Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A growing division

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
in my experience, i won't neccesarily go for the cheapest price when considering a part for my vehicle. i look for a combination of price, performance and peoples opinion of the product. (research). i do go for name brands more often than not, but that is because they are proven. i wouldnt buy "greddy or tanabe", just on the name alone. for example, when i do get a catback for my car, i will be getting a megan because of the price and alot of people haven't complained too much about quality. for more engine intensive parts, i.e. cams, or whatnot, i would spend a little more just to know i have a quality proven part. i want to build a tasteful, reliable car with good parts. not to say chinese parts aren't that good, but to me, they don't have the r&d to back them up. it's up to the individual what they spend their money on period. but kids always get picked on for having prowings instead of nikes.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off I think its interesting that the OP hasn't said anything since the thread started. I would like him to clarify the intent of the thread.

When you say cheaper parts that aren't inferior what are you referring too? (My assumption is parts from China, ebay, etc. are the target here...only because that is what members posted about immediately.)

I ask because less expensive parts aren't always cheap depending on where they came from. Also, is this exclusively new or do you include used??

Examples:

In terms of "NEW"....Rexpeed makes some awesome carbon fiber parts that are identical to other vendors products. Not inferior in any way.

How about used parts? I've seen people sell front mounts, turbo kits, etc. for half of what the original cost was in excellent condition. It's the original product so it can't make it inferior at all....yet the price point is half of the original.

The OP should hugely clarify the thread.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallesasuaz
It's not about the name brand....

it's all about the Quality.
The problem with this is...... all the "name brand" stuff, is where 80% of the "quality"stuff is!!! No matter what you do or where it comes from. Be it China, Russia, Germany, USA. something as stupid as a cigarette lighter. Would you buy brand A (no name)when it will only last you for....... 184 strikes, and cost $.68, or brand Z (brand name) that cost $1.29and will last for.......... 8437 strikes?!?!

Last edited by mini_evo; Oct 27, 2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Cheers!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_evo
something as stupid as a cigarette lighter. Would you buy brand A (no name)when it will only last you for....... 184 strikes, and cost $.68, or brand Z (brand name) that cost $1.29and will last for.......... 8437 strikes?!?!

very well said.

i try and buy used parts because it is cheaper. i dont go for no name brand parts though.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Show me a vendor who hasn't sold some Chinese built parts... matter of fact, show me a car that does not already come with some Chinese made parts, that's not the point though. Also, please notice the first half of the sentence. That group gets smaller by the day... not always due to "competing with Chinese parts". Far too often people concentrate solely on that which they are fixated on.
I thought mitsu was pretty adamant about not using Chinese parts ?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

sorry about the delay, stuck at work pretty late

my original intent was to try and minimise the "flamation" that has been pretty rampant. I just read last night a thread about brake pads, where individuals were intent on flaming more than one poster about using "cheaper" brake pads. IMO, it was completely unnecessary for that.... one gentleman was simply trying to put it out there that thes pads he purchased and installed worked just as well as stockers, with less dust and significantly less noise and he was virtually crucified for it.
Now say this guy never said that, and i followed all the suggestions when i finally do purchase an evo,( which thanks to some news i just got should be within a few months) i would be stuck with loud and dusty brake pads. This guy just saved me some change and maybe a couple headaches

in closing, all im saying is that the flamers shouldn't be so quick to break out the flamethrowers. learn to respect ppl's opinions.
end rant
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:58 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Show me a vendor who hasn't sold some Chinese built parts... matter of fact, show me a car that does not already come with some Chinese made parts, that's not the point though. Also, please notice the first half of the sentence. That group gets smaller by the day... not always due to "competing with Chinese parts". Far too often people concentrate solely on that which they are fixated on.
Easy to say when youre a vendor that exclusively distributes knock-off products.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBS
Easy to say when youre a vendor that exclusively distributes knock-off products.
how is megan knock off products? and its not too smart to be an *** to a moderator
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aryder
how is megan knock off products? and its not too smart to be an *** to a moderator

I hope you realize where the name "Megan" was derived from?

Let alone the market they first targeted.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

please school me on the brand name megan so that i will know. its just ive never read about them being a knock off company until this thread because the evo scene is the only car scene ive ever been in so i dont know about hondas or whatever parts it was
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mini_evo
The problem with this is...... all the "name brand" stuff, is where 80% of the "quality"stuff is!!! No matter what you do or where it comes from. Be it China, Russia, Germany, USA. something as stupid as a cigarette lighter. Would you buy brand A (no name)when it will only last you for....... 184 strikes, and cost $.68, or brand Z (brand name) that cost $1.29and will last for.......... 8437 strikes?!?!

Not to say I support knock-offs over original but...
The problem with this is, you use this on a pack of cigarettes which contains 20 cigarettes. You need only one strike per cigarette and for those unwilling times 2 or 3 strikes. You would like to keep brand Z lighter for the next pack of cigarettes but how many people have used one lighter till it is completely out of gas?
How many people use the same part on their car for the lifetime of the car? Most of the time people are just going to get the cheapest alternative to just get by untill they can afford something better. Believe me, if I was given a car and a cash amount to mod it, I will not hesitate to buy the best performing products for it. But since we live in a real world and have to pay bills and buy food, etc.. we have to plan our budget wisely. Sorry but if I ended up homeless due to unwise spending, AMS or Buschur will not take me in for being a loyal customer.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by BBS
1st, I'm a part time vendor (don't sell much, and don't want to) yet with service that speaks for it's self... my customers speak to that. I found a reasonable substitute back in 03' for reasonably priced parts when I could not believe the JDM gouging and crappy service... the more vendors we have that have come in to fit that bill, the more I have faded away in that aspect.

2nd, please, please show me the original product Megan "knocked off" that I offer to members. PLEASE offer that up for all to see. However, you might best first check to see which ones I actually do offer, and which manufacturer actually manufactures them, and under what other brands those parts are labeled.

3rd, my point from the beginning
About the only way you get what you pay for these days is from a VERY small group of US vendors, a small handful of Chinese built parts...
is TO the point of the OP. Granted, not well spoken. One does not have to have $1500 of "JDM catback goodness" to serve the purpose. One does not need $1200 of "JDM FMIC goodness" to serve the purpose. So on and so forth. 95% of the Evo owners will never see 500 whp, so when a $400 catback will serve the purpose, you do NOT get what you pay for when you get talked into, pressured, whatever into believing you need to spend twice that much.

The OP's point seems to be right in line with that.

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 27, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by aryder
...and its not too smart to be an *** to a moderator
I don't know if you are trying to help or hurt... but I find it offensive that one would believe that just because I have a few tags under my name, that ANYONE can't disagree with me or any other person on this board. As long as it's within the rules, my opinions/experiences are merely from one member to another.

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 27, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Good points all......

But show me one product that is Innovative by Megan Racing? So in-fact they are a knock-off company, producing products that other companies have already done very well. Any company can come along and change only 20% of the product and be allowed by copyright laws. This redesign/change can be anything from finish to a very very slight bolt/nut/fastener alteration, but still be a copy of the original. Take a look at the Megan Racing Evo Manifold, which is Very similar to another companies product. Yes the Megan Racing Manifold is a decent power producer, but it has known weaknesses such as cracking, warping. Why; becuase it is made out of very cheap Stainless Steel, and of poor design. If you want a cheaply priced product by all means use these cheap products, but you will also be trading for problems down the road. Then you will have to spend even more $$ to replace the cheaply made cracked manifold with another....simple economics...pay for it once or pay for it twice...

However let's go back to my original post about the Megan Racing Evo Downpipe at $159.00....tell me how that product can be made by an American company? It can't..that is way too low of a price point for any USA company to be able to produce and profit at that retail price. Remember that is suggested retail after several distributors have had their hand on the product and it has been shipped all the way from China..Think long term, Megan Racing does not Innovate they just produce parts that are cheap to make and have already been produced by other USA companies.....I know I'm harping but I appreciate Innovation....look at AMS, Buschur,et;al USA companies; just how many products for the Evo have they brought forth that would never have been produced...had it not been for their efforts to Innovate and design new exciting products. Both of these companies and other USA companies are leading the way in making the Evo faster, and more exciting to own/drive/race/modify....tell me How a Chinese company has done anything similar to this?
And I'll grant you if you took a poll of any serious Tuner what was their worst mistake? Buying and expecting cheap parts to perform....would most likely be the answer, serious Tuners use serious products...

This is just my $.02's worth....