Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

lightweight evo rumors?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JRock
So utterly pointless and market-less. Would rather see the current even more appropriately priced for the quality it bears at around $26k, and a $32k Evo brought out with higher-quality interior and components.
I think a 26K price point for the current evo would be a miracle. It's not luxurious by any means but then again it is unique enough from the base lancer that the cost of things like the enhanced bodyshell are not amortized by the normal version. Get the Evo up on a lift and compare it to anything else at the same price and I think you'll be pretty impressed by the quality of the underpinnings. And in terms of quality I'm just about at 10K miles without a single problem whatsoever (except with cops of course). I think if they do it, it would make the most sense to lower the power a bit (so as not to rob sales of the standard model) and remove costly items like the Brembos and Recaros. Then you'd have a credible competitor to the WRX.

Keep in mind also that the home market RS doesn't have brembos or recaros, and has 15" steel wheels because it's expected that the new owner will prepare it for competition and replace those items anyway. It's not meant to be an inexpensive entry-level performance car, so I'm curious as to what they could do to keep costs down and still have it be appealing to an american customer who has certain expectations for content. An RS as delivered from Asia, with stock lancer seats, tiny brakes, and 15" steel wheels would be a hard sale here. I think the Evo GTA (auto) would be better for the stick-impaired american market. That car has leather and many of the goodies that the bmw and audi set are looking for.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

If they would come out with the Evo RS, that would be great. Here is what I would like to see:

Evo RS

No A/C
No ABS
No AYC
No Power Wondows
No Power Door Locks
No Sunroof
No Carpet

I would also like to see them come with a 6 speed dog box. That would be awesome. Why would you complain at all if the RS came to the US? Do you think that if the RS comes over that they will stop selling an Evo with ABS, A/C, power accessories? This is just another option that will make the Evo part support even stronger in the US.

Rumors are just that...Rumors. I would hope that the cars would come over, even in limited quantities, so that all the SCCA guys could get them instead of taking a loaded Evo and then stripping it down.

All we can do is cross our fingers...and maybe make a few phone calls and sign a few petitions.

Josh
Old Sep 16, 2003, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

That picture is of the 2004 Lancer Ralliart.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by the evo wins

cedia?
could be
Old Sep 16, 2003, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking will up the ante with the EVO
Maybe not all these features but little by little?? like more power, acd/ayc, 6 speed

Even though the EVO competes very well against the US STi if those features were added I'm betting at least 50% of potential STi buyers would jump ship

needs to get those STi buyers to the darkside

Well that's just MHO