Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is there a secret? How to afford a big turbo kit? etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a secret? How to afford a big turbo kit? etc.

I'm just curious how you guys can afford the big turbo kits? Did you save up the money? How much a pay check did you save etc.? i just wanna know what i should do to save up for my big turbo kit....let me know big turbo kit owners!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Credit Card. LOL

I save from each paycheck and put it into a separate account. This year my parents are giving me cash for Christmas, and that will go towards it as well, then income tax returns are always a life saver as well. (I'm still in University, so my returns are much larger then if I wasn't)
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lot of guys just max out cards, default, then part out their ride. I have seen it time and time again. If you can't afford, don't buy. Get meth if you don't already.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Simple, make more money or be a dumbass and put it on a credit card
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

a credit card is a no go especially with the economy the way it is right now....i think i'll start a piggy bank for my "Big Turbo Kit".....and i dont know about meth...i live in good ol nebraska so theres quite a few E85 stations around i've been thinking about going to E85.....lets hear some more from the big turbo kit owners! how did you get that kit?!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

i've only used credit cards on cheaper parts, never a turbo kit. My car is paid off, so i just do a little financial planning over the winter, save some checks, then come feb or march, i pull the trigger. There is also the fact that i have my property taxes escrowed with my mortgage payment so i get a big check at the the end of Dec each year, final payment for taxes arent due till may 31 so its like a 0 interest loan
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Simple, make more money or be a dumbass and put it on a credit card
how much do you make a month? i make around 2200$ a month now but i'm just a intern and i still live at home with the rents but will be moving to Omaha, NE in a few months hopefully find a better paying job and get out on my own...i'm only 20....
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have E85 in your area you should get tuned for it. At least the upgrade in power will hold you over until the $$$ is saved for a turbo kit. Once you have the money shop around and find a deal. They are always out there you just need to find it. I bought my turbo kit from someone that posted in this very thread for a steal. Shop around and don't charge it unless the funds are there to pay the bill.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

CASH CASH CASH CASH!!!!! Don't use a credit card EVER unless you realllly reallly have to. I'm 22 and I have YET to touch a credit card haha. I have one... but I think my future house and children are a little more important then mods for my car haha. granted thats yeaarrrrssss from now, I'm just being cautious.

I have money saved, so when I get lumps of cash, I blow it! (wait around and it'll come.. it happens to everyone lol)
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

how big are you looking to go?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

If you have ample access to E85 I would go HTA35R with the tubular mani!

I generally save a little each month and it works out that about 2 times a year I can get parts. For example, I bought the car new in '04 and am still on stock turbo so that shows how much I can afford to spend on toys...
Old Dec 9, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Dont think its good time to waste money on turbo kits right now. I'm investing all my money on CD and stocks right now and going to mod with the money I make with investments.
Credit Card is No Go. I had credit card, spent $2500 and was paying $50/payment but about $20 was going into interest. So I paid off with my first paycheck.

What are you going to do with big turbo?
I thought about it but I think stock 9 turbo is enough for street drive.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

35r is the biggest i will go...would like to get the ETS HTA35R kit....
Old Dec 9, 2008, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

If you cant afford 3-4k for a turbo kit, simply buy it part by part. One check you buy your manifold, next time buy a turbo, next time buy the oil lines ect ect. You do not have buy a kit just because its sold as a kit.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dsmhater
If you cant afford 3-4k for a turbo kit, simply buy it part by part. One check you buy your manifold, next time buy a turbo, next time buy the oil lines ect ect. You do not have buy a kit just because its sold as a kit.
thats true but it might end up being more expensive....i'll have to look into that buying it part by part tho

Quick Reply: Is there a secret? How to afford a big turbo kit? etc.