Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Factory MR gauges, Boost gauge accuracy, and other...?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory MR gauges, Boost gauge accuracy, and other...?

1) I've heard that the Factory boost gauge on the IX MR is not too accurate, meaning even less accurate than cheap aftermarket boost gauges... how true is that? Please no guessing or random personal opinions, only if you know for a fact...

2) Also, my car runs a bit more boost than stock. Obviously the stock gauge only goes to 1.5bar, so at WOT, the needle goes beyond the 1.5bar mark, and hits some point in the blank space. NOW, the Q is, how wise/practical would it be to draw more spacers/dividers on the face of the gauge, and extend the measurements to 1.6, 1.7 bar ?
of course i would use a ruler to draw accurate lines, perfectly corresponding and proper distance to the factory lines...

thanks

oh and here is a little visual aide -

FROM THIS -

TO THIS -
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my factory gauge seems to be pretty accurate since I'm comparing readings to my aem truboost gauge. My suggestion is just get a bigger boost gauge. I'm getting rid of my stupid factory gauges. They are ugly and too small to read for me.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

well at least the Oem blend in with the rest of the console, and any after-market gauges, esp 60mm, are gonna standout like a cold-sore on puffy lips... oh and of course the Oem gauges are already there, hence, FREE (rather than hundreds and hundreds for aftermarket)!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Do you know where to find replacement bulbs for these gauges?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

no, and thanks for the ON-TOPIC comments. common bro, u betta than dis! J/K
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S6devil
well at least the Oem blend in with the rest of the console, and any after-market gauges, esp 60mm, are gonna standout like a cold-sore on puffy lips... oh and of course the Oem gauges are already there, hence, FREE (rather than hundreds and hundreds for aftermarket)!
yeah i agree they do blend in. Look at 52mm gauges. I was looking for 60mm gauges also because I thought the stock gauges were 52mm. But yeah the factory ones are lik 45 or something like that. The 52mm gauges (aem truboost/aem uego) are perfect for me. Look good and perfect size.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:07 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1) I've heard that the Factory boost gauge on the IX MR is not too accurate, meaning even less accurate than cheap aftermarket boost gauges... how true is that? Please no guessing or random personal opinions, only if you know for a fact...
Compared to a logged JDM MAP sensor, the factory gauge isn't off by much, and I know this for a fact. IOW, it's quite good.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry did not mean to hyjack your thread...just have been looking everywhere for these bulbs and posted and no one responds
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Compared to a logged JDM MAP sensor, the factory gauge isn't off by much, and I know this for a fact. IOW, it's quite good.
Thanks!!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO 4G63
Sorry did not mean to hyjack your thread...just have been looking everywhere for these bulbs and posted and no one responds
did u try mitsu?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
. The 52mm gauges (aem truboost/aem uego) are perfect for me. Look good and perfect size.
can you show me a pic of how it looks in your car (i already know how it looks on Lancershop.com, but that doesnt help much)??
oh and is it by any chance a direct replacement for the stock gauges ? or will I need different wiring, sensors, brackets, and a control unit or something like that ???
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

i really don know. as of now i have 3 different boost gauges in my car. stock mr gauges. defi and a hks evc. i normally just randomly pick one to look at cause i have so many. but when i ran 30psi, the stock mr gauge almost circled the whole gauge. lol
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

can you show me a pic of how it looks in your car (i already know how it looks on Lancershop.com, but that doesnt help much)??
oh and is it by any chance a direct replacement for the stock gauges ? or will I need different wiring, sensors, brackets, and a control unit or something like that ???
yeah ill try and take a pic tonight for ya. I dont know what you mean by direct replacement but when you buy the AEM gauges, they come with all the wiring you need. I'll eventually sell the factory crap and put a headunit in. Right now its sitting on the top. I switched them with the stock radio location to make them at least sort of useful. having the gauges all the way down there is kind of umm I don't know how the hell they expect you to watch the gauge while driving Pillar pod ftw
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Here mine looks just lik this guys except i have the black bezel.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...1&postcount=91
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
stewart warner 52mm gauges...they have a vdo line that looks just like the stock gauges

Quick Reply: Factory MR gauges, Boost gauge accuracy, and other...?