Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My gas gauge is acting up!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gas gauge is acting up!

my gas gauge has been acting up. what happened was about 3 weeks ago I ran out of gas while driving. It had never happened to me before in any car, so i didnt know that it was that when my acceleration pedal would go easy in the middle of gear with no response from the car. It did it twice before i decided to pull over and fill up. just a week before that I had installed the hks carbon ti cbe and a hallman boost controller and thats all i have on my car. Before and after the mods i would hit 240 miles on one tank before filling up.

this weeks ive only driven 149 miles since my last 12.1 gallon fill up and the light to fill up is on. something is definately wrong but idk what to do because i just hit 24k miles and didnt renew my warranty, and even if i had my warranty idk if the dealer would fix it cuz of my mbc, buscher filter, and cbe. I could goto my credit union and renew my warranty, but idk if it would be worth it because i dont plan on going back to stock anytime soon, but i gotta fix this problem and also lso another minor problem (my 3rd gear grinds when goin into it)...sry this was long but thanks for any help!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

Are you tuned for what you installed?

If you aren't that could be the reason why you're getting such crappy gas mileage.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

not tuned but all i have is the air filter, catback and my mbc is set to 17.5 like stock psi. and i dont see how not being tuned could screw me for 70 miles, if thats the reason, ill get tuned asap, but im sure if it was becuase im not tuned, my gas mileage would have acted like this as soon as i installed the parts but it took like 3 weeks
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem ,with it not reading correctly.I took it in and they replaced the sender unit.With your boost set so low,even with out a tune, there is a problem somewhere. After you figure out your issue,go get a tune.......it will help get some gas milage back.

And unless the dealership you go are a bunch of "MOD *****" they should repair your car no problem.normally a CBE and filter wont be a prolem,and most idiots at the dealership wont know what a MBC was if it jumped up in slapped the SH** out of them ..lol. I think your safe taking it in for warranty work. Sounds like the sender on the fuel .they just have to take out the bottom of your back seat.They shouldn't even have to open the hood.

Last edited by RAZOREXPRESS; Nov 28, 2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

how much do you think getting a new sender unit somewhere other than the dealer?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LakerRaider
how much do you think getting a new sender unit somewhere other than the dealer?
I belive it was around $100, but i was covered under warranty.At a auto prts store .....really dont know????
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

that isnt much, hopefully that estimate includes labor. i just dont know if i should even try to renew my warranty because of my light mods. we all know how shady dealers can get...
Old Nov 28, 2008, 02:04 AM
Evolving Member

that isnt much, hopefully that estimate includes labor. i just dont know if i should even try to renew my warranty because of my light mods. we all know how shady dealers can get...
Did you buy the car new?the wannaty is 3yr/36,000 on everything....and 7yr 100,000 on the powertrain.even if you bought it used the wannanty should still be good.If you have 24k on it then you should be straight.I got 22k on mine.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

i bought it used with 13k miles on it in february. when i bought it, they were saying that the warranty would expire in 24 months or 24k miles whichever came first. Coming close to the 24 month mark i was getting phone calls that i should renew my warrany but never did. i still can if i go through the credit union. I have about 25,500 miles now
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

ttt
Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

not tuned but all i have is the air filter, catback and my mbc is set to 17.5 like stock psi. and i dont see how not being tuned could screw me for 70 miles, if thats the reason, ill get tuned asap, but im sure if it was becuase im not tuned, my gas mileage would have acted like this as soon as i installed the parts but it took like 3 weeks
actually w/out a tune your stock ecu is going to try to over compensate for the new found airflow so its gonna spit more gas in to make sure its running correctly. same thing happend to my friends then we stopped by dyno comp and richard tuned real quick and no prolems. better gas mileage with a tune
Old Nov 30, 2008, 02:31 AM

I'd say its the fuel pump