Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DynoJet or Dyno Dynamics

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
lol! great another dyno comparo to spark up a debate that 99% of the peole who comment, have no idea of what they are talking about.
No worries...I'm simply putting out the facts so those who are uninformed, can be informed. At the very least, they have been told. Still can't make the horse drink.

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
I prefer mustang or dyno dynamics..The dynojet 4wd dows not have a mechanical link between the front and rear rollers and it's eddy current system has not been known to work nearly as well as mustang or DD for a constant load and is not nearly as proven. The dynojet is the cheaper of the three so that may be a plus certainly. The number that the dyno spits out is up to the calibration unless you fiddle with corrections ect to work for or against you..I live the software for dyno dynamics and display the best though but I mainly use mustang..
This information is also dated. Dynojet debuted the LINX system at SEMA this year, which is a mechanical coupling between front/rear drums in an AWD dyno.

There is NO calibration to be done to a Dynojet dyno that will let you "fiddle with corrections etc". It is all internally read.

Attached Thumbnails DynoJet or Dyno Dynamics-linx-pic.jpg  

Last edited by DJ_Keith; Dec 2, 2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old Dec 2, 2008, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The arguments you are using are severly dated. They were true back in the late 90's and up until around 2002 - but load added Dynojet dynos have been available for the last 5+ years.
You're still selling units without load control: everything I said pertains to them, and is still true. If it weren't true, you guys wouldn't have bothered building a unit that has LC capability.

In fact, in California (of all places) out of the 101 dyno centers on DynoJet's web site, only 16 of them are listed as having load controlling dynos. So my arguments only apply to the other 85 DynoJets around me?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by alex4nder
You're still selling units without load control: everything I said pertains to them, and is still true. If it weren't true, you guys wouldn't have bothered building a unit that has LC capability.

In fact, in California (of all places) out of the 101 dyno centers on DynoJet's web site, only 16 of them are listed as having load controlling dynos. So my arguments only apply to the other 85 DynoJets around me?
Sure, non-load control is available. Financially, it's a less expensive option for the customer that doesn't need to have that capability. Unlike most other dynos, the Dynojet can be run in inertia only mode, which means a smaller initial investment for a shop that wants to just test performance. A tuner shop would want the load control. I would imagine that most shops that choose NOT to do it, are basing that strictly on financial limitations. The load cell can be added to any current model 224x at any time in the future if those requirements arise.

I would also question how many of the "other 85 Dynojets" around you are the larger, higher inertia, non-eddy current capable 248 model. Dynojet pioneered the affordable chassis dyno back in the mid 90's. Those dynos are not upgradeable to load control.

I would also venture to say that with 101 Dynojet dynos LISTED in California, no other dyno company can boast that kind of product saturation. There is a reason that more shops own Dynojet dynos. Your argument is only an argument because you choose to try to apply it to a piece of equipment that is not optioned as required, to do the job YOU are specifing. The equipment is available, but not every shop is going to buy the more expensive items.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Keith
Financially, it's a less expensive option for the customer that doesn't need to have that capability. Unlike most other dynos, the Dynojet can be run in inertia only mode, which means a smaller initial investment for a shop that wants to just test performance. A tuner shop would want the load control. I would imagine that most shops that choose NOT to do it, are basing that strictly on financial limitations.
I completely agree.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your argument is only an argument because you choose to try to apply it to a piece of equipment that is not optioned as required, to do the job YOU are specifing. The equipment is available, but not every shop is going to buy the more expensive items.
i bet most people never thought of it like this...
i will admit i never thought about it this way. you cant bash a company because the people they sell to doesnt purchase the same options as other dyno companies...

Old Dec 2, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Dyno Dynamics i think its the best investment with close second the Mustangs...

DDs have become the standard in Australia (well DD are made there!).... However as i said they are an investment as i think they are the most expensive ones... Also if you want to take "Shootout" mode accredation you need to pay an extra fee and you have to try and prove yourself in order to keep it...
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by kouzman

DDs have become the standard in Australia (well DD are made there!).... However as i said they are an investment as i think they are the most expensive ones... Also if you want to take "Shootout" mode accredation you need to pay an extra fee and you have to try and prove yourself in order to keep it...
What is it you believe the DD will do that a Dynojet won't? What does that DD cost optioned as you would need it? I assume this would be how the one at your shop is optioned?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by kouzman
Are you going to the PRI show in Orlando this week? If so, come find me at the booth, or in the parking lot running the dyno.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

^ i think what bother people the most about Dynojets is that they put out slightly exaggerated #'s; people go out to the track or drag-strip, or even on the street or at a thursday night meet in the Dunken Donuts parking lot, thinking they are making 10% more power than they really are. its all #'s and bragging rights... "my car makes 420awhp, and yours makes 405,so im faster and cooler", then the response is "you made 420 on a dynojet, hence u r a loser", or something stupid like that.
its all 'bout the raw #'s, its the way most car-magazines teach us to be
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by S6devil
^ i think what bother people the most about Dynojets is that they put out slightly exaggerated #'s; people go out to the track or drag-strip, or even on the street or at a thursday night meet in the Dunken Donuts parking lot, thinking they are making 10% more power than they really are. its all #'s and bragging rights... "my car makes 420awhp, and yours makes 405,so im faster and cooler", then the response is "you made 420 on a dynojet, hence u r a loser", or something stupid like that.
its all 'bout the raw #'s, its the way most car-magazines teach us to be
The Dynojet dynos are known to be the most consistent and repeatable across the board of any of the dynos on the market. That being said, if one car makes 420awhp on a Dynojet and another makes 410awhp on a Dynojet, the 420hp car (all things being equal, ie, driver, traction, gear ratios, etc) will be faster/quicker. As long as you are using the same "measuring stick" for both cars, the results are comparative.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:59 PM
Account Disabled

I am a Dyno Dynamics owner and user and we've had a really good experience with it thusfar. Zero breakdowns or interruptions in service.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

The Dynojet dynos are known to be the most consistent and repeatable across the board of any of the dynos on the market. That being said, if one car makes 420awhp on a Dynojet and another makes 410awhp on a Dynojet, the 420hp car (all things being equal, ie, driver, traction, gear ratios, etc) will be faster/quicker. As long as you are using the same "measuring stick" for both cars, the results are comparative.
yes they are very consistent... when compared to itself. but the results vary by as much as 12% as compared with a DD or Mustang, or when compared to a result u would get on the street, if u strap in a VBOX to the car for example, and get a power reading while accelerating
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by S6devil
yes they are very consistent... when compared to itself. but the results vary by as much as 12% as compared with a DD or Mustang, or when compared to a result u would get on the street, if u strap in a VBOX to the car for example, and get a power reading while accelerating
Isn't that the point? To have a consistent measuring stick? Dynojet dynos are very consistent, day to day and unit to unit.

When you say "the results vary", I believe you mean the final HP/TQ number, is that correct? If so, you do realize that a Dynojet dyno measures horsepower and calculates torque based on an RPM reading, where the others measure applied torque and calculate horsepower, right? This is why they rely on user/operator input gear ratios (which can be manipulated).

For instance, on a Mustang, the software asks you to hold the vehicle in the gear to be tested, at 2000rpm so it can calculate a gear ratio. This is the same as the rpm/mph gear ratio that a Dynojet samples directly from the car at all times during the dyno run. If you fudge the cars' rpm at the time of this sample, the readings come out different. You can't fudge that on a Dynojet dyno, because it is sampled real time.

I believe you would also have to look at what kind of consistency something like a Vbox can offer. With differences in suspensions, tires, road incline/decline, vehicle weight, etc, those numbers can be far off as well.

That peak HP number you are talking about is bragging rights I suppose; but for a tuner or someone looking to make and validate changes, you want the consistency and repeatability of a dyno that doesn't change with operator inputs from the keyboard.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Dyno Dynamics reads the lowest, but is generally the best for tuning.
true, dyno jet if you want consistant numbers but you usually have to do a bit of street tuning, DD if you want the tune to stay consistant from the dyno to the road and dont care about numbers..but the best way to judge is go to the track and see what mph the car puts up
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Isn't that the point? To have a consistent measuring stick? Dynojet dynos are very consistent, day to day and unit to unit.

When you say "the results vary", I believe you mean the final HP/TQ number, is that correct? If so, you do realize that a Dynojet dyno measures horsepower and calculates torque based on an RPM reading, where the others measure applied torque and calculate horsepower, right? This is why they rely on user/operator input gear ratios (which can be manipulated).

For instance, on a Mustang, the software asks you to hold the vehicle in the gear to be tested, at 2000rpm so it can calculate a gear ratio. This is the same as the rpm/mph gear ratio that a Dynojet samples directly from the car at all times during the dyno run. If you fudge the cars' rpm at the time of this sample, the readings come out different. You can't fudge that on a Dynojet dyno, because it is sampled real time.

I believe you would also have to look at what kind of consistency something like a Vbox can offer. With differences in suspensions, tires, road incline/decline, vehicle weight, etc, those numbers can be far off as well.

That peak HP number you are talking about is bragging rights I suppose; but for a tuner or someone looking to make and validate changes, you want the consistency and repeatability of a dyno that doesn't change with operator inputs from the keyboard.

well, from personal experience, i ran my car on a Dynojet and got 340awhp. i then tested by just strapping on a portable Vbox at the track.... showed 301hp. which suggest that the Vbox results are very similar to a Mustang Dyno results, and are about 12% off of the DynoJet results (which sounds just right since a Mustang is ~12% less than a Dynojet).

P.S. yes, its all about bragging rights, and '***** contests'... so a typical guy would rather go to a DynoJet, and later brag about hittin 350awhp, than going to a mustang dyno and walking away with a printout which showed his car pulled a 'mere' 315awhp.... and its all the same car. obviously the power didnt change, just the readout changes from dyno to dyno. its all how u present it. just like recently the manufacturers started using certified power quotes. so the HP quotes on window stickers and in owners manuals went down by like 5-8hp

Quick Reply: DynoJet or Dyno Dynamics