Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

storage question...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
storage question...

I'm leaving for Iraq next month and I'll be gone for at least 7 months. What should I do to prepare my for for storage? I'm going to try keeping it in a garage and my friend is going to be starting it up every so often. Is there anything else that I should do? It's only going be for about 7 months so I don't need to go all out like draining the gas tank do I?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

if u drain the gas tank car wont start. I did an oil change and put mine away and started it 2x a week. I drove it around a little to keep it running.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in Iraq right now my Evo will be in storage 11 months when I get back. All I did is fluid changes, low fuel (gas light on) put some fuel stablizer in it, and got a car cover from the dealer. Also gave it a really detailed wash and a nice wax before I covered it up, disconnected the battery and all should be good.

I was going to put it on jack stands but found out that its bad for the suspension to do so, don't really care about the tires anyway its getting new wheels and tires when I get back, However they should be fine.

I don't have anyone starting it for me because I don't trust anyone with my car so you should be in better shape when you get back.

Good luck with your deployment stay safe.
Where are you going in Iraq? I do convoys so I've been to almost every base here.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

gas tank completely full and overinflate your tires so they dont flat spot
Old Dec 6, 2008, 07:50 PM

ya i would prob put a fuel stabilizer in and i also heard filling your tires up with more then the average tire pressure helps prevent flat spots... I heard that when new cars are shipped they over inflate the tires to prevent flat spots....
Old Dec 6, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

As previously suggested, Fill the gas tank and put extra air in your tires. Also, see if your friend would be kind enough to drive it a few miles every so often just to get the engine up to temperature, this will keep everything in good working order and lubricated. If you have Air Con that should also be run for about 5-10 minutes every so often.

Stay safe in Iraq.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

As a fellow Soldier who has been deployed to Iraq my wife watched over my car while I was gone. As fryedchikin suggested see if your friend can drive it around for a few miles about every two weeks. Just starting it up and letting it run won't keep your battery charged up. My wife would do this at first and she would have to jump start it. Once she started driving it around it would keep the charge.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by W_evo8
I'm in Iraq right now my Evo will be in storage 11 months when I get back. All I did is fluid changes, low fuel (gas light on) put some fuel stablizer in it, and got a car cover from the dealer. Also gave it a really detailed wash and a nice wax before I covered it up, disconnected the battery and all should be good.

I was going to put it on jack stands but found out that its bad for the suspension to do so, don't really care about the tires anyway its getting new wheels and tires when I get back, However they should be fine.

I don't have anyone starting it for me because I don't trust anyone with my car so you should be in better shape when you get back.

Good luck with your deployment stay safe.
Where are you going in Iraq? I do convoys so I've been to almost every base here.
I'll be all over al Anbar. I'm on a PiTT team, I'll be training Iraqi police.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

well if your leaving your friend the key to your evo you probable dont have to prepare it for storage, as he will be driving it lol
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Stay safe in Iraq. Change fluids when you get back.