Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cleaning your evo in the cold

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
How do you get under your car with the high powered gun?? That's a tip i would like to learn.
Step 1 Crouch position ( like a catcher in Baseball )

Step 2 stick the gun under the car

Step 3 move the gun around

Rocket science !
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wear rubber dishwashing gloves, a rain jacket, and wear rubber / waterproof boots.

In the summer getting wet while washing the car is OK, but when it's cold, wet hands and clothing gets really uncomfortable.

Use a leaf blower to dry your car instead of a chamois or towel.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just go through the touchless car wash and if its really dirty, ill go into the self serve stalls and powerwash the car 1st. I also think most touchless car washes also wash underneath if you go with a certain wash. I know the touchless I go to, the 2 most expensive washes also wash underneath.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:20 PM

wait till it rains, then wipe the car down with water blade. not the best, but its a quick solution.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/rodi/waterblade1.gif
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

There are a lot of touchless car washes here that do REALLY good jobs, all at varying prices. Then there are a decent number of detail shops who will do even better jobs (hand washes) for even more varying prices. That's the joy of living in a state that gets crazy super salty winters.

There's a nice new self-service drive up like 10 min from my house, really high quality, like 9 bucks for the wash. Usually does a pretty decent job, but the fan dry and "spotless" wash aren't always perfect.

Then there's a drive up one (where the car goes through the tunnel on the moving chain thing) that's usually around 16, but the wash does a great job cleaning the car all over, and then it is hand dried by guys in the garage. Most of the time they do a job worth the extra money over the other shop. Again, it is fully touchless, they use microfiber to dry it, and as with the other place they use non-harmful chemicals (A lot of the cheap gas station places like to use harsh cheaper chemicals)

If I'm feeling really cheap/in a hurry then I'll stop at a power wash place, pay the dollar to turn it on just long enough to power wash the whole car and then drive off. At least then it isn't brown and gray along the bottoms from the salt and dirt and it gets a fresh coat of salt 2 seconds later.

Then there's a place that is about 30 for a hand wash, but it's about the quality that a 16 year old would do (spray, soap, spray, dry) nothin fancy.

And then there's full detail places all over that can do a full hiqh quality body wash for around 100-150 usually.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

On a Sunny Winter day
1. Go to a touchless car wash
2. Use a towel and quickly dry your whole car
3. Use quick detailer if you like

DONE
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

i wash my car in the winter with no problem.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

haha bringing my car to the manual car wash is hard because my car is lowered so it bottoms out where ever i go so i dont feel like ripping my LICP or downpipe off so i guess im going to try the warm bucket of water trick lol thanks for the replys, any one else that cleans there car in the brutal winter feel free to reply lol
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 19DB794
I just go through the touchless car wash and if its really dirty, ill go into the self serve stalls and powerwash the car 1st. I also think most touchless car washes also wash underneath if you go with a certain wash. I know the touchless I go to, the 2 most expensive washes also wash underneath.
the best way^^ 10$ here in MA. it has already being in the 20degrees.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I find myself having enough trouble washing it in the warm let alone the cold

I've washed my car four times in two years haha
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

i connect hose to hot water faucet in my basement. i wash quick outside while letting engine warm up then pull into garage to dry. warm engine in closed insulated garage is bearable. my car to low for car wash.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alloutDSM
they trow salt here in germany like theres no tomarrow...
they do that alot here too..
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hand car wash by a group of mexican
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:52 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

I reduce washes to once every two weeks in the winter. I go to a "hand wash" car wash. and sometimes If im brave enough, I will stop by the gas station where they have the power wash machines and get it done quickly with my sponge. (just don't use the brush on it)
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

i wear more layers of cloths lol well i atleast wait ill its above freezing so it dosent ice up and also i use a car was i take to long when i do it at my house