Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

When coasting to a stop, Neutral, or leave in gear ?!? NOT A REPOST

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When coasting to a stop, Neutral, or leave in gear ?!? NOT A REPOST

Im sure this was brought up 47 times before, but I cannot find a single thread in the recent past about this.
Anyway, the real reason im posting is because in the current edition of Car-n-Driver, they actually test the difference between leaving the car in gear or throwing into neutral when coasting to a red-light, or to a stop.

The aspect of being in gear 'in case of a sudden need to speed-up again' aside, just in terms of fuel economy, it is better to leave the car in gear, and let the drive-train pull the engine. it is mainly because of special ECU programming in most new cars which actually shuts off the fuel pump when it detects 'idle coasting'... no matter what your rpm is (since u r in gear), it is not gasoline that is reacting and forcing the pistons up and down, rather the engine is simply turning because of the wheels and drivetrain which are already in motion. the throttle body and fuel pump are closed
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

really it all comes down to your driving style
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

i do both. i can't imagine you'd actually be able to notice the change in gas mileage given they way we drive :P
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

I like to turn my car off, take the keys out, then try to stop without power assist brakes.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by baylorar
i do both. i can't imagine you'd actually be able to notice the change in gas mileage given they way we drive :P

i gotta agree. whether we argue about here, whether a magazine tests it out... its all the same. no matter how i try to change my driving style, or even driving routine every day, i still get 11-12mpg int he city, and like 19-20 on hwy (with a 6sp!!). cannot do a thing about it!
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friend with an s2k leaves it in gear claims to get 20 extra miles to the tank when compared to coasting. I tried it on 2 tanks and barely noticed a difference.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Leave it in gear. Save a bit of gas and be prepared to react more quickly if the situation suddenly changes.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Leave it in gear. Save a bit of gas and be prepared to react more quickly if the situation suddenly changes.
This.

I'll usually stay in gear if I'm coming up to a red light that might change to green soon, and I'll put it in neutral if I'm coming up to a stop sign where I have to make a complete stop.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stay in gear until rpms drop to about 2k, then just pull out of gear, no clutch.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

you get better gas mileage with it in gear. there was a thread about this before and tuner/mechanics/w/e said that the injectors feed little or no fuel (less than idle, if any) if the engine is experiencing negative load. i believe them. if you have a wide band also it will go all the way to its leanest reading so...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prind0
This.

I'll usually stay in gear if I'm coming up to a red light that might change to green soon, and I'll put it in neutral if I'm coming up to a stop sign where I have to make a complete stop.
who makes complete stops
Old Nov 8, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
you get better gas mileage with it in gear. there was a thread about this before and tuner/mechanics/w/e said that the injectors feed little or no fuel (less than idle, if any) if the engine is experiencing negative load. i believe them. if you have a wide band also it will go all the way to its leanest reading so...
yes thats what i wrote in the original Post above. the magazine did a test (only to see affect on fuel economy) and their results showed that leaving in gear is better for mpg.
also in the same article, an industry engineer said that most new vehicles have special cutoffs that momentarily turn off the fuel pump when the car is in gear but there is no engine load (i.e. coasting).

this whole thread is an FYI...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Stay out of boost, keep the RPM's under 3000 as much as possible, and as for coasting, it only really works if you are going down a hill. On flat ground it doesnt help since our cars have so much drivetrain resistance.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S6devil
i gotta agree. whether we argue about here, whether a magazine tests it out... its all the same. no matter how i try to change my driving style, or even driving routine every day, i still get 11-12mpg int he city, and like 19-20 on hwy (with a 6sp!!). cannot do a thing about it!
same here - getting crappy gas mileage is all a part of buying an evo
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spish
I stay in gear until rpms drop to about 2k, then just pull out of gear, no clutch.
i'm such a newb lol - i pulled it out of gear like a month ago with no clutch (no throttle obviously) and i about sht. i didn't know you could do that

Quick Reply: When coasting to a stop, Neutral, or leave in gear ?!? NOT A REPOST