Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problems left and right

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2003, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems left and right

I must be really fortunate or else a lot of Evo owners are just dying to find something wrong with their cars. After seeing posts about fried clutches (usually after a ton of 5,000 rpm launches), loud noises (did you want a Lexus IS instead?), gear noise, shift quality, brakes being loud, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Enough already! If I really wanted to **** and moan about my car, I am sure I could find something. However, I realize a car is a machine that has to make noise to operate. If you want to have total silence, buy a used Lexus LS400 - I've never been in a quieter car. If you want to see what real noise is, go for a ride in a race car. The Evo is the way it is for a reason. The Evo is not meant for everyone. I understand legitimate complaints (a tire delaminating, a warped rotor, a fried clutch after normal use, etc.), but enough *****ing about every little thing. Honestly, I would not be surprised to see a post about scratches on the exhaust or chipped paint on the factory springs. Damn...
Old Sep 3, 2003, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

I have documented proof that my Evo was directly responsible for at least two infractions of the Moving Vehicle Code for which I was subsequently blamed. Somebody has to step up and take responsibility for this madness!

-Josh
Old Sep 4, 2003, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Chris. I think you hit the nail on the head. Some people are just hyoersensitive about their cars. And if this is their first time owning a 'fast' Japanese car, they will hear noises and feel things that they never would in the Camry they traded in for their Evo. And that hyper sensitive ear makes them needlessly worry sometimes.

Here is my view on new cars. Drive em, don't worry about the noises they make. Wait till something actually breaks to make a warranty claim or to complain.

SC~ 13k with no troubles
Old Sep 4, 2003, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

right on chris....

the only problem i've had is my ABS light is on, and its because my lateral g-sensor, went bad
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Pretty much I agree with everything said here but Mitsubishi missed the boat as far as understanding the American market and typical use (drag racing), that high performance cars see here. They must have seen it somewhat to put the clutch line restrictor in place in an effort to isolate the drive train from pure clutch drops. Other companies test against foreseeable "abuse" and strengthen the necessary components. Admittedly this is harder to accomplish in a high traction AWD car.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Location: 85296, 99519, 96817,98310,07306,10461(HomeSweetHome), & 00739
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I make it everyday to visit this web board....spent countless hours reading, resulting to too many hours staying up at night. Now I suffer from insomnia. Loss hours of productivity at work, excessive lateness, and discussing Evolutions to IT professionals, instead of discussing work flow processes. I'm on my third write up for disciplinary attitude....and WORST I don't even own an Evo yet...I am suing Mitsubishi Motors of North America for PAIN and SUFFERING!
Old Sep 4, 2003, 08:44 AM

well...after my incredible test drive, i was going to buy an evo, but now i'm not so sure...what with dogs pissing on it, park benches attached to it, other peoples names all over the brakes and seats, and weird hissing noises coming from the engine, i just can't justify parting with 30 grand...but then i think back to my test drive and i get a funny feeling, like when you used to climb the rope in gym class...seriously, though...i just don't know which camp to believe, can this incredible car really come from a company as bad as people are making mitsubishi out to be ?...i REALLY want to buy this car, but i'm getting nervous about it turning into a nightmare...i've long been a vw person ( no flames, please ), and have had nothing but great service and reliability with some VERY heavily modded cars...i've never had a warranty issue for any mod i've done, and in fact, my dealer has done some of the mods for me...i'd just like some feedback on this, as i am planning to buy a new car real soon, and want to make the best decision...thanks
Old Sep 4, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 1krautburner
well...after my incredible test drive, i was going to buy an evo, but now i'm not so sure...what with dogs pissing on it, park benches attached to it, other peoples names all over the brakes and seats, and weird hissing noises coming from the engine, i just can't justify parting with 30 grand...but then i think back to my test drive and i get a funny feeling, like when you used to climb the rope in gym class...seriously, though...i just don't know which camp to believe, can this incredible car really come from a company as bad as people are making mitsubishi out to be ?...i REALLY want to buy this car, but i'm getting nervous about it turning into a nightmare...i've long been a vw person ( no flames, please ), and have had nothing but great service and reliability with some VERY heavily modded cars...i've never had a warranty issue for any mod i've done, and in fact, my dealer has done some of the mods for me...i'd just like some feedback on this, as i am planning to buy a new car real soon, and want to make the best decision...thanks
I'm European and have owned VWin Europe. I'm glad you had a good experience with them, 'cause my Passat was a POS. We don't have a Lemon Law in Switzerland that is quite as consumer friendly as it is here. I've owned a number of products and did not have any problems with them.
Basically, you're reading posts from about 2 dozen people with problems (some of which aren't even legitimate problems) out of several thousand owners. Given the percentage of presumably good vs bad experiences... well, it's your choice.
I'd say the choosing a good dealer will be harder, but infinately more important to a good ownership experience.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Evomk8 is right. No matter what you buy, you will have some products that perform like they should and some that are considered lemons.

For example, lawn mowers (not nearly as complicated as cars, but it has an engine and tranny). A select few will have noisy engines/tranny's and then you also have stupid people that don't deserve to have a mower b/c they break it themselves and want something done. Same w/ cars. There are a handful that have problems, but the majority are out ripping up the roads.

If you are worried, go buy a STi and have your engine ping and then go BOOM. Now that is a problem.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:01 AM

i spoke with two mitsu dealers in two separate states they both said trade in value of my evo (with 600 miles not a month old) is 20,000. hopefully when the prices come out in kelly blue book and NADA it will be different,but the dealers still dont have to give you book on it. if anyone has found this not to be true around the country let me know.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Don't forget the CAI. Let's get into the discussion as to whether or not it produces more power.

Oh, and we can't forget the APC stickers! That is the best bang for the buck power adder on the market today.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Nice post Chris. I definitely agree with you. In every board people are always gonna post problems but this is too much.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

you know its funny, the other day im driving down a 25mph street doing about 160mph and i wanted to downshift into 3rd becuase i should be able to, just becuase. so i did, and my engine went boom and i started skidding around. this piece of **** car!!! thats its im getting strictlybidness to help me sue mistubishi becuase i was mis shifting, speeding, and being an all around ***.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Gotta agree with Chris here, i'm only at 2200 miles, but not a single problem (knock on wood), I think the car feels / runs great!
Old Sep 4, 2003, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

The other day I took this sharp left hand corner in 2nd @ WOT and I felt the left front tire grab and pull me through.

Now I'm pissed b/c my car is supposed to be AWD, but I only felt the left front. Do I only have one wheel drive?

Quick Reply: Problems left and right