Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question about test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about test pipe

I am thinking about going with a TBE with a test pipe, my only question is that if the car is not tuned will it blow a ton of smoke? Will it stink up the car while at stops?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

i have a helix test pipe my car does not stink up while stopped.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

If the vent is open you'll smell things when sitting idle for awhile. But realistically the only time you smell it is if you're standing behind the car, not in it.

And you won't be blowing smoke.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

If your car has never been tuned (ie factory tuned), then it is running reasonably rich. The richer your car is, the more smoke, smog, and crap you will have coming through your pipe. However, even when properly tuned, there is still going to be an appreciable quantity of crap. While driving around normally YOU will not notice the smell or smoke, however, those outside you will. Only on startup and WOT will you really notice anything different from a catted pipe.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Protostar1
If your car has never been tuned (ie factory tuned), then it is running reasonably rich. The richer your car is, the more smoke, smog, and crap you will have coming through your pipe. However, even when properly tuned, there is still going to be an appreciable quantity of crap. While driving around normally YOU will not notice the smell or smoke, however, those outside you will. Only on startup and WOT will you really notice anything different from a catted pipe.
Look no further than this post. The thing that I would add is that your car will always emit noxious odors (be smelly) with a test pipe, and can easily be detected by anybody driving behind you. This includes the police.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Remember...the fines for getting caught not running a cat can be huge. IMO its not worth the risk on a street car.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:19 PM

hmmm... I know there are a million threads on this I am starting to wonder which way to go, is it illegal to run a HFC?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dorian7
hmmm... I know there are a million threads on this I am starting to wonder which way to go, is it illegal to run a HFC?
yes, it is illegal

altering your factory cat or removing = illegal

it's that simple
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:57 PM

well if they are both illegal why wouldn't you run a test pipe?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
with a hfc, if a cop decides to look underneath at least it will pass a visual test. Also, from outside it doesn't smell nowhere near as bad as a test pipe does.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
for this fact I run a test pipe
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you guys make it sound like its completely smells horrible and its instantly hitting you and the ordor is strong. I have run a test pipe ever since i bought my car. The only time i smelled exhaust in the car was when i had the exhaust leak due to my cat not even bolted on one side and basically bent in half. I had to change out the exhaust system. after that i smell nothing. you have to actually be standing like right behind the car to even smell the gases. now yes you will fail a visual test lol and smell test if the Cop is looking for that. I have gotten two tickets since i got the Evo dont want anymore period. the cops here in LA could care less about no cat he was more intrested in giving me the speeding ticket and thats while the car stayed on running and he wrote it out behind the car. of course this all depends on location and the Cop and how pissed off he is. if you think about it they can write you a ticket for anything. you could be running a Cat and still get tons of tickets just for having mods on your car. Technically the way i understood the laws down here is if it did not come from the factory as a option then its a illegal part. Hence ticket time. but nevermind that I say run a test pipe if you dont like the smell then put the cat back on not like its hard to change the exhaust system
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:51 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some folks, myself included, feel a sense of social responsibility and prefer not to expose the rest of the population to the noxious gasses.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
you guys make it sound like its completely smells horrible and its instantly hitting you and the ordor is strong. I have run a test pipe ever since i bought my car. The only time i smelled exhaust in the car was when i had the exhaust leak due to my cat not even bolted on one side and basically bent in half. I had to change out the exhaust system. after that i smell nothing. you have to actually be standing like right behind the car to even smell the gases. now yes you will fail a visual test lol and smell test if the Cop is looking for that. I have gotten two tickets since i got the Evo dont want anymore period. the cops here in LA could care less about no cat he was more intrested in giving me the speeding ticket and thats while the car stayed on running and he wrote it out behind the car. of course this all depends on location and the Cop and how pissed off he is. if you think about it they can write you a ticket for anything. you could be running a Cat and still get tons of tickets just for having mods on your car. Technically the way i understood the laws down here is if it did not come from the factory as a option then its a illegal part. Hence ticket time. but nevermind that I say run a test pipe if you dont like the smell then put the cat back on not like its hard to change the exhaust system
The odor is sickening if you ever follow a car who is running test pipe. The smell just takes over the cabin. And I'm not talking about when they go WOT, this is just cruising. When they go WOT, its about 10x worse, just hold your breath when that happens.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

^ its true. my passengers always complains my car smells so bad, especially when the car comes to a stop. i usually leave the fan to circulate inside air and leave my windows up. but in the summer, with windows open its pretty bad.

Quick Reply: Question about test pipe