Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Going to Buschur :) cams and new turbo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Buschur :) cams and new turbo

ok so far ive done all my mods myself or with the help of friends, also had a local tuner who did some pretty trick **** i.e. no lift shift, anti-lag, and raised too step w/ fuel cut removed so ive been pretty happy but im getting a bit more serious now.

this week im shipping it to Buschur for hks272 cams, valve springs/retainers and headstuds. And a new clutch. I was perfectly content with this but after a lot of debating (money) i've decided to do a little more so im going to upgrade the turbo to either a green or red but i can't decide.

I figure after I talk with Buschur tomorrow they can steer me in a direction but i was hoping to get some thoughts here.
current mods
upper and lower br hard piping, w/ delux core fmic.
mbc
full 3inch tbe w/ cat delete
shifter bushings
br intake
mini batt kit(obviously)
hks ssq bov
brembo slotted rotors
hawk pads
tein springs
and some stuff im sure im forgetting

so ive been debating, do i get the red and maybe a few small support items, like injectors and such
or do i go green and use the extra money to add a few more goodies, and what would they be? port work? meth? etc..

eventually i prob will build the motor but this shopping trip is going to tap me out for a while so whatever i leave with is how my car will stay for some time. I like that the green spools lower and prob more fun daily but i dont want to regret not getting the red.

so lets here the opinions, especially if you have the red or green
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

The green and red are only a hundred dollars apart so the money saved by going green is minimal unless you buy used. With the spreading of E85, I wouldn't bother using meth. I've used both and prefer the E85 for its low price and the fact that you only have to worry about filling one tank.

That all being said, unless you already have a red at your disposal, your not going to be getting one anytime soon so that would leave you with the green. You also might be interested in CBRD's new turbo, the BBK. They have two versions available, the lite and full. The lite is similar to the green and the full is similar to the red and the bonus is that CBRD has enough supplies to furnish about 100-150 BBK turbos almost immediately.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:26 PM

hmm yea availability was a concern of mine, and i can use my current IX core for the green so its actually 800 cheaper for me to go green than red
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Why hks 272? Go with Buschur BF272
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:32 PM

hks have mivec, and stock or even a 20g really isnt big enough to support them i dont think

Last edited by lst4g63; Nov 2, 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

oh my bad...I didn't see you have Evo 9.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by lst4g63
hks have mivec, and stock or even a 20g really isnt big enough to support them i dont think
Why HKS? There's WAY better cams available for the IX, such as the Kelford cams and GSC cams.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Fp5r
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:33 AM

hahahah i think lack of sleep was getting to me i dont know what i was thinking!

I HAVE COSWORTH 272 mivec, every time i wrote hks i thought something was wrong.

yea no hks for sure
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd stick with the Cosworth cams. I run them in my IX. On a side note I'm selling my ported/gasket matched fp-green (aka 20g-lt) with only 3k miles on it. I used it this season and it is an amazing turbo. I've run 11.1 on pump and 10.90 on race gas. PM me for more details if you are interested in it!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

You might want to ditch he HKS SSQ BOV unless you are running a standalone.

The BR deluxe FMIC is good but you might want to get the Race core; it will save you money down the line.

Just wait a few more months to get all the parts you want for your setup and do everything in one session .
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 6-speed
You might want to ditch he HKS SSQ BOV unless you are running a standalone.

The BR deluxe FMIC is good but you might want to get the Race core; it will save you money down the line.

Just wait a few more months to get all the parts you want for your setup and do everything in one session .
u named my 2 regrets, ssq is recirculated though.

the race core has been nagging at me, if i go green(which i prob will) then that is a likely choice
Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

1. go with the gsc s2's if your upgrading the valvetrain
2. im sick of hearing ppl whine over vta bov's...ive ran the hks, greddy type s and rs, turbo xs rfl, and the hks ssqu all vta and NEVER had ANY issues
3. if you don't have a red, and wanna do this stuff soon, go green, b/c i waited about 2 months for my red
4. forget meth, go with e85
Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by griffeyr
1. go with the gsc s2's if your upgrading the valvetrain
2. im sick of hearing ppl whine over vta bov's...ive ran the hks, greddy type s and rs, turbo xs rfl, and the hks ssqu all vta and NEVER had ANY issues
3. if you don't have a red, and wanna do this stuff soon, go green, b/c i waited about 2 months for my red
4. forget meth, go with e85
not complaining about my bov but it really wasn't worth the money