Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Factory MR gauges, Boost gauge accuracy, and other...?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by porsherules911
did u try mitsu?
Yeah I did went to the dealer and they could not find a part number or anything. Very discouraging.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

guys, no one still answered the 2nd Question!

on the factory MR boost gauge, is it possible to add bar/graphs to the face of the gauge, as i showed in the photos, and get an accurate reading thats beyond the factory boost level?
I suppose the answer would be yes, if the gauge itself can measure it, and its just that the face of the factory gauge ends on 1.5bar (while in reality the needle goes beyond the limit). however, the answer would be No, if the sensor itself wont be able to measure past the stock boost of 20-21psi, so then its useless and irrelevant to draw new bars on the gauge, cause it wont measure past 21psi anyway ???
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by S6devil
guys, no one still answered the 2nd Question!

on the factory MR boost gauge, is it possible to add bar/graphs to the face of the gauge, as i showed in the photos, and get an accurate reading thats beyond the factory boost level?
I suppose the answer would be yes, if the gauge itself can measure it, and its just that the face of the factory gauge ends on 1.5bar (while in reality the needle goes beyond the limit). however, the answer would be No, if the sensor itself wont be able to measure past the stock boost of 20-21psi, so then its useless and irrelevant to draw new bars on the gauge, cause it wont measure past 21psi anyway ???
To answer your question, the stock gauge's sensor goes measure beyond 1.5kg/cm^2.

Here is the problem and it applies to all gauges, not just the stock piece. As we gauge boost by the spike, the human eye can't always catch its orientation on the gauge - regardless of its accuracy - as the needle moves too fast. As such, it's very easy to fool yourself into thinking that the boost is set lower than it actually is. I've been there, myself. Why not eliminate the uncertainty and log your boost with a JDM MAP sensor? I'm assuming that you're logging the car already. If not, I wouldn't suggest playing with boost until you're able to do so.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=381975

This is what i did with mine.. i hated the factory gauges they were way too small and very hard to read IMO.. these gauges arent that expensive and i really like them. They seem to be pretty accurate but i did not have a chance to compare them to anything. They seem bright in the pictures but they really arent..

Just giving you an option...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

yours looks nice, and although i need some gauges, Im a big fan of everything thats stock, so i was kinda trying to avoid replacing the whole gauge pod. yes, the OEM gauges are tiny and hard to read, especially while driving and paying attention to the road, but i would still rather keep them, cause the whole panel goes well with the rest of the dash and console...

Im not worried about just looks, more worried that since im running more boost (23psi), my stock gauge ends on 20-21si, and i wanna see how/when it hits my max of 23, or whether it hits the max at all... i see the needles going past the limit of 1.5kg/cm^2, and it hits some empty space on the face of the gauge.
I guess since the sensor can measure more, i will just draw more bars on the face (as I showed and discussed), and try to get a reading off of that.

I agree with FJF that eventhough the gauge will show it, i wont be able to see it fast enough cause the needle only hits the max for a split second, and I wont be able to see it while driving... i'll either have someone else in the cr, or set up a camera somehow to tape what happens to the needle at the very max....
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

yours looks nice, and although i need some gauges, Im a big fan of everything thats stock, so i was kinda trying to avoid replacing the whole gauge pod. yes, the OEM gauges are tiny and hard to read, especially while driving and paying attention to the road, but i would still rather keep them, cause the whole panel goes well with the rest of the dash and console...

Im not worried about just looks, more worried that since im running more boost (23psi), my stock gauge ends on 20-21si, and i wanna see how/when it hits my max of 23, or whether it hits the max at all... i see the needles going past the limit of 1.5kg/cm^2, and it hits some empty space on the face of the gauge.
I guess since the sensor can measure more, i will just draw more bars on the face (as I showed and discussed), and try to get a reading off of that.

I agree with FJF that eventhough the gauge will show it, i wont be able to see it fast enough cause the needle only hits the max for a split second, and I wont be able to see it while driving... i'll either have someone else in the cr, or set up a camera somehow to tape what happens to the needle at the very max....
I completly agree with you about the whole stock looking interior.... Thast the main reason i dont want to change my stock radio.. I LOVE the way it looks in there.. (factory Fit is best).. i just wish they made an ipod adapter to fit the factory radio..
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63K
i just wish they made an ipod adapter to fit the factory radio..

OMG, + 100000!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

haha.. my friend is going to some shop tomorrow with his RX8 they told him they can order a ""Motherboard"" that will connect to his factory radio so he can connect his iPod.. We'll see how that goes lol
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

i use a wireless ipod connect which plugs into the 12v jack. wow what a nightmare... static gallore, it picks up every possible stray signal or noise on the street, and half the time it just doesnt work at all (and i got the best one on the market, Belkin, $90)
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

I added the stock gauges to my car and love it. I know that my gauges are very accurate for a stock 05, hitting 19 psi on WOT.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:06 AM

where did you source your info from regarding the MR factory guages? I don't think it's true. But then again, you are bound to find some defects/non properly functioning devices when they are massively distributed.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63K
I completly agree with you about the whole stock looking interior.... Thast the main reason i dont want to change my stock radio.. I LOVE the way it looks in there.. (factory Fit is best).. i just wish they made an ipod adapter to fit the factory radio..
OMG, + 100000!
They do have one sillys... But it's expensive.

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=541
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
To answer your question, the stock gauge's sensor goes measure beyond 1.5kg/cm^2.
thanks!