Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

clanking noise when decelerating @ low speeds...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clanking noise when decelerating @ low speeds...

ok so for the last few days, I have noticed that when I back out of my garage, my car is making some kind of clanking noise, like something is loose... (in the middle/front of the car ) IDK??? Also when I take off, (1st gear) I let off the gas and I hear the same noise... (Sorta sounds like my HFC) Today I was slowing down to a light and it did it again when I engaged the clutch to put it in nuetral... First time I noticed it do it when I engaged the clutch. It doesnt do this all of the time! I had a buddy of mine listen for anything while I drove by, and nada... Seems like this goes away after the car has been driven for a bit...

any1 ever encounter this? Any ideas???

TIA
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you check you exhaust?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I havent had a chance to get under my car... I know thats probobly the first thing I need to do. I think I need a new jack! I was just wondering if any1 else had experienced anything like this? and what was the outcome?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

I just had something similar on my R32. I got under there and one of the exhaust clamps had rattled a bit lose. Only did it when it was cold.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird because I'm having the same problem right now with a clunking/clanking noise as I'm decelerating/braking at a low speed, and first starting off. The sound seemingly comes from the front driver side, but I can't find anything loose at all. I feel the clunking too, and it's just an annoying problem at this point. None of my friends hear the noise since it doesn't do it all the time either. It seems to happen most when I brake while coming to a stop on uneven pavement.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

good lookin out... I will definitely get under there 1 way or another.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drewdq
Weird because I'm having the same problem right now with a clunking/clanking noise as I'm decelerating/braking at a low speed, and first starting off. The sound seemingly comes from the front driver side, but I can't find anything loose at all. I feel the clunking too, and it's just an annoying problem at this point. None of my friends hear the noise since it doesn't do it all the time either. It seems to happen most when I brake while coming to a stop on uneven pavement.
YOu check your cv joints? Ball joints?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

my exhaust is like that right now. but i cant fix it myself cuz the bolts are rusted =[
so do yourself a favor and fix it asap
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by def1
my exhaust is like that right now. but i cant fix it myself cuz the bolts are rusted =[
so do yourself a favor and fix it asap
How bad are they? I had some wicked rusted bolts and got a kit that grips on to them really well I was able to get them out after I had the tools to do so. Also PB Blast the ish out of them.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drewdq
sounds like we are having the same issue. Except mine sounds/feels like its coming from the front/middle to passenger side... It was also happening for me on uneven plains, which made me think it was a shock or somethin...

My exhaust uses V-Band clamps, so I dont think it would be the exhaust. Im thinking its more like the HFC/3"adapter... But what do I know?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Guess theres only one way to find out. Get under the thing already. LOL
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Guess theres only one way to find out. Get under the thing already. LOL
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
if it's only when it's cold it may be your clutch/throwout bearing making noise
Old Nov 20, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

now that I think about it, when I had the HFC installed he had to use some different bolts... IDK? possibly rusted crappy bolts... When I get under the car, I will report back w/ the diagnosis... I really hope its not the clutch! No launching, and I mainly drive streets (under 3000rpm), and pamper the car w/ just under 11,000 miles, but I will definitley look at that if its not something simple!

thanx for all of the input fellas!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 02:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
I really hope its not the clutch! No launching, and I mainly drive streets (under 3000rpm), and pamper the car w/ just under 11,000 miles, but I will definitley look at that if its not something simple!
no no no, it doesn't mean it's going bad...evo's tend to have noisy TOB's

nature of the beast

I can't speak for the stock clutch but my ACT HDSS will chatter slightly when the car is cold

Quick Reply: clanking noise when decelerating @ low speeds...