Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Received a Citation this Morning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received a Citation this Morning

All,
I was pulled over by the police this morning because a complaint was filed against my vehicle for exhaust noise being to loud. The officer was courtesy even thought it was 4:45 AM in the morning. He explained that he was parked a block over and was waiting for me to start my vehicle, listen to exhaust noise, and pull me over to give me a citation. This citation was only a warning. From the officer's observation he did not agreed with the individual who made the complaint of my vehicle being loud. I said to the officer that it's 4:45 AM in the morning and I am probably the only one in the neighborhood who works early in the morning and of course my vehicle would sound loud since the neighborhood is quiet. I don't even get a chance to warm the Evo up. I just start it up and shift from 1st to 2nd and keep the RPMs low and not to disrespect the neighbors. I did get a note put on my vehicle telling me to quiet it down when driving around the neighborhood. In addition I moved from California to Texas in which California hads stricter emissions and noice level tolorences. I have kept the same setup my vehicle since I moved here. All the officer said for me to do is to take it up with the court if I continue to receive citations to resolve the complaint.

Any advice?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
YEA put a Silencer on it lol or Really consider changing out your exhaust. You dont want to play with getting tickets because you want to stand on princple. another 500 or so and you can have a different exhaust setup sell the one you got to recover some money. I got a ticket because people were driving though a neighborhood to fast. its a good shortcut to get to the main road. I take it to get to work on time and faster route. the speed limit is 30mph. Cop pulled me over for going 44. said they got to many complaints of folks just ripping and roaring. Now he also said your car looks fast and i know you were not speeding like the others but i have to give you a ticket. i was like wtf but ok. i just paided that ticket 14 miles over and cost me 288. thats over half for your exhaust system because its a high volume complaint area they said. now do you think i go faster then 35 now when i cut though there everday for work. NO SIR!!. Change your exhaust and save yourself alot of money.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:49 AM

My current exhaust setup:
WORKS Ceramic Coated Downpipe - High Flow Cat (HFC) - JIC Full Titanum Exhaust.

I was going to put it back to stock and see if I get anymore complaints but I shouldn't have to since its been on the vehicle for 4 years and no complaints have been made until now.

If I remember right the exhaust did come with a silencer. I'll need to check.

What's a real kicker is that there are Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs with modified exhausts louder then mine around the neighborhood.

Its just because its early in the morning and most people are still sleeping.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Which exhaust is it and does that exhaust have a db rating? Anything else changed other than exhaust that may have changed the sound level (down pipe, test pipe, etc.). Could you simply go to an inspection place or use a sound lever meter to confirm you are in compliance. I would't see it as just standing on principle. What if you do change to a quieter exhaust even though your current exhaust is within the legal thresh hold and the person still complains because they expect zero noise. What are you going to do then? Trade the Evo in for Prius? I hear (no pun intended) those are almost dead silent. If you don't believe me, ask the next limping blind pedestrian you see.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:54 AM

The officer mention its because of how the city ordinance is written:

NUISANCE ORDINANCE
A public nuisance is defined in the City of Pflugerville’s Code of Ordinances as any act, thing, occupation, condition, or use of property that is of such a nature and continues long enough to:

a. Substantially annoy, injure or endanger the comfort, health, repose or safety of the public.

b. Greatly offend the public morals or decency; or

c. Unlawfully and substantially interfere with, obstruct, or tend to obstruct or render dangerous for
passage any street, alley, highway, navigable body of water or other public way.

There are laws and court rulings protecting all citizens’ right to privacy and often times the code officer’s actions may be limited. In witnessing a violation, court rulings require that the violation be in plain view of the officer. The officer is restricted to what can be seen from the street, alley or any place on the property that is open. If the violation is hidden from view, the officer must have the property owner or occupant’s permission, or must obtain a search warrant based on reasonable knowledge of the alleged violation.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

wow, the way that is written anything could be a nuisance; you could probably say your neighbor's lawn mover is annoying and have him cited.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People need to mind there own business, and not be so serious. Do you know who put the note on your car because thats the person who called the cops obviously. If you know and I were you I would def. have a conversation with the individual.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:12 AM

I do have an idea of who it is but I don't want to assume.
Ya'll are right about the noise ordinance and that its written to any annoyance could offend anyone at anytime.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evolution mr
. . . This citation was only a warning. From the officer's observation he did not agreed with the individual who made the complaint of my vehicle being loud. . .

What are you worried about? It's a warning. Welcome to Texas! Land of the good'ole' boy network. Cops love to pull you over for silly things just so they can snoop in your business. Unlike Cali, you will rarely get a ticket for something like a loud exhaust here. Austin hosts biker week every year; Now that's LOUD.

If it happens again, ask the cop who complained about your car. You may discover an ulterior motive. Also call the cops attention to the fact that your car is currently displaying a valid TX motor vehicle inspection sticker.

Even if you got a ticket, you have a good chance of getting it dismissed. That law is very vague and leaves far too much to the discretion of the police officer.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Where's that thread that was like 60 pages of this.

Guy got a letter from his neighbor and then all this other stuff insude and it was great and this guy on here ended up winning cause his car was at the legal limit for Decibls.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by LI Pinky
People need to mind there own business, and not be so serious. Do you know who put the note on your car because thats the person who called the cops obviously. If you know and I were you I would def. have a conversation with the individual.
I totally agree
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Two things rub me the wrong way:

1. At 4:45 AM, a cop parked and waited to listen to you start your car.

2. If the cop agreed that your car was not loud, then I wonder why he gave you a warning? That would concern me. Does the warning say that he agreed your car was not a nuisance? Because what he said, and what he did are two opposite things.

It sounds like a superior of his told him to stake you out. And he wrote the warning to appease his boss. That's BS. If a cop tells me he's on my side, he better put it in writing!

PS. PM me your neighborhood. I'd be happy to cruise by your neighbor between 2-4 AM just for kicks. I have been known to suffer from bouts of "Cool Hand Luke" syndrome.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joshs EVO
Where's that thread that was like 60 pages of this.

Guy got a letter from his neighbor and then all this other stuff insude and it was great and this guy on here ended up winning cause his car was at the legal limit for Decibls.
I believe that was California. This guy is in Texas. Which is what makes this VERY weird. We don't have a decibel requirement for cars (other than what DOT requires of the manufacturer) in Texas.

This guy was obviously singled out by a neighbor who has pull with the local PD.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol your funny L I Pinky. what is having a conversation going to do. its gonna solve nothing. Kind of obvious that this person is annoyed that at 4 in the morning they hear this loud rumbling sound and it disturbs there sleep. some people are light sleepers Well guess what they have rights too just like you. you can talk with them and all thats gonna do is start a fight of im trying to sleep talk so you can forget that ideal. they might take it as you being hostile. Besides you want to try and keep the peace as much as possible. Remember he has to live with these people everyday. Yes there is compromise they do have to understand you work early which is true we all work at differnt times BUT if enough people complain NOT JUST ONE PERSON NOW. the police will be out there. your acting like he is the only one. Now yes we dont know all the details he could be reving his engine or could be riding the gas. who knows point is if the cops are in your business you need to play it cool. Unless you want to again stand on princple and be all you can be. then be my guest but dont go posting threads of having to pay for this and that and evo impounded etc.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:44 AM

The officer said it verbally and did not put it on the citation. I can get a police report of the incident so that I have it for my records for any future issues.

Thanks binarysleep!