Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water Leak in back floorboard?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Leak in back floorboard?

We had a hard rain hear in NC yesterday evening. I went out today and happened to notice that the backseat floorboard on the passenger side was slightly wet. It was about a 12" x 8 " area that was wet. There was also condensation on the back of the floor mat. Has anyone had this problem before?

Brian
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

There's a recall on the ECU wire harness area at the firewall. Search the forum. You'll find it. Dealers will fix it. I got the problem repaired before Mitsubishi sent me the mail. Don't worry, nothing major.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

I thought there was a recall about the ECU harness. But this leak is at the rear floorboard in just that one isolated spot. I checked the rest of the car and it is all dry. It is only in that one spot. That is what concerns me. This leak is happening nowhere near the firewall.

Brian
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

This is also y there is a recall on it. Mitsu will test and seal the rear floorbed also along with the ECU harness.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. Thanks for the information. I didn't know they would seal the rear floor board as well.

Brian
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yea they will check the sills of the car to see if there are leakage. Its obvious yours does so my advice to you is to bring it back for service ASAP before your wires get corroded.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

I called my Mitsubishi dealer and told him of the problem. They asked for my last 8 of my VIN. I gave it to them and they called me back in about 20 minutes. It seems that this recall is not on my car. I have a water leakage problem, but I am not eligible for the recall. He said the recall was on the ECU harness at the body junction and not the rear O2 sensor harness that was leaking. He said to bring it by next week and they would try to find the leak.

Brian
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:46 PM

That same thing happened to me. I told my dealer about the recall after reading it here so they ran mt VIN and told me my car wasn't part of the recall. BUT I can hear water dripping by the passenger door in heavy rain.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Crock!

Originally posted by dr.Gonzo
That same thing happened to me. I told my dealer about the recall after reading it here so they ran mt VIN and told me my car wasn't part of the recall. BUT I can hear water dripping by the passenger door in heavy rain.
What a crock of Sheit ! People who have the recall haven't even found the problem and us who have the problem aren't eligible for the recall. How Ironic!!

Brian
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:59 PM

I'm think maybe i'll invite the manager for a ride to a carwash so he can tell me it's normal to hear a waterfall in my car.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Gonzo,

Let me know how that turns out!

Brian
Old Sep 5, 2003, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

the firewall is not the only place where the recall relates to. It relates to the seam welds under the car right under the ground effects. There are leaks in the welds and it allows water to get up in there.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, What Favre95 said. I watched them do my car. They ran a big bead of sealent from the front of the car to the rear on both sides. Just inside of the rocker panels. Theres seams inside there and you could actually see where the factory missed some spots. The robot must have been on the fritx for a couple days or something. Definitly get it sealed up or your gonna have corrosion problems. Take it to a different dealer if you have to. Yours obviousley has their heads in their asses.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Not every EVO is involved in the recall. I think it ends with vehicles built from April 11 forward. I have double check my VIN with Mitsubishi twice and with 2 different dealers.

But it doesn't make a difference. If you've got a leak they need to fix it under warranty even if it is not exactly the same root cause as those involved in the recall.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

so should people wait till they experience a leak or just have the dealer seal it? Unfortunately, the vin number isn't accurate. Does anyone have pics of where it was sealed?

Quick Reply: Water Leak in back floorboard?