Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Which Vortex Generator would you buy?
Rexpeed
59.17%
OEM
40.83%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Rexspeed Vs Oem Vortex Generator

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I worked with two other guys who own Evos. They have OEM VGs. I have a rexpeed. You cannot tell the difference. The OEM has the fins angled away from the center as well.

Rexpeed may have different generation VGs, but the fins on mine look just like the ones on my buddy's OEM vg.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I voted OEM.

I don't trust copied functional items
Old Dec 12, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to see the differents btw the 2.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by i8yourSTi
If you don't have a wing on your car, the VG serves no purpose other then aesthetics.
Not true. The VG is definitely beneficial to a wing, but the VG has benefits on its own. From Mitsubishi's technical paper on their VG:
"Factors contributing to the effect of VGs were verified by conducting measurement of total pressure, velocity distribution and CFD. As a result of the verifications, it is confirmed that VGs create streamwise vortices, the vortices mix higher and lower layers of boundary layer and the mixture causes the flow separation point to shift downstream, consequently separation region is narrowed. From this, we could predict that VGs cause the pressure of the vehicle’s
entire rear surface to increase therefore decreasing drag, also the velocity around the rear spoiler to increase, and the lift to decrease. The delta-wing-shaped VG, which demonstrated high effectiveness in this research, is planned for commercialization as an accessory for sedans after slight modifications to the shape with respect to design, legal conformance and practicality."
So in other words, the usual void that forms against the rear window, which in turn creates drag, is filled in by the air disturbance the VG creates, thus lessening the drag. Take a read through the technical paper (there's even pics to make it simple to understand). It's an easy read, and only about 6 pages of semi-technical content:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...004/16E_03.pdf

As far as Rexpeed versus Mits, I know the Mits piece is wind tunnel tested, so unless Rexpeed copied it exactly, I'd question the effectiveness of the Rexpeed piece. Rexpeed's manufacturing quality is excellent (I rock their Gurney flap).

There are morality issues about purchasing originator parts versus knock-offs (do a search for threads that AMS and other vendors have made their case in) that I'm not going to get into; I understand both sides.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:43 AM

Thanks i8yourSTi! I too have been on the fence about a Rexpeed wanting an exact copy of the OEM.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

havent bought one yet but from what i can see the rexpeed is cheaper and looks exactly like OEM....AND it comes PREPAINTED....in which the OEM only comes in Eisen Gray or white now i believe
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NYC4g63IX
havent bought one yet but from what i can see the rexpeed is cheaper and looks exactly like OEM....AND it comes PREPAINTED....in which the OEM only comes in Eisen Gray or white now i believe
Mitsubishiparts.net is selling them in graphite gray, eisen gray, cool silver, and igloo white for the lancer. Does anyone know if those would fit evos?

Last edited by PWevo; Dec 14, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:44 PM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PWevo
Mitsubishiparts.net is selling them in graphite gray, eisen gray, cool silver, and igloo white for the lancer. Does anyone know if those would fit evos?
Go almost to the bottom of the page in the link below. They are only available in EB.

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=510
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:27 PM

Alright here are some comparison images from the web:

Mitsubishi OEM:

Rexpeed:

FQ400 OEM:

FQ400 again OEM:

Rexpeed:

Titek:
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Titek to compare to Rexpeed.

Old Dec 15, 2008, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PWevo
That's why I asked if they would fit on the Evo, which people have told me yes. Now I'm just curious if they are designed any differently than the ones made for the Evo.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:51 AM

Any updates i8yourSTi?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Ive got rr rexpeed vg and it's nice the color matches the paint perfect I just don't think I put enough adhesive on cause at both ends it won't fit down all the way very slight gap though
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
There are morality issues about purchasing originator parts versus knock-offs (do a search for threads that AMS and other vendors have made their case in) that I'm not going to get into; I understand both sides.
thats funny cos i know ams actually started selling rexpeed parts.. and them debating against it and then selling their parts?! guess they were convinced that rexpeed works
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by N3VO
Ive got rr rexpeed vg and it's nice the color matches the paint perfect I just don't think I put enough adhesive on cause at both ends it won't fit down all the way very slight gap though
Is it because of the fitment or lack of adhesive?

Quick Reply: Rexspeed Vs Oem Vortex Generator