Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A growing division

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A growing division

start rant
As a memeber on here for the last couple of months, i have noticed as massive division between members. The individuals who go all out and spend hundreds and in some cases thousands on the best for their cars. Some of these ppl drive their cars everyday while others barely do......I am not calling names as I don't have names to call
On the other side, we have the DD who constantly risk getting flamed for buying more reasonable stuff for their cars and are flamed when they say those "inferior" parts works just as well.

All im asking is cant we all just get along.
end rant
Oh and BTW, since i know its gonna happen regardless
Attached Images  
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

It has nothing to do with just evom, anyone will tell you... you get what you pay for.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rawburt
It has nothing to do with just evom, anyone will tell you... you get what you pay for.
/\ one of the most incorrect and misused statements in the industry

With that said, I expect this thread to be VERY short lived...

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 27, 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:56 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeus

About the only way you get what you pay for these days is from a VERY small group of US vendors, a small handful of Chinese built parts, or build it yourself! Otherwise, this is one of the most over inflated markets in the ecomomy.
In terms of covering the costs of dynotesting, product development, research and development, fabrication, USA steel costs, company overhead, the market is priced fairly. It is the communities choice to buy a product based on its pricing and quality.

The outsourcing of work to China is a contributor to the failing USA economy.

We do sell some China made products however one cannot help but wonder how it impacts our USA economy.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Show me a vendor who hasn't sold some Chinese built parts... matter of fact, show me a car that does not already come with some Chinese made parts, that's not the point though. Also, please notice the first half of the sentence. That group gets smaller by the day... not always due to "competing with Chinese parts". Far too often people concentrate solely on that which they are fixated on.

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 27, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's sad that members are persecuted for trying to spend the ever shrinking dollar best they can. The layman will want to try and blame Average Joe for the market due to his choice in spending. However, those with a clue know the cause goes MUCH deeper.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I have some of the not so popular brands on my car and it performs with or outperforms my friends cars with the same mods from popular manufacturers. Just my two cents.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sky's the limit when it comes to combinations... and especially the TUNER!

BUT, there are much "better" parts than others. It's just a matter of whether one NEEDS parts that much better.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

its easy to go with whats been proven. its "usually" cheaper to go with whats not. in either case, if you get there (your goal) screw it. i think it really boils down to preference. never be afraid to try new parts and companies, at the same time you can never go wrong with proven parts and companies. but hey what do i know, just another guy trying to build a car im happy with.lol
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
I wouldn't go that far.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

It's not about the name brand....

it's all about the Quality.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Zeus, seems like you're taking this thread to heart. Original poster hasn't said anything since.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

I have a close friend that has Megan Turbo manifold, it has cracked at least 3 times....Yes you get what you pay for....I agree about some parts, for instance the Megan Racing DownPipe, there is No Way a USA company can produce that part for $159.00....no way....this particular part works as well as more expensive brands, but it is made of cheap stainless and the fitment can be spotty at best.
As TTP has mentioned about how we send too large a percentage of our GNP to China. We are in-fact raising their standard of living while the USA's is going down.
Don't get me started about cheap Chinese parts, we are a a research and development and manufacturing company. We see all the time where a cheap Chinese knockoff comes outta no-where at an unbelievable price. We can't compete against that sort of market manipulation. One day that will catch up with the USA...get ready for it...it will be here before you know it...enjoy your Evo while you can.
Also as for as buying from USA company "A" or Foriegn Company "B", there are Other issues that come into play as well. What about customer service, warranty, guarantees, and even a particular company giving back to the Evo Tuning Community. The USA is known for many admirable traits, such as work ethic, honorable customer appreciation.
To me it's Not all about the $$ but I try to look at the long term when buying modification parts, or service from a company. I know if something is too good to be true it usually is a time bomb waiting to blowup in my face. If I have a problem will this company be there to help me out, will they be there to offer additional parts that have yet to make it to market.

Last edited by Q@EvoPowerMods; Oct 27, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

There are many reasons for this. The most obvious one is that people are going to tell you from their own personal experiences whether it be by something they have read, learned or a combination of both what works for "them". There are very few companies let alone individuals that have tested every available part and then did extensive comparisons and after that UNBIASLY recommends the best product. Zeus has hinted at the bigger picture of economics and that is another reason why.

My recommendation to you is to do your own research and then after making an informed decision buy what works best for you whether that means buying the most expensive product or the cheapest one. Just be aware that sometimes the least expensive is the cheapest made and the most expensive is that way because of brand name it is up to you to discern the difference.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:28 AM

If people wanna try to save money by buying inferior parts then who cares???

It's like a gamble... buying more expensive items usually just gives you more chances that it will not fail!