gets the last laugh now
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Lmao that sucks
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kreeker
Damn that sucks bro.

I never leave home without my fleshlight.
Fleshlight?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ bahahahhaha the fleshlight...!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4g63smokinall4s
^^^ bahahahhaha the fleshlight...!
For passing the time on those cold and lonely nights
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linwoodm
WOW, didn't know McGiver was on EvoM!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:33 PM
EMC

I feel for you man. I've had my ic piping pop off at least 4 times....luckily they were all in the upper engine compartment.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:52 PM
Account Disabled

i did this about 2 or 3 times just so you feel alittle better lol
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

This happiend to me at about 2 am one morning when I was boosting on an entrance ramp to the highway. Shifted into 4th and POWWW. Instantly knew what it was, had no tools to fix it. My same pipe blew off, lower intercooler. Long story short I would have to stop every mile to slide the pipe back into the coupler. Then just drove home w. pipe off hardly moving.

When I got home I instantly put all T bolt style clamps on the LICP and have had no problems since.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ugh - these posts always make me shudder. It sucks to be stranded, at night, without light, and along a highway.

The first time I blew a hose (last year), I was "testing" a rough engine issue under boost and heard the BANG!, started to coast, praying the block was intact while going down into town in Watkins Glen. The car coasted slower, and slower, and finally at about 4 mph, I rolled into a parking lot for... a Goodyear Service Center w/ a NAPA Auto Parts store behind it - nothing for a quarter mile on either side of it. Lifted the hood and found the hose had separated from the intake manifold, but the clamp had disappeared. Talk about easy. All I had to do was buy a clamp and screwdriver at the NAPA store to fix it.

The second time (last summer), the tow truck showed up quick:

'cuz the BMW Club Racing guys needed to start their qualifying runs and were pissed they had to wait for me. The car died just coming out of the Toe of the Boot, so they towed me as far as Turn 9, and then let me sit there while the qualifying took place. An E36 died in Turn 8, so he was towed into the same holding area with me. We both watched the rest of qualifying, then the tow truck came and got us after the session (me first, much to the racer's annoyance). The lesson learned - never swap in a new IC 2 days before a track date.

The 3rd time it happened (this year, again at WGI), the hose barely separated from the hotside of the IC, so I was able to drive into the pits at WGI and tackle it in the paddock.

So each time it's happened to me, I had the luxury of:

1) Broad daylight.
2) Surrounded by people possessing 10's of years of mechanical experience.

I've got a date this off season with a Samco hose kit, t-bolt clamps, and a can of Aqua Net hairspray.