Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Odometer swap

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run a carfax... see where, what, and when the mileage was reported...
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is definitely stored in the cluster not the ecu or anywhere else
only way to find out would be dealer notes for service or car fax for things like inspection
but that is not even for sure because you can swap out the odometer on the car to another one, let the miles build up, then inspection time or dealer time swap it to the original and the miles are still low

how do u figure it has more miles on it anyways?
The following users liked this post:
japspec (Dec 3, 2018)
Old Nov 1, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

I swapped mine out Miles are on the cluster. If you swap it then it will show a different millage.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i actually just did this on a saturn(lol). some tweeker was installing a redline interior into an ion 1 sedan. cluster and all. the cluster had it's mileage in it and the body control module actually stores the real mileage. the cluster worked but mileage was not clocking. i called the tech assist center and asked if i could retrieve the actual mileage for him. (although i knew i couldn't, just trying to please the customer.) TAC told me if the cluster was new, the bcm would populate the cluster with it's number. if the bcm were new, it would populate the numbers from the cluster. change both without knowing the true mileage and you would have to get a sticker from the dmv. (unknown mileage.) i would say if the mileage is clocking, it may have the correct mileage. but like everyone said, take it to the dealer to be sure. good luck.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What signs make you speculate that the odometer was swapped out? Just curious.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lemmonhead
if you doubt the legitimacy of of the odometer. take it to a dealership to verify. I seriously doubt anyone would mess with that since that is a Felony big time.
ROFL felony,

Man, u must be naive. Yes The miles are stored on the odometer and yes you can easily swap out one odometer for another one with less miles on it.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by itzcharlez
its only stored on the cluster. change the cluster = new mileage. although the cluster should have a vin number on it and you can try to match it up with the car... not sure if it does though
I have a cluster in my hands right now, and there is NO VIN on it.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no laughing matter, check with your local legislation. here is floridas law stating its a felony. It is a Felony for anyone to knowingly tamper with, adjust, alter, set back, disconnect, or fail to connect an odometer of a motor vehicle, so as to reflect a lower mileage than the motorvehicle has actually been driven
http://www.flhsmv.gov/

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
ROFL felony,

Man, u must be naive. Yes The miles are stored on the odometer and yes you can easily swap out one odometer for another one with less miles on it.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:53 PM
Admin Alumni

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
ROFL felony,

Yes, and in most jurisdictions you go to jail for altering the odometer. Not a laughing matter at all.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

So in conclusion, unless the person that sold this Evo was stupid and would risk getting a felony for a couple grand. This Evo was simply treated like s***t for the low number of miles that it was driven for. It happens, I've seen cars with low miles look like crap, and I've seen cars with a high number of miles look very clean. It simply depends on how they were treated.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ep41382
run a carfax... see where, what, and when the mileage was reported...
Do what this guy said. We can sit here and discuss the technical and legal ramifications all day. But a carfax will tell you real quick if something strange happened.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

if you get a new OEM gauge cluster, its starts with 0 miles. and i dont think its stored anywhere. get a carfax and check for roleback.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:23 PM

hey guys sorry i have not gotten back about your questions i have not been on too much lately. So, my friend that bought the car decided to talk to the previous owner about it after reading up about the location of the mileage. The previous owner couldnt answer any of his questions and said that if he didnt have a phone call by the end of the day to come and pick up his money that he would be calling the athorities about a fraudlent report of mileage.

taaadaaaa ! the end of the day his phone rang and he promptly went over and picked up his $$$$ and dropped the car off to the ripoff artist.

In the end it all worked out, he got his $$$ back and now he said he wont be jumping into another evo without fully checking it out.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

thats pretty nuts... I know someone who had their Acura TL Type-S modified so that you flipped a switch and it stopped counting miles but also the speedo didnt work. Kind of sucked because the more miles the thing got put on it the worse the car would run due to missing repair intervals. the car was financed and eventually it got picked up because they defaulted and luckly nothing has come back to haunt them for the bogus mileage
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

lol. tht's sum amazin stuff. a flip of a switch can make a odometer stop reading.

Quick Reply: Odometer swap