Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Did the dealer mess up my Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the dealer mess up my Evo?

My evo was leaking trans fluid at around 7k miles. I took it in to the dealer under warrenty, they said the axle seal was leaking, which I thought was rather odd, but whatever it's under warrenty, they replaced it. Car now has about 12k miles on it, and I was driving to work today and the drivetrain started whining. It was whining a little louder then the exhaust. I have no idea what it could be. I got home and looked underneath and there is a lot of fluid on the bottom of the car. I decided to do the routine transfer case and rear diff fluid change. I changed the rear, everything went fine. I drained the front, and about 3.5 - 4 quarts came out. I think the dealer topped the entire differential off!! If I am not mistaken, it only takes about a half quart. Is it possible that they somehow messed some part of the drivetrain up by over filling it? After changing out the fluid I took it around the block, and it isn't whining as loud, but is definitely louder then it used to be.

I follow this write-up to change the transfer case fluid:
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPa...e7e950693d95fa

Any ideas what the whining could be?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a TC, by the description written. Shouldve taken it back to the dealer b4 replacing fluids. When going to the dealer always ask for the shop foreman
Old Nov 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

yea b4 doing anything, especially on a part like a transfer-case you should have taken it back to the dealer so that any parts with damage should be replaced at the dealers expense.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

When I bought my (, my second EVO)., it leaked from day one. come to find out they thought the leak was coming from the ACD fitting assembly. they replaced it, and it still leaked. after that they replaced the ACD as it was leaking from a non repairable area. could be you too.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
There is no way there was 4 quarts of fluid in the transfer case; just not possible. Are you sure you weren't looking at the transmission? That will hold ~3 quarts of fluid and would have been drained/refilled to replace an axle seal, but the transfer case wouldn't need to be touched.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by S2kracka
There is no way there was 4 quarts of fluid in the transfer case; just not possible. Are you sure you weren't looking at the transmission? That will hold ~3 quarts of fluid and would have been drained/refilled to replace an axle seal, but the transfer case wouldn't need to be touched.
I agree with this, no way there was 4 quarts in the transfer case.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 08:42 PM

I agree. It does not hold 4 quarts
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:04 AM

I drained the TC into a 5 qt pan which I usually use for all my oil changes etc. It filled it just as much as if I would have done an oil change. So I am guesstimating. I also drained the rear into the same pan. It filled a 5 qt oil container 4.5 qts. I am not imagining things. I checked the transmission fluid today, I only had to add about 1/10th a quart to the fill hole before it started coming out, so it's fine.

Would overfilling the transfer case damage it, and if so how? Is it possible the leaking fluid or additional pressure caused a bearing or something to go bad causing the sound. The sounds kind of sounds like a high pitched humming that gets louder as I go faster, and only under acceleration. Also, I am worried they might have filled it with the wrong fluid. Regardless if I drained it, or they drained it, the TC is still under warranty.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think you have the tranny and xfer case mixed up.

The tranny will hold 3 quarts of fluid. Its fill and drain plugs are almost directly under the air box.

The transfer case is right above the downpipe on the passenger side of the car. It won't even hold a single quart of fluid much less 4.

Your entire post doesn't really make sense.... you claim the car was leaking fluid but then when you drained the fluid there was 4x more than there should have been.

If you dealer did any work on the transfer case you MUST INSIST AND DOUBLE CHECK that they used Diaqueen LSD oil in the case. If they filled it with something else that could very well be the problem. What did you refill it with?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Definitly should have taken it back to the dealer.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Have to agree man something just not adding u there is no way that you can get more than a qt even into the TC or rear diff.

If you tried it would be spilling all the heck over you out the fill hole. Just not possible.

Your TC is no longer under warranty if you tell them you replaced the fluid they'll find every excuse in the book why its your fault
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:46 PM

I filled and drained the TC exactly where you said. Above the downpipe. Is there any other place they could have filled the transfer case from other then the fill hole? Is it possible that fluid was entering the transfer case from somewhere else and that is what filled the transfer case up? I am really at a loss here because you guys are saying the transfer case will not hold more then a 1qt, but atleast 3 qts came out of there. When I took the fill hole bolt out, the fluid just blasted out of it all over the place, luckily the pan caught nearly all of it. I fill it with diaqueen.

From what it sounds like though, I am screwed anyway because I change my own fluids.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im confused. Why would you be screwed? So long as you replaced the T-case with Diaqueen LSD oil (filled to spec, of course), you could go back to the screwlership and let them know of your subsequent issue.

They would have to invoke some asinine assumptions to try and stick the drivetrain "whining" issue as a fault of your own.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:44 PM

I had the same sounds that you are talking of. It is commonly known as the death whine because eventually your TC will give up. I had to take mine to ShepTrans and have them install a Stage II TC. You can give John a call and ask him. He is a really cool guy and will help you out. His number is (330) 832.2366 or go to sheptrans.com to do some research yourself. Hope this helps!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

As previously stated, it's just NOT possible for your TC to have 3Qts of fluid in it...

Please explain exactly how you filled the "TC". Also, please detail the orientation of the "TC" drain plug...was it horizontal?

I'm sincerely hoping you didn't drain your trans and put 0.6qts of Diaqueen in it...

Last edited by avengerhed; Nov 13, 2008 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Did the dealer mess up my Evo?