Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warrenty Woes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:45 PM
Account Disabled

Location: Fort Bliss/El Paso, Texas (FIRST MR ON FORT BLISS!!!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a nutshell, the "space pirates," I refered to are those civilians working are supposed to do a number of things. Such as check fluid levels, let the car run idle for roughly 15 minutes then only driving within the confines of the gated, storage lot (roughly the average size of a walmart parking lot) in order to keep the tires in somewhat driveable condition and keep the suspension from bending worse then a pregnant stripper. When I initially took the car out of there the first thing I noticed was that the car wouldn't start. They pointed the finger at my viper alarm. So I in turned pulled the fuse out of my ash tray stating I had it disabled prior to turning it in. So they returned fire with "did you read the paperwork sarge?" Basically they're not responsible for lights, batterys, "normal," wear n' tear, and "non-substantial damage." Non-substantial damage = anything less then a certain dollar amount in damages is not chargeable to them. They never gave me an exact dollar amount of course. I got thumbed across the street to a pep boys and changed out my battery. The car was still acting funky so I had them hook it up to their car calculator looking thingy (real technical, huh?) but they said they couldn't get a good reading from it b/c the car was pretty new. So I hobbled down to Fort Bliss from DFW. The car sat in my driveway for 3 weeks while I was inprocessing my new unit and getting re-acquainted with the misses before I could take it to a shop. The shop I took it to discovered the abuse and called me back with the news. Upon doing some math I realized the car had roughly 3-400 extra miles on it. So I called the storage lot and was about to commense to some old testament type ***-chewing when I got this reply "Hey Sarge, you've had the car for 3 weeks, if you try to take us to court we'd just turn right around and say that you did it yourself in all your excitement from being back home, I mean hey you've had it for three weeks, right?" In other words, I was ****ed. I couldn't leave it on the actual installation because it would eventually be towed for being abandoned and there wasn't anyone left I honestly would've trusted it with regardless. My parents aren't home much so it may have done more damage to sit in their driveway and rot for the 13 months I was gone so I had to take the government storage lot. I took the car to a local pep boys here in Augusta, but they couldn't tell me much either other then it "could," be a problem before or after the cat, but again they weren't really sure. Meh, still stuck driving wounded until later I guess.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Good God my EYES!!!!!!! Use a paragraph, it makes reading it MUCH EASIER.

What kind of bozos were watching your car and why the hell would they make a comment like that in the first place?

You need to go there and handle your damn business. You go away to serve your country and come home to this? I would have a very sour taste in my mouth if I just came home from tour and some one said that to me amidst my car problems. Handle your business.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 05:25 PM
Account Disabled

Location: Fort Bliss/El Paso, Texas (FIRST MR ON FORT BLISS!!!)
They'd prosecute me for handeling my business. In all seriousness, it's past, but won't stop. You see when service members come back from where ever and they pick up their cars, its like being at McDonalds drive through. You order (gimme meh car) you wait in line (How many Evo's could they possibly have?!) , you get your ride (WTF?! I said "NO PICKLES.") but you've already left the drive-through lane and are stuck with it.
Well kinda, to be more honest most of us service members who pick up our rides from these places are in a forced-hurry. Hurry from where-ever to the storage lot, hurry to wait in line for them to bring your ride to you, find out there's a problem but have less then no time to do anything about it because you have to either report to your new duty station soon, or don't have the time/capitol to stay in the area while they monkey around with your paperwork/ride.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

I just came back from a year in korea a couple months ago and the dip$hits that were supposed to be looking after my car weren't. They were supposed to start it once a month, just like your storage place, but my battery was dead when I picked it up. I had to get a jump start leaving the place and then it died again at a gas station. Luckily after getting jump started by roadside assistance, I went to the dealer for an oil change and they replaced my battery for free under warranty.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck

Wow. That's a lot of drama from the space pirates that you trusted with your vehicle. Have you addressed your concerns with their superior? Is there any way you can file a formal complaint? You should of mentioned the miles immediately, but I can understand how you didn't notice it until later. That's an important lesson I learned whenever valeting or having my car serviced anywhere. Check my miles on the spot in front of them. Is there any log where your original mileage was documented when you dropped your car off?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kratzner
So I bought this beautiful IX MR back in 06 with barely 1500 miles on it. A college kid owned it for about two months, and had to let it go to pay for college. No biggie, I even had it checked out before I bought it. The kid actually read the owners manual and never even took it over 4K RPM's the short time he owned it. Perfect, I thought. Well I get deployed and when I get back I find the space pirates who the military appointed to take care of my car instead burned the clutch out entirely. I contacted the local dealership in El Paso and they told me they obviously wouldn't cover it, however I wouldn't have to put another stock one back in due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically (my legal-ese may not be perfect, sue me) it reads that if something goes wrong with the car or needs replaced, you are not limited to only what the company wants you to do. Now, this is within reason. If you blow your stock motor, putting a 2.3 stroker in it doesn't really apply. However, if your tires go bald, you don't have to get the exact ones that came with it. So, my clutch gets burned out, so I had another one put in, kevlar one so it may hopefully last longer. No short shifter, or anything overly special (or race-inspired but thats just me I guess). Well I get sent somewhere else in the country. My ACD lights all come on at the same time after shifting (various speeds/RPMS) and stay that way until I turn off the car. I've never really noticed any change in driving, but wanted it the checked out regardless. I bring it in to my new locale and they tell me I'm looking at around $400 in "diagnostics," because I no longer have stock parts on the car and will not be covered under warrenty. Talk about no love for the under-paid soldier. I haven't gone back there, but does anyone know what I can do for this outside of shelling out 400 of my favorite, hard-earned dollars ?

After clutch install you have to bleed ACD system. It is normal procedure after clutch replacement. Somebody who put clutch in didn't do that, or didn't take car to dealer after installation to let them do that.