Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it worth it to buy a IX over a VIII? (interior)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i love my IX interior
Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, hate the VIII seats, love my IX SE seats.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:24 AM

IX=end of thread
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

I say 8, that is what I have but have driven in 9's but still imho like the 8 seats better. No dought the 9's mivec gives it an advantage, but I still prefere having the 8's fourth gear which I believe gives it an edge over the 9's with the shorter fourth which can hurt if your into 1/4 mile or dragging. Plus odds are you will find an 8 for a better price which will give you a head start on extra money for upgrades. Guess it boils down to personal preference though.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

I think the Evo Ix Developers didnt even think about the dash or radio.I imagine choice of radio going like this
"Awd,check,286 hp,check,aluminum everything,check,now what are we gonna do with that big hole in the dash??"

Originally Posted by godmiller10
the recaros feel SO NICE. You will love them in the 9. But ya when I'm driving the evo and look at my stereo or dash, i think how cheap it is, but idc. Upgrade your factory stereo w/ an in dash dvd or something then and maybe a few gauges and your satisfied. get a 9!!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

IXs respond VERY well to basic bolt-on mods with a tune. Plus I love my IX MR SE!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

almost bought an VIII but then once i drove and sat inside the IX, it was game over.. I chose my IX over and VIII with the SSL package.. Those seats felt like garbage and the leather is just cheap feeling, and hard. IX all the way
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 06EvoIXmr07
I think the Evo Ix Developers didnt even think about the dash or radio.I imagine choice of radio going like this
"Awd,check,286 hp,check,aluminum everything,check,now what are we gonna do with that big hole in the dash??"
Hahahaha so true!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverBulletIX
The way I see it, the IX was perfected verision of that generation. You won't have any regrets...
Couldn't agree more...
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

coming from a guy who also sold his Z for an EVO, I wouldn't consider the VIII for many reasons. Some more obvious than others include the inclusion of MIVEC, slightly improved tranmission compared with the VIII, better looking interior, better overall physical appearance, not to mention that they made more VIIIs than IXs. The IX was only out for 2006, although, stockpiles on dealer lots didn't fully run out until the X was released. The IX is therefore a rarity when compared to the VII and VIII although each run on the same CT9A chassis.

Some other things to consider, the benefits of purchasing a IX over an VIII is that the IX is also newer. So you run a better chance of purchasing a car that still has a large portion of its useful life remaining. I am talking about the drivetrain, and any plastics or seals that eventually fail due to climatic changes (hot vs cold, the expanding and contracting of plastics and seals leaves them vulnerable to premature failure). Ultimately the climate, and how a car was maintained, and housed, reflects how long theses oil based products will last.

Buy the IX, i promise you will never look back.

p.s. overall, i have heard from nearly every side of this board that the IX is a much more refined racing machine over the VIII and VII. I guess as refined as a 4g63 powered EVO can be, right? hehe
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Evo Ix Mr Se Ftw!!!!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647

B) (and this is a big one), the transfer case is stronger / more durable. Rally, and race drivers switch to the VIII transfer case in their IX's for durability. The ACD is great, but it is a weak link. It's been harder and harder to find VIII transfer cases because they are all being bought up.

D) The VIII is easier to tune if you're into tuning yourself. Mivec can be a pain in the *** sometimes.

Never heard of B or D before. Any proof?

and

How does Mivec make it *harder* to tune?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
B) is easy to prove. Ask English Racing. They will tell you how many VIII transfer cases they have been putting in the IXs. The ACD goes out a lot. In fact the transfer case / ACD clutch I'm selling is out of a IX with 2500 miles on it. The guy wanted his car built for rally and decided to go with a VIII transfer case for durability. Mainly, to ditch the ACD that is prone to the clutch going out. Ask MidgetSpec about it.

D) Mivec can be a ***** to tune for since you aren't tuning on a linear step. You have to tune for each Mivec step. More to tune than a regular 4g63.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 9 interior is the same as the 8 your guys are tripping, I've had both. The only way the 9 is better is because of the motor - MIVEC, bigger cooling passages, bigger turbo, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

EVO 8 FTW! Traditional NON-Mivec 4G63 Powered machine do it right. As for looks. 8 with SSL package is the same all around minus the lame fake carbon fiber dash part, which looks better in the 8 IMO The 9's front bumper is an upgrade from the 8 I will give it that. Im a traditional DSM guy anyways so maybe thats why I say go with the 8
Peace

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to buy a IX over a VIII? (interior)