Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A growing division

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Celica2EVO
I can see both sides of this story as I have been on both sides.

When I first got my evo I didnt know about Buschur racing being a couple hours away from me. Well I got ebay parts and a few parts off vendors that were less expensive. My Megan manifold cracked the first time. Bought another one but ended up selling it. So for the only part that made pwer was the Megan 02 housing. At the time I got beat by a friend with less mods and a tune by the same person. These parts just werent adding up. They also had little to no warranty or customer support.

Well then I found out about Buschur racing. That is where my current build is from. Im not saying that you have to go to Buschur, but most vendors like them are close to the same idea. There is great customer service. Something wrong, they fix it. You dont get that with cheap parts usually. Also, compare Buschur/AMS "dyno testing" on here, and then look up say megan or turbo xs! Who gives ALOT more back to the community? Buschur has a new post almost every day with products and test results. Ive never seen a knock off company posting actual results on here.

Now for the person just looking to get around 400 hp and drive his car every day. Can he get cheap/ebay parts with a decent tune and enjoy the heII out of his car? Absolutely!

But when you get to my level where you are squeezing to get every last little bit of HP out of the car and are willing to upgrade parts for that extra 5hp, will cheap parts work? NO NO NO! This is when a pruven combo works the best and is rarely beaten. At this level you cant just slap parts together and expect the same result. Its not going to happen.

And as for Megan, the Megan coilovers is what I run on my car. They happen to be made by Apex'i and nearly identical to the N1V, are you going to call those cheap junk? doubt it.
Wow, I am going to agree with you on many levels. The right combo of parts are imperative when your searching for the most power possible. Having the reliability of a car built with parts that have been proven is also a relief day to day.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NVmySKILS
you guys have gotten so far of base, its not even funny.......whats going on was not the purpose of this thread, it was to stop the rampant FLAMATION that goes on......see my previous post on page 2
Wish that could happen, but it must be obvious by now that it will never happen. Sorry, I'm out of the thread then as any attempt to defend the stance (allowing people to peacefully buy what they want) only fans the "flames"...

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 28, 2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Celica2EVO
I can see both sides of this story as I have been on both sides.

When I first got my evo I didnt know about Buschur racing being a couple hours away from me. Well I got ebay parts and a few parts off vendors that were less expensive. My Megan manifold cracked the first time. Bought another one but ended up selling it. So for the only part that made pwer was the Megan 02 housing. At the time I got beat by a friend with less mods and a tune by the same person. These parts just werent adding up. They also had little to no warranty or customer support.

Well then I found out about Buschur racing. That is where my current build is from. Im not saying that you have to go to Buschur, but most vendors like them are close to the same idea. There is great customer service. Something wrong, they fix it. You dont get that with cheap parts usually. Also, compare Buschur/AMS "dyno testing" on here, and then look up say megan or turbo xs! Who gives ALOT more back to the community? Buschur has a new post almost every day with products and test results. Ive never seen a knock off company posting actual results on here.

Now for the person just looking to get around 400 hp and drive his car every day. Can he get cheap/ebay parts with a decent tune and enjoy the heII out of his car? Absolutely!

But when you get to my level where you are squeezing to get every last little bit of HP out of the car and are willing to upgrade parts for that extra 5hp, will cheap parts work? NO NO NO! This is when a pruven combo works the best and is rarely beaten. At this level you cant just slap parts together and expect the same result. Its not going to happen.

And as for Megan, the Megan coilovers is what I run on my car. They happen to be made by Apex'i and nearly identical to the N1V, are you going to call those cheap junk? doubt it.
Agreed 99%. BC makes Megan coilovers and Apexi's I believe. Good post
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't sure who the Top maker of that group was. I just knew that Megan and Apex'i were pretty much the same. And alor of people say Megan sucks, yet they will buy Apex'i. They'll say Megans are a knockoff POS and Apex'i is great. So it was just a point to prove they are still great parts.

But that you clearing that up.

To the OP. You intent will never happen. You should be proud that the thread you started has been unflaming for the most part and has started a great discussion.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:01 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NVmySKILS
... it was to stop the rampant FLAMATION that goes on......see my previous post on page 2
What fun would that be?

This thread evolved in a far more interesting direction. Personally, I don't give a rat's *** about a part's country of origin. When choosing high-performance parts, I look for two things: R&D/testing and quality. Folks often buy parts that come from non Evo vendors, parts that have not been tested on hundreds upon hundreds of cars just like ours, parts that have not been refined over time to perform optimally and that makes little sense.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

i tried

well, at least i could say i tried...to the flamers

FLAME ON
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

I guess it all comes down to what you want out of your car. If you want the best of its potential, you can buy quality parts that have a lot of R&D and quality behind it but don't forget where a lot of R&D comes from...the Evo community. The people who aren't afraid to try new things to see if they work well, then provide feedback to the rest of the community. The vendors provide R&D to develop these great products but the consumers also have a part in it. We provide feedback and reviews of what we have used so our options for modding our cars keep evolving in directions suitable for any Evo enthusiast.