Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car got broken into :( Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of viper alarm is that? a model number please
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

A lot of the Viper alarms have a pager now. You can add a pager onto existing Viper systems too.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

and this all happened in the afternoon? where in socal do you live? east LA?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

IMHO:

Alarms don't keep glass from being smashed. Alarms don't keep your car from being vandalized or prevent things from being stolen off the seats, console, etc. As a general rule alarms only make noise - and in 95%+ of all car alarm cases, it just gets ignored by the general public. When was the most recent time you ran towards a noisy car alarm to protect the car?

You can probably get the glass replaced for less than a couple hundred dollars. Your $1K deductible insurance won't benefit you at all here.

Using a gun to protect a car? In California? Got bail money?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 02:42 PM

haha my valuables were out of sight in the glove box!! those bastards hatin i tell yah. How hard is it to install a drive side window myself?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure of all the models that have it, but that pager is from the 791xv. Trust me, don't get it as it's more of a nuisance than it's worth. I had one on my Evo and my brother has one on one of his Supras. It's not that it's a bad 2-way pager. It just drains the battery FAST. My evo had the tip sensor, proximity, glass break.....a lot of extras.

This is the one my brother has on his TT Supra and I've already purchased for my Evo once it's done being fixed.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1213046768256

The remote is sweet. You can't see the LED lights at all until they are turned on. Plus it has remote start for manual transmission compatibility. And alarms don't warn other people as much anymore, but a 2 way lets you know it's your car that's being broken into. The distance on the 5701 rocks from what I can tell.

Of course my brother works for BB so we don't pay anywhere near those prices and installation is free. I paid full price for my original Evo with the 791 and it was EXPENSIVE!!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

sry to hear
Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to hear. what school do u go to?
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
IMHO:

Alarms don't keep glass from being smashed. Alarms don't keep your car from being vandalized or prevent things from being stolen off the seats, console, etc. As a general rule alarms only make noise - and in 95%+ of all car alarm cases, it just gets ignored by the general public. When was the most recent time you ran towards a noisy car alarm to protect the car?

You can probably get the glass replaced for less than a couple hundred dollars. Your $1K deductible insurance won't benefit you at all here.

not true..alot of theives actually will kick your tire or hit the car first to see if it has an alarm on it to begin with....if he had one, that would stop it in that case, or if they smash the window and hear alarm go off, chances are instinct will make them run instead of stickin there hand in to take his watch....

to the op, you should lower your deductables..i too have 21st, and its like a 50 dollar increase for 6 months, to drop to a 50$ comprehensive and i have 100$ collision....

check the for sale for a part out, someone may have a driver window for real cheap
Evolved Member

My car got broken into twice within a week (turns out it was a local gang that was doing it to sell the stuff they stole to "help the community") and I got the alarm (viper) and just that blue flashing light can deter people as they don't want the attention.

My advice would be to get the glass fixed out of pocket like mentioned and then get a decent alarm. Next don't leave anything in your car. I don't even leave my headunit in my car at night or my iPod in my car at all.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Craig King

+

=

These are not going to help you. I have the same alarm and four guns + concealed carry and I have the same thing happen to me twice . Thief do it when you're not around. Range on the pager does go very far.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
Exercise your rights brother!!!! LOL

Josh

+1 I had to post this up =P

and for the bigger emergencies

Old Oct 26, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

suck bro, same thing happened to me, broke my drivers side window and took my valentine one radar.....i just got it fixed without insurance it was like $170 to replace the window
Old Oct 26, 2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the support guys, Just cleaned my car out today and ordering a new window on Monday or Tuesday hopefully.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Q15H
IMHO:

Alarms work when the car is parked outside your house, otherwise people ignore them.

Keep your valuables concealed in your center arm rest or in the glove box.

pay out of your pocket to get it fixed. Trust me a watch to a crack head is priceless.

I learned my lesson when some crack head smashed my window to get my bookbag that I left in my back seat and my crappy CD player (this was back 7 years ago and I was driving a $hit box at the time)

Quick Reply: Car got broken into :( Advice?