Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

exhaust smell in car hlp!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust smell in car hlp!

i tried searching, but every time it would come up totally blank and i need to know if this is a problem or not.

i just installed my full turbo back exhaust and had a leak, had to drop the dp and tp to find it.
after fixing the leak and buttoning everything back up i cant hear a leak anymore but when i stop the car with the windows up and everything i can smell exhaust inside the car.
is this normal for a car with no cat or do i have a leak at the o2 housing and test pipe?
is there a certain way i should tighten it all up? dp/tp first then o2/dp or vice versa?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

I don't smell it in my car. I am guessing you have a leak still at your O2/DP. Did you put a new donut ring in there?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

nah the doughnut gasket looked fine it stayed right on the 02 housing and never came off, i mean i have one lying around its just the thing looked fine and was on there pretty damn snug so i figured it would be ok
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

This is common if you are running cat-less. Some people are more sensitive to the smell than others, I really don't smell it at all.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

air freshner my freind.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
This is common if you are running cat-less. Some people are more sensitive to the smell than others, I really don't smell it at all.
see i was wondering about that just because it seems weird how it gets into the car with the windows up. if its a leak and coming thru the ac it would have to be around the engine correct?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I know its tough times, but stop trying to commit suicide!!!

j/k

Yes you smell it with window down for going catless. But if you have strong exhaust smell with all windows and doors closed, then you have problem.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
I know its tough times, but stop trying to commit suicide!!!

j/k

Yes you smell it with window down for going catless. But if you have strong exhaust smell with all windows and doors closed, then you have problem.
damn it, thats what i thought.
so along with a oil change tonight i guess ill drop the dp again and change out the doughnut gasket.
you just break the old one off right? the new one slides right onto the o2 hoursing?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

ok took my 15 min break to drop everything and check it out, the doughnut gasket looked fine but of course to get it off i had to damage it. so lunch time ill be putting the new one on and giving it a shot, is there a certain way i should bolt the downpipe on?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evascst
ok took my 15 min break to drop everything and check it out, the doughnut gasket looked fine but of course to get it off i had to damage it. so lunch time ill be putting the new one on and giving it a shot, is there a certain way i should bolt the downpipe on?
No way to really bolt on the DP, but just make sure to retain factory spring bolts and dont over torque them. Make sure to tighten them enough or else you'll leak from there.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MaxKanisha
No way to really bolt on the DP, but just make sure to retain factory spring bolts and dont over torque them. Make sure to tighten them enough or else you'll leak from there.
cool thanks for the info guys
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

has to be a leak somewhere....i have 3 inch downpipe and 3 inch testpipe with a qtp cutout and the only time i smell the exhaust in the car is when the cutout is open
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok just to add my two cent in i know somebody said it. I have a a full 3" Nvidia exhaust test pipe and Perrin downpipe. Before i installed all this stuff i had a exhaust leak like yours in the car. My cat was bolted on one side and my downpipe had one spring screw and my o2 housing had a screw missing in action. In short i smelled exhaust pretty bad in the cabin. Once i replaced the complete exhaust system with the above i also got brand new spring bolts and a bolt for that housing. I installed it all. THEN I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER and had them torque all the bolts correctly. NO smell that could be your problem or the dount gasket. I just see alot of folks on here just putting stuff in not doing the proper torque and you wonder why stuff rattles or smells or makes noise spend that extra money to get it done right. But hey its your car
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

i printed the torque specs and i have a torque wrench, i also replaced the doughnut gasket at lunch and took it for a spin, the only time i got exhaust in the cabin now was when i came to a quick stop almost like the exhaust was catching up with me. windows where up and the ac was on so i am clueless now because there should be no leak what-so-ever. every gasket has been replaced....
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

This is normal, just think about it, there is a "recirculation bottom" you can push, everytime i get into the car this is the first botton I press, you should make it a habit. if you don't press it outside air can enter the car.

Quick Reply: exhaust smell in car hlp!