Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VII NHTSA Import Petition Announced

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2003, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sblvro
so, does it actually say it is okay to import the evo7 as mentioned in the paragraph or am I reading it wrong?
You likely only read the petitions title, right?

The Evo 7 is NOT ok'd for importation. And by actaully having read what the NHTSA said in the Federal Register, it probably never will be unless the Registered Importer decides to bite the bullet and crash a few cars.

SC~
Old Sep 3, 2003, 07:19 PM

Senor Info I just wanted to take this time to thank you on behalf of the entire community for the valuable information regarding importing cars that you have brought everyone here (and continue to bring). It really allowed thousands of people to make educated decisions as to whether or not they should pursue a car from EI. I was really thinking about it myself, until that first post you put up questioning their process opened my eyes. How long ago was that? Like a year? Anyways...

Thanks!!~!!
Old Sep 3, 2003, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Why not just get your car from the warehouse as an non public road vehicle and use it as a race vehicle? Rally anyone? or just a trailer ride? I hope their is a plan B if it doesn't meet road worthiness...
Old Sep 3, 2003, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Now you see why it costs $90K to get a Skyline GTR R-34 from MotoRex. They actually went through the crash tests (3, I believe - and for each model R32-R33-R34) to get the OK. Factor in the costs of those trashed cars, the import duty, a decent profit to make it worth while = $90K Skyline. If the importers tried to bring in full-spec Evo VIIs or VIIIs, the price would be $50,000 for certain. Just buy a standard Evo and get crazy with your pocketbook. If I added $20,000 to my car, RMR would install the ACD in my car (they have an ACD and a Euro VII dashboard), I could get a Cusco front diff, some outrageous brakes, more carbon fiber than Scuderia Ferrari and tons and tons of HP. Is it really worth it to say you got a JDM or Euro-spec Evo???

The final nail in the coffin is that evo magazine in the UK said the US-spec car was more fun to drive since it was more mechanical and less technologically dependent. Just a thought.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 08:40 AM
Account Disabled

Hey Senor.
is there any where that shows if a petition has been approved or denied?the skyline got approved and stuff.but if you look at the petition and all of the other stuff about it.it all says pending.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 06:34 PM

1/19/2000 U.S. DOT/NHTSA - Notice of Decision By NHTSA that Nonconforming 1990-1999 Nissan GTS and GTR Passenger Cars Are Eligible for Importation
Docket # NHTSA-1999-5507-7

(emphasis mine)

The GTR stuff does't say "pending" anywhere.

There is no "Notice of Decision" for the Evos yet, for better or worse.

Last edited by Gatecrasher; Sep 6, 2003 at 06:37 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 02:16 PM
Account Disabled

Why doesn't EI just crash test the ****in thing and get it over with.......
Old Sep 7, 2003, 04:39 PM

Why doesn't EI just crash test the ****in thing and get it over with.......
Because that would drive up their costs by an order of magnitude. They'd be forced to sell a car at $50,000+ when a near-identical version exists at $30,000 that you can purchase and drive home that night, instead of waiting 5-9 months (or more!) for some importer to plow through the government red tape and BS.

Even if they can sell them for $30,000, is it really worth waiting almost a year just so you can brag that "I have Super AYC" ?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 05:07 PM
Account Disabled

I still think the only way to finally put this thing to rest is crash it........slam the thing into a wall at 50 or 100 or whatever let it fail or pass....probably fail and then be done with it.

Second, they wouldn't have to sell cars for $50,000....that'd be like splitting the cost of an evo 7 between two cars.....I think there are more than 2 people with there money locked up in EI and G&K.

I think they'd have to had maybe 2-3 k to each car if they crash test one and wanted to offset the costs onto the buyers.

Now if it were a PROFESSIONAL outfit they'd crash one as a part of their R&D before they made the petition, before they sold any and before this whole mess started.....you know the major automakers swallow the cost for crashing there own cars.....so EI should swallow the cost for it.

I'm really tired of hearing this crap......if you want an Evo buy an 8....and if you have problems with the paint and clutch then re-paint it and change to a CM Stage 3...or stop doing burnouts dumbass.

People ***** and complain so much that they can't have there Evo 7......try living in Canada...we don't have the Evo 8 and the STI will run you $50k IF you can even find one.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

09/03/2003 U.S. DOT/NHTSA - Notice of Receipt of Petition for Decision that Nonconforming 2001 and 2002 Mitsubishi Evolution VII, Left Hand Drive (LHD) Passenger Cars are Eligible for Importation
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:45 AM
Account Disabled

??
Old Sep 16, 2003, 03:54 PM

Ya, I wanna bump this one too, what does this mean now?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm... so let me see if I got this right... If you look at these two statements:

1/19/2000 U.S. DOT/NHTSA - Notice of Decision By NHTSA that Nonconforming 1990-1999 Nissan GTS and GTR Passenger Cars Are Eligible for Importation

09/03/2003 U.S. DOT/NHTSA - Notice of Receipt of Petition for Decision that Nonconforming 2001 and 2002 Mitsubishi Evolution VII, Left Hand Drive (LHD) Passenger Cars are Eligible for Importation

The Skyline was a "Notice of Decision" while the Evo7 was a "Notice of Receipt of Petition"... So from what I see, the Skyline statment was that the NHTSA has "decided" that it was legal to import. However, the Evo7 statement says that the NHTSA acknowledges that they have recieved the petition to make it legal to import, but have not decided if it is legal to import or not...
Old Sep 17, 2003, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

The title quoted above is merely the title of the petition G&K submitted. In the title, you are to say briefly what it is that you are requesting. They are requesting that, with NHTSA's approval, the Evo VII will be eligible for importation.

It is not the final ruling that it is legal. That will come as a seperately filed NHTSA document.

SC~
Old Oct 3, 2003, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi Plays Hardball

Folks may remember that Mitsubishi's comments on the Evo VIII petition were late and lame. This time, for the Evo VII petition, Mitsubishi (through its counsel) definitely has all its ducks lined up in a row. The Mitsubishi comments on the Evo VII petition arrived 4 days before the end of the comment period (which is today) and may be viewed at:
http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf88/255879_web.pdf

Mitsubishi's comments provide some interesting insight into some internal structural differences between the Evo VII and the US Evo VIII.

I can't imagine how it would be possible for NHTSA to approve this petition.

Quick Reply: Evo VII NHTSA Import Petition Announced