Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Newb question: I have Injen Intake, does this mean I don't need UICP?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb question: I have Injen Intake, does this mean I don't need UICP?

I am in the process of purchasing bolt-on's for my newly aquired Evo8,

So far I bought a Greddy Exhaust and Injen intake, does the intake elimante the need for buying a seperate UICP? my next mods planned to buy are:

Downpipe, Testpipe, O2 Housing, ECUFlash (probably mellon tune)

any ideas of rough estimate HP/TQ? I know every car is different
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

i have an AEM intake with the stock upic but i'll be upgrading the the ETS stock battery upic....the stock couplers expand under boost so thats no good....i went with an ebay down pipe and test pipe with a qtp electric cut out welded into the test pipe sounds amazing! and sounds completly stock when its close due to the stock catback is still on...when i was tuned on ecu flash with only the AEM intake and boost set to 22 psi est around 260whp still need retuned for my exhaust tho
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:53 PM

Hey H8myEvo8,
the UICP is different than the injen intake. The UICP goes from the front mount inter cooler to the engine. The intake connects to the turbo. These are two different things.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

the uicp and the licp both suck stock...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:48 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aka03
the uicp and the licp both suck stock...
I've yet to see a dynograph that shows significant gains from the replacement of either. Given your comment, perhaps you could post one that does.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read many posts and gotten many opinions about the UICP and LICP. I heard that replacing the UICP doesn't do much, other than maybe looks nicer. The stock one performs fine. But the LICP actually does quicken the spool and provide a bit more HP. Usually the aftermarket ones eliminate some bends in the LICP and also the stock one tapers to a smaller diameter sooner than the aftermarket ones. I just recently installed a Nissei LICP and getting a tune today, I'll post dynos later if I have time.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

an intake has nothing to do with the UICP unless for the recirculating tube. intake goes from the inlet on the turbo to a filter. UICP goes from intercooler to throttle body.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Eric is correct from the standpoint of the UICP being more cosmetic. I have witnessed stock UICPs on Evos with well over 400awhp, with owners having no complaint. But a lot of owners swap out for the sake of the new UICP being a "hardpipe". I bought the entire Injen set-up and must agree that it looks sweet underhood, but the real gains come from the LICP (and tune obviously).
Old Dec 8, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

The problem with the stock uicp is that it expands to a great amount under boost. The stock couplers are bound to leak air when they expand that much. That is why most people, including myself, buy an aftermarket uicp. It is not for the performance increase, it is to prevent boost leaks. Yeah sure, they also look nice too.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok i dont know why nobody has said it yet. IF you use the injen intake the factory upper ic will not FIT PERIOD. unless you do some major Modding. Waste of money. the injen system moves the bov/diverter. so unless you gonna make a custom vaccum hose you have to change the upper ic anyways to reflect the new position of the bov/diverter. I install my injen system and mish radaitor like 2 weeks ago. easier just to show you

Now look at this picture and tell me how your factory upper ic is gonna fit. ITs not unless you plan on wasting money if your gonna do it change it all out. do it right sick of seeing incomplete cars

Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't the Injen kit come with the UICP? Or is the the LICP it comes with?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

The BPV return on the Injen Intake pipe interferes with the factory UIPC as stated above. I had to build my own short route UICP and configure it to work with the Injen intake pipe.

There may be some way to get it to work but it will involve cutting the factory UICP no doubt.

/brox
Old Dec 8, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI the Injen intake screws with your maf readings pretty good. I have the full Injen set and ended up swapping my stock intake back on and gained power back. Honestly, I'm really not too thrilled about the Injen set and I should've bought a better fitting set.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dont know about it screw with maf settings it could cause you to drop idle randomly but nothing major but of course its different on all cars. and NO the injen is either the pipe kit upper/lower pipping then intake separte or some people sell them all together

link to complete kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...Q5fAccessories

just pipe kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Injen...Q5fAccessories

Now there are some people selling there kits in the for sale section for various prices i got mine for a good deal 110 for intake and 150 for pipes separte. good luck any questions just keep asking
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:57 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
The problem with the stock uicp is that it expands to a great amount under boost. The stock couplers are bound to leak air when they expand that much. That is why most people, including myself, buy an aftermarket uicp. It is not for the performance increase, it is to prevent boost leaks. Yeah sure, they also look nice too.
the uicp doesn't expand...the couplers do

Quick Reply: Newb question: I have Injen Intake, does this mean I don't need UICP?