Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DynoJet or Dyno Dynamics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DynoJet or Dyno Dynamics

Hi, anyone here can to share which dyno machine is value for money and reliable for all vehicle. Please give some comment on these 2 dyno in term of $$, accuracy, maintenance, durability and etc. Your comment/advice is much appreciated. Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would contact some of the larger tuning shops and find out why they bought the ones they did. Seems to me that the Mustang Dyno's are sorta becoming the standard.

Josh
Old Dec 1, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Mustangs and Dynamics are much more accurate than Dynojoet, provided the person running knows how.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dyno jets read higher and have less load on the car. whcich isnt good for tuning. you want to tune the car under the same load the car sees on the road.

mustangs are probably the best to get tuned on, just dont expect high numbers
Old Dec 1, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Dyno Dynamics reads the lowest, but is generally the best for tuning.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

anyone here own one? I don't but would like to hear the opinion of a few owners.

S2kracka doesn't your buddy run a shop with a dyno? what kind? maybe he could chime in?

Josh
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:49 AM

yeah i would like to hear more opinion too. My fren workshop is installing one soon. I just want to help him to find out more.. thanks
Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Dyno Dynamics reads the lowest, but is generally the best for tuning.
so low, they are known as "heartbreakers"
Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Mustangs and Dynamics are much more accurate than Dynojoet, provided the person running knows how.
I think you might have that backwards - I don't think any dyno company out there would argue that their units are more repeatable and consistent, from run to run or dyno to dyno, than a Dynojet. Check out page 2 of the PDF I attached for a more indepth explanation.

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
dyno jets read higher and have less load on the car. whcich isnt good for tuning. you want to tune the car under the same load the car sees on the road.
Hey Joe, the current model Dynojet 224xLC (2WD) /424xLC (AWD) dynos use a combination of inertia and eddy current load to be able to do whatever the operator chooses. You can do:
  • inertia only runs (load of the weight of the drum(s) only),
  • steady state loaded testing (apply load with the eddy current absorbers to hold the vehicle at a given spot - either RPM or speed closed loop),
  • step loaded test (set to hold the vehicle at each of multiple RPM or speed steps for a certain amount of time) or
  • sweep loaded test (add a % of load over the entire run).

Here's a good read if you have a few minutes, regarding dynos and testing in general.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Truth_Lies_Dyno Runs_Final.pdf (46.9 KB, 18 views)
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Keith
Here's a good read if you have a few minutes, regarding dynos and testing in general.
I actually thought it was a poorly written paper, with a bunch of attempts to induce fear thrown in.

For me a dyno needs to provide two things: a means to get the engine in every load/RPM cell, and a means to measure torque or power precisely so I can determine if changes I'm making are having an improvement to the calibration of the ECU.

I haven't used a DynoJet with load control, but the inertia-only models suck at getting the engine where it needs to be to properly tune. I don't really care if the numbers out of them are consistent from dyno to dyno, when I can't properly tune an engine with one. Invariably when using a DynoJet, you'll get the WoT parts of the tune mapped, and then spend forever street tuning the rest of it. Even the die hard domestic guys are starting to get this.

If all you need is to give your customers high HP numbers, than the DynoJet units are a great, cheap way of doing that. If you actually need to tune the cars, then there are much better (and unfortunately more expensive) options out there (e.g. Mustang, Dyno Dynamics, Mainline, DynaPack).
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:11 PM

^^Well put.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
okay maybe im not 100% about the dyno jet thing. maybe im thinking of a different model of something

that pdf attached is written from dynojet. like i said i dont know everything about dyno's but to me seems like it could be a little biased....
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

lol! great another dyno comparo to spark up a debate that 99% of the peole who comment, have no idea of what they are talking about. i would say do some research and buy the one that fits YOUR needs. simple.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer mustang or dyno dynamics..The dynojet 4wd dows not have a mechanical link between the front and rear rollers and it's eddy current system has not been known to work nearly as well as mustang or DD for a constant load and is not nearly as proven. The dynojet is the cheaper of the three so that may be a plus certainly. The number that the dyno spits out is up to the calibration unless you fiddle with corrections ect to work for or against you..I live the software for dyno dynamics and display the best though but I mainly use mustang..
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by alex4nder
I haven't used a DynoJet with load control, but the inertia-only models suck at getting the engine where it needs to be to properly tune. I don't really care if the numbers out of them are consistent from dyno to dyno, when I can't properly tune an engine with one. Invariably when using a DynoJet, you'll get the WoT parts of the tune mapped, and then spend forever street tuning the rest of it. Even the die hard domestic guys are starting to get this.
So basically, you haven't even seen or used an inertia + load Dynojet dyno? There are quite a few out there, both in the states and abroad. As I said above, you can closed loop load the car at any speed or RPM point.

Normally, we would set an RPM hold point at 3000rpm for instance, then change TP% to achieve the target cell, adjust, then move on. If you want to adjust timing, you can look at the instantenous torque reading and make changes to timing as well.

The arguments you are using are severly dated. They were true back in the late 90's and up until around 2002 - but load added Dynojet dynos have been available for the last 5+ years. Many shops have and use them. Shops like AMS Performance, SouthSide Performance, Underground Racing, etc, etc. You should go check them out. They are quite a bit less expensive, and give all the tuning capability most are seeking.

Quick Reply: DynoJet or Dyno Dynamics