Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warrenty Woes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:32 PM
Account Disabled

Location: Fort Bliss/El Paso, Texas (FIRST MR ON FORT BLISS!!!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warrenty Woes

So I bought this beautiful IX MR back in 06 with barely 1500 miles on it. A college kid owned it for about two months, and had to let it go to pay for college. No biggie, I even had it checked out before I bought it. The kid actually read the owners manual and never even took it over 4K RPM's the short time he owned it. Perfect, I thought. Well I get deployed and when I get back I find the space pirates who the military appointed to take care of my car instead burned the clutch out entirely. I contacted the local dealership in El Paso and they told me they obviously wouldn't cover it, however I wouldn't have to put another stock one back in due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically (my legal-ese may not be perfect, sue me) it reads that if something goes wrong with the car or needs replaced, you are not limited to only what the company wants you to do. Now, this is within reason. If you blow your stock motor, putting a 2.3 stroker in it doesn't really apply. However, if your tires go bald, you don't have to get the exact ones that came with it. So, my clutch gets burned out, so I had another one put in, kevlar one so it may hopefully last longer. No short shifter, or anything overly special (or race-inspired but thats just me I guess). Well I get sent somewhere else in the country. My ACD lights all come on at the same time after shifting (various speeds/RPMS) and stay that way until I turn off the car. I've never really noticed any change in driving, but wanted it the checked out regardless. I bring it in to my new locale and they tell me I'm looking at around $400 in "diagnostics," because I no longer have stock parts on the car and will not be covered under warrenty. Talk about no love for the under-paid soldier. I haven't gone back there, but does anyone know what I can do for this outside of shelling out 400 of my favorite, hard-earned dollars ?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

"Paragraph Woes"

Why not have the people who toasted your clutch pay for it?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats extreame on the diag charges. i would try another dealer. most shops only charge one hour diag time.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:39 PM

take it to another dealership...some are better about things then others usally...
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
"Paragraph Woes"

Why not have the people who toasted your clutch pay for it?
i agree. they where beating your car. they should be punished alittle
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Next time when you are out of the country....I will keep the car for you....I wont guarantee the tranny will be in one piece, but I can recommend a great dealership that wont overcharge you.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

hey bro im in el paso too so heads up.

dude the dealership here sucks. they have no clue about evos man i wouldnt even bother going there to be honest.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Space pirates

Who are these "space pirates" that the military appointed to take care of your car? I don't know much about the military so you'll have to explain to me how that works. Couldn't you of just left the car in your garage, military parking lot, or in a trusted family member's garage? Why do these space pirates have to drive it? Have you taken in up with them or your insurance company? The people that were authorized to drive your car while you were gone should be held liable if the military appointed them to "take care of it."

I doubt Mitsu will be any help. The claim they have "The best backed cars." However, just by searching millions of other similar threads, you'll realize they blacklist the majority of Evo owners whenever it comes to warranty issues.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution. I would be more careful who you leave your Evo with in the future. I would never trust anyone with it unless it's a family or friend that you can rely on.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Did dealership install the clutch? If they did, they should pay for diagnostic since problem started after installing clutch.
I also agree with replies. Person who burned clutch should pay for everything
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Oh mine is also in Army storage ran by civilians.
I hope its in one piece working driving condition or I'm going to sue them for every penny they have(free lawyer in the army =D)
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

ahahahhahahaha space pirate lol
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Dude...... I am stationed in Germany and last time we left to go play patty cake in the sandbox, there was a guy that had his car BURN TO THE GROUND!!!!(something about battery cable grounded out asnd sparked by fuel cell) Lucky for him it was an 89 BMW. But it still happened. he ended up only getting $300 for it from the storage facility.

There was another guy that blew his engine a week after we got back. Story is... the storage place was suppossed to check all cars for oil, coolant, air in tires, you know.. the basics. WELL... I guess they had one of the "summer hire" kids check his. well... he didnt get rembursed for it. They said it was his own neglect for NOT checking it himself.

Thank god I found a 3 car garage here!
Old Nov 6, 2008, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

dude, sucks to hear. If there are any other dealerships in your area bring it to them, otherwise find a good reputable shop to take care of it.

That's why when I went to the sand box my car was left with my father and I gladly paid 900.00 bucks to have it shipped back cross country to me when I got home. No on base storage for my Evo.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

I would get an OBDII scanner. You can borrow one from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts for free.

Maybe even buy Evoscan to see what the code is that its throwing and go from there.

These are DEF cheaper alternatives than paying 400$ just for diagnostics...

Good luck man!

-Bink
Old Nov 6, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Damn you guys are making me worrying about my car.
Only 2 months away from 15months tour without damn leave.
Did you ask insurance about this? Isnt insurance suppose to cover if something is wrong after storing car?

Quick Reply: Warrenty Woes