Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Loss of long-term / ignition off power

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of long-term / ignition off power

My evo is having a weird electrical issue. Before my alternator went bad, it was working fine.

Now, my trip odometer resets every time I turn the car off. The "normal" odometer works fine. My power door locks work when the car is running; but not when the car is off. My keyless remotes work, but only when the car is running.

My stereo does not work at all, so I just removed it to troubleshoot.

I'm at a loss, but it seems to all be related to things working only when the car has power. There must be some kind of relay, harness, or something that controls these things. I'm 99% sure it can't be a fuse, as I didn't see any bad ones, and the fact that these things (except the stereo) work while the car is on, but not while it is off.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:19 PM

Go to your underhood fuse box and find your IOD connector. It's obvious when you open the fuse box cover what to look for. It's a bright yellow square-shaped plastic piece that circles 2 fuses. This IOD connector is used to disable any circuits that may drain power from the battery. This connector works by pushing it down or pulling it up to push the 2 fuses into the fuse box or pull the 2 fuses out of the fuse box. When pulled up, the fuses are essentially 'removed', and will not provide power to the circuits that it protects. From what you describe, this connector may be pulled up to the 'disable' position. Push this connector down. Then check to see if your problem is fixed. If not, then check these 2 fuses. These will be the ones that are blown.
The connector does not move by itself, but if someone else had replaced your alternator for you, they may have pulled the connector while repairing your car.
Let me know if this works for you.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I gave it a try, and while the fuses did push down slightly, it did not resolve the issue.

I've noticed when I'm sitting at a stop, I can hear something (solenoid?) on the driver's side somewhere between the steering wheel and the firewall that randomly makes a slight pumping noise.

I just got another CEL when I went to pick up lunch, so I am going to pull the code on that and see what it says. Probably unrelated (previous ones were).

Thanks for the help so far!
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Ah! I was at the office and didn't think to check the fuses when I pushed on the connector. After looking at the fuses, indeed, my constant 12v was blown! Pulled one from the headlights (10) to check, and voila .... dome lights, keyless, door locks again!!

Thanks a ton Jahnny!
Old Nov 9, 2008, 01:01 PM

No problem, glad it was only a fuse. Did you ever find out what DTC caused your CEL to go on?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 08:52 PM

glad you figured it out. Will help someone in the future im sure