Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A question 400+whp Evo's...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhood1
400 hp is used to merge in traffic getting on the highway.... I thought everyone knew that.
+1 it also keeps the amount of time it takes to pass a car to a minimum.
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Adrenaline - pure and simple.
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostfiend
Purevibez I can understand that point of view. Which is why I haven't knocked the pleasure side of it, I guess my other question should be for those of you have it or have had it how many times have you used it?

This is not a thread to insult or deter anyone from modding, I just thought it would be a good thread to start as a discussion amongst car enthusiasts. Surely I've a lot of mods on my car and still more to come for next years track season.

To provide further acknowledgement of my understanding I'm a car enthusiasts as well (DUH I wouldn't be here if I wasn't lol) but I'm just a track junky. Beyond that I get enjoyment from watching the car sit, or working on it and pondering up ways to fix design flaws (the mechanical engineering side of me). I like the design, tuning, and engineering perspective more than I do a street drive.
I am in no way saying your not and enthusiast atall. you are on the forum.lol. i think its great all of us from different racing backgrounds, drag,road race, cone killers, and street enthusiast can all talk.

for me, i track my car when i can, drag or cone racing i enjoy building my car, i enjoy researching parts and reading reviews. doing it better as the time goes by. as i get faster and the car grows, i drive it on the street simply because i enjoy driving it (it is my DD aswell). i think the car was made to be driven and thats where you enjoy it, wether track or street. I wont lie and say ive never done a few pulls on the highway. its always nice to know its there and it puts that big grin on your face when u do, do a full third,fourth,fifth gear pull and watch the clock run out,lol. just my 2 cents anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

maybe I'm just use to it, but 400hp is not like out of control fast for everyday driving. It's a hobby, and especially with an Evo, just a few bolts on will get you to 400. Why get an Evo at all, a civic with less than 200 hp is good enough for everyday driving.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have over 500, i go to the track maybe 4-5 times once winter is over. ill never put a cage in the car, its way too clean to hack it up.

its so fun laying the smack down on pretty much everything on the street
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Boost got love it
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by diiirk
maybe I'm just use to it, but 400hp is not like out of control fast for everyday driving. It's a hobby, and especially with an Evo, just a few bolts on will get you to 400. Why get an Evo at all, a civic with less than 200 hp is good enough for everyday driving.
It is pretty hard to drive on the street fast. Maybe not in stop in go traffic because you're not going anywhere but I've seen people say I can drive 400whp with ease then come track time it's a different story. The other side is everyone thinks it's not fast until you find yourself doing a backroad run with people who can drive and you're fishtailing all over the road in the midst of nearly killing yourself from smacking a tree.

Then again its all relative, different backgrounds need different tools
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Boost got love it
lol perfect response.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

"It is pretty hard to drive on the street fast." Not really if you went to the dmv and saw my driving record it alone would diprove that statement
I think it is all relative to each persons driving abilities and idea of what a daily driver is. Out here by detroit on the streets you can find dozens of american car enthuisists that drive around daily in built v8's that are closer to the 1000hp mark. Many that have never seen a track. My Built wrx that i previously owned was drivin daily strictly on sunoco 100 putting down just under 500 to the wheels for over two years without ever making a single pass at the track. Many of us enjoy builds as a hobby and are simply not interested with tracking our cars as there is enough competition locally
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by booster9
and for the people that think were dumb for "dumping money" into our car and well never get it back.. well unless its a collectors edition, its the same way with anything.. why dump money into a brand new house if your going to lose so much value as soon as you step in it.. why buy a TV? why buy anything?
You know the 10 year rule. Investing money in a home is ALWAYS worth it in the long run

I agree with everything you are saying tho. You bring up a good point, people dump money into seemingly pointless things because it's what makes them happy, regardless of what it may be worth down the road.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
if you enjoy something then keep working at it. people get used to the power the car was making so they add more to it to make it more powerful then they get used to it so they add again
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

A Z06 pulled up next to me on the highway and I just slummed my head down and let him keep going..I wish I was at the 400 whp mark....

that's why people do it.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

It feeds my EEEGGGOOO
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well why make any supercars then? I mean heck almost ALL of them are 400+.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see where you're coming from boost fiend. I mean, that's the argument I use against modding a Lancer or any FWD. Traction/handling failure.
However, everyone has "gotten on it" on the street. Whether they're stock or 400+whp. That's why modding happens at all levels, and doesn't matter the manufacturer of automobile. As far as hp hurting you at the track, that's a real thread to debate about. There is a balance of power and traction. Actually, having 400+hp and not getting on it would be a crime. Lol.
And most people are probably at least some what (not limited to ) into drag racing.

ps I bet AMS' time attack evo has over 400 whp

Quick Reply: A question 400+whp Evo's...