Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What would you do in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What would you do in this situation?

So I have decided that I am obsessed with the Evo. I love it. I want a blue one. I want one now.

However, I am still under my lease with the 330i. I went down for a 2nd test drive today and worked out some numbers... the payment comes out to $3 less than my current 330. The specifics of that aren't important (except that the 330 would be traded), what's important is this:

Am I crazy for trading my 330 for an Evo?

I was standing in the parking lot after the drive thinking to myself, "My god I love my 330, but the Evo is so much damn fun! Will I be alright without heated seats, auto wipers, power seats, a headrest, leather... can I do it?"

It's not that I'm a pompous *** mind you, I am just used to all of these awesome amenities and wonder how my adjustment would be. Would I hate myself after the deal went through?

I am 22 and I want something that I can have fun with. A leased 330i is fun for impressing people and tooling around in, and a great great driving car, but the Evo is what I am all about. Crazy performance, modding capabilities (can't do it on a lease unless you're crazy), SPORTINESS. And it's got 4 doors!

So I didn't go through with the deal tonight, and I'm driving an STi on Saturday. I figure I should at least give the STi a shot before I make a rash, seemingly-financially-stupid decision.

What do you think? Serious answers please, I am looking for a bit of input. Also, any ideas on Evo depreciation? Will it be the typical Mitsubishi plummet or collectible stability?

Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

BTW just to disavow any notions of immaturity, I have a job, I pay for my own life, never had any financial assistance outside of myself, so please hold back on the comments. No I don't want a cookie.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

no not at all in my mind. I got rid on my 528i for one. I also had a lot of sht on it, but it was so worth it!!!!!!
Old Sep 4, 2003, 05:57 PM

330i

get the evo!!!!!!! i just got rid of a 330i lease. talked my sister into finishing lease for me. any way i got a evo and my wife the 330 was actually hers. but anyway she got a 350z and she loves it much more then the 330i. the evo is completely sick as far as handling and driver confidence. good luck on decision if you decide on the sti (trader)haha let us know what you think.

scott
Old Sep 4, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. STi drive is Saturday so we'll see! I tell you I am more than obsessed with this damn car, it pulls so ridiculously hard. I was shaking with adrenaline when I got out of the thing.

Scott, what was the main reason you ditched the 330?
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

You sure you don't want a cookie? I've got a whole box of Nutter Butters here! MMMmmm. Peanut buttery! huhu

Well there is one thing you have to decide for yourself. Is the panache that is involved with having a BMW worth trading for an insane performance envelope? If it is, you won't be disappointed. And remember, being able to kick the 455 of 99% of cars on the road has a certain panache also!

SC~
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I traded a 2002 Z06 for my Evo. I don't regret it one bit.

Get the Evo.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:08 PM

re:

i got sick of it. i get tired of cars after a while it was nice but didn't do any one thing great. for the money. it wasn't fast it didn't handle that great.as far as sport cars go it obviosly was great for a luxury sedan but that got old. the evo every time you rip a exit at 100 mph and feel g force like you can,t believe you will completly forget that you have to manually turn on wipers.but the ride in the evo is very stiff although it does not bother me just so you know.
good luck
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
You sure you don't want a cookie? I've got a whole box of Nutter Butters here! MMMmmm. Peanut buttery! huhu

Well there is one thing you have to decide for yourself. Is the panache that is involved with having a BMW worth trading for an insane performance envelope? If it is, you won't be disappointed. And remember, being able to kick the 455 of 99% of cars on the road has a certain panache also!

SC~
Actually if you've got a fudge-covered oreo... but I digress.

Yeah the BMW image is a good one, but honestly I don't know if it's for me. I don't even tell people what I drive because they always go, "Ohhh a BMW?! Woooow..." and so on and so forth.

The ladies like it but how often do I drive to bars and park right outside? Never!! Imagine the dents and dings!

Seriously though, it's really not the image I'm worried about, it's creature comforts. I went from a Civic Si -> 330i and it was bliss, but I can't help but feel like this is a downgrade. Then again, it's a totally different animal and not to be compared, and I certainly don't believe (personally) that it's a true "downgrade". Just a couple of trade-offs you know?
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Re: re:

Originally posted by scottmori
i got sick of it. i get tired of cars after a while it was nice but didn't do any one thing great. for the money. it wasn't fast it didn't handle that great.as far as sport cars go it obviosly was great for a luxury sedan but that got old. the evo every time you rip a exit at 100 mph and feel g force like you can,t believe you will completly forget that you have to manually turn on wipers.but the ride in the evo is very stiff although it does not bother me just so you know.
good luck
That's how I feel. I give the 330 plenty of credit: it's quick, it's relatively agile, it's smoooooooth (that I6 rocks), it's comfortable as hell, it's sexy... but I think I'm ready for something new.

Breaking that owner/car bond is going to be tough though. =/
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I traded a 2001 Audi S4 for my Evo. It was heavy and too expensive to modify. I don't regret it.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Re: What would you do in this situation?

Originally posted by webguy330i
So I have decided that I am obsessed with the Evo. I love it. I want a blue one. I want one now.

However, I am still under my lease with the 330i. I went down for a 2nd test drive today and worked out some numbers... the payment comes out to $3 less than my current 330. The specifics of that aren't important (except that the 330 would be traded), what's important is this:

Am I crazy for trading my 330 for an Evo?

I was standing in the parking lot after the drive thinking to myself, "My god I love my 330, but the Evo is so much damn fun! Will I be alright without heated seats, auto wipers, power seats, a headrest, leather... can I do it?"

It's not that I'm a pompous *** mind you, I am just used to all of these awesome amenities and wonder how my adjustment would be. Would I hate myself after the deal went through?

I am 22 and I want something that I can have fun with. A leased 330i is fun for impressing people and tooling around in, and a great great driving car, but the Evo is what I am all about. Crazy performance, modding capabilities (can't do it on a lease unless you're crazy), SPORTINESS. And it's got 4 doors!

So I didn't go through with the deal tonight, and I'm driving an STi on Saturday. I figure I should at least give the STi a shot before I make a rash, seemingly-financially-stupid decision.

What do you think? Serious answers please, I am looking for a bit of input. Also, any ideas on Evo depreciation? Will it be the typical Mitsubishi plummet or collectible stability?

Thanks.
My friend I'm in almost the same situation (except my CL TypeS is paid off and I'm a year older) and I'm trying to rationalize the same exact urge. I'd be giving up the luxury, the image, and the reliability of the Acura for a much more fun car that might end up costing me a lot more to keep running and with a likely lower-tier dealership experience to deal with for service.

I'm not in a hurry to purchase though so I will wait and see. End of October at the earliest for me, probably later than that though.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled

330 is a higher quality car in every way, more balanced too as far as near 50/50 weight distribution and also better ergonomic engineering.

EVO IS FASTER, handles better, and is a raw race car, It'll **** on anything the 330 trys to do.

Luxury sport or all out race car, tough choice
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
personally speaking, i'd never drive a bmw. i just have a serious problem with its status image. i know that a lot of people that consider them WANT that image, but to me, it seems petty.

as for the amenities, i don't see a problem. i'd much prefer a car that was a basic, simple layout with all those power options and things. hell, i don't even want ABS. you won't die from not having those things of course, but are you a better person WITH them? does it make your drive a better one?

i've been around a lot of luxury cars much of my life and honestly speaking, they don't impress me. they boggle me if anything.

you've already said the evo is what you're all about. get that then.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: What would you do in this situation?

Originally posted by JRock

My friend I'm in almost the same situation (except my CL TypeS is paid off and I'm a year older) and I'm trying to rationalize the same exact urge. I'd be giving up the luxury, the image, and the reliability of the Acura for a much more fun car that might end up costing me a lot more to keep running and with a likely lower-tier dealership experience to deal with for service.

I'm not in a hurry to purchase though so I will wait and see. End of October at the earliest for me, probably later than that though.
Hah, that is funny. Apparently a lot of folks have gone the luxo-sport -> evo nuttiness route. I only wish my car was paid off.

The dealer service is an interesting point. I don't know how they handle things, but the bimmer dealerships are all about customer satisfaction. They are seriously hardcore about it. It would bother me but I'm not even sure if I'll be taking it in for any major warranty work anyhow (should I go the modification route). Not that I'm scared, it just might be easier to do it some other way (yourself?).

Quick Reply: What would you do in this situation?