Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

in the morning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i let let it warm up for about 10min
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Turn the car on and drive gently until its up the full operating temp. Sitting and waiting is just wasting gas and time; you're doing your car no favors. Gentle driving is the best way to warm up an engine since it helps get heat into everything like the entire drivetrain, not just the engine block.

Last edited by Kracka; Nov 12, 2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 on the OP saying it depends if your late or not A lot of people tell me warming up ur car is a waste of time and I do agree if you let your car warm up completely then drive away. Like others have said, once my temp needle starts moving, then I drive away and lay off the boost till its fully warmed up. I hate just driving right away because my car acts like an old b****. I hear all kinds of sounds and gota love the tranny when its cold.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
start it up and drive...just no boosting.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I let my car sit and warm up until the temp needle moves above the bottom line.. Then I drive in vacuum until my oil temp needle moves.

Question for everyone who drives out of boost: How far do you guys drive in vacuum? Like far into vacuum (light throttle/engine load) or near boost (0 PSI/I believe this is called perfect vacuum)?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:02 AM

i hit my remote start button 8 minutes before i head out :-)....by then, my car is idling perfectly and primed and ready for the daily adventures
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just dont boost right away until its warm then your
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have a oil pressure gauge and drive according to that because when it's normal that means my car is good to go. It's at 80 when i first crank her up and drops down to 20-30 (normal operating) which is when i get going. the pedal is very sticky before that and if i leave while its still cold my motor surges all sorts of funny ways.

warming up the car is more fuel efficient that running on cold oils in the motor. for some reason your car uses more gas when the car is cold. i did a paper/speech on fuel efficency and i have read, and it has been proven thru testing, that a cold car uses more gas.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
I don't boost right away, but I definitely have boosted while the car hasn't fully warmed up/not terribly long after the car's started.. I didn't think it would be that adverse for it?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 01:15 PM

I start it up and wait about 5-10 mins. After that you should be good.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 01:47 PM

I warmed my sti and rx7 up 100% before I went anywhere. I will do the same with the evo, my DD gsr however, I start it and go
Old Nov 12, 2008, 01:59 PM

When its cold outside I let it warm up for about 5 min or so, and just stay out of t he boost till its fully warmed up
Old Nov 12, 2008, 02:14 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ernald711
I have a oil pressure gauge and drive according to that because when it's normal that means my car is good to go. It's at 80 when i first crank her up and drops down to 20-30 (normal operating) which is when i get going. the pedal is very sticky before that and if i leave while its still cold my motor surges all sorts of funny ways.

warming up the car is more fuel efficient that running on cold oils in the motor. for some reason your car uses more gas when the car is cold. i did a paper/speech on fuel efficency and i have read, and it has been proven thru testing, that a cold car uses more gas.
A cold car will be in Open Loop and run a fixed A/F that is richer then closed loop. I think sitting in a parking lot for 10 minutes warming your car is going to burn more gas then driving lol. Plus the faster your car warms up the faster it will switch over to closed loop and a leaner map.

Driving the car right after start-up is not going to hurt it.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 02:23 PM

I let mine run for a minute or two just to make sure oil is getting where it needs to then start driving. I wouldn't drive it hard (boost it) until it's good and warm. Think about it...you don't want to jump out of bed when its 30 degrees and start running as fast as you can or maybe your a freak and you do.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

As SME stated, if the ECU detects a cold engine, it will dump fuel until the operating temp raises. Driving your car (under 3K RPM) is the fastest way to raise this temp.

From the California Energy Gestapo:

Here are some other Myths associated with idling.

Myth #1: The engine should be warmed up before driving. Reality: Idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. With today's modern engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before driving away.

Myth #2: Idling is good for your engine. Reality: Excessive idling can actually damage your engine components, including cylinders, spark plugs, and exhaust systems. Fuel is only partially combusted when idling because an engine does not operate at its peak temperature. This leads to the build up of fuel residues on cylinder walls that can damage engine components and increase fuel consumption.

Myth #3: Shutting off and restarting your vehicle is hard on the engine and uses more gas than if you leave it running. Reality: Frequent restarting has little impact on engine components like the battery and the starter motor. Component wear caused by restarting the engine is estimated to add $10 per year to the cost of driving, money that will likely be recovered several times over in fuel savings from reduced idling. The bottom line is that more than ten seconds of idling uses more fuel than restarting the engine.

Quick Reply: in the morning