Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any upgrades that won't void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any upgrades that won't void warranty?

Just bought a stock Evo 9 and I was wondering if anyone knew what mods I can do that will not void warranty. Also, I am from Chicago. Any mod-freindly delearship suggestions? Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
negative, the minute you drive off the lot, your warranty is voided.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dtrackstar
Just bought a stock Evo 9 and I was wondering if anyone knew what mods I can do that will not void warranty. Also, I am from Chicago. Any mod-freindly delearship suggestions? Thanks
honestly, you are out of luck. there is no warranty with this car besides stupid minor things. if your tranny goes, you're paying for it. if your transfer case goes, you're paying for it.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Driving School...In a different Car!
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Not even a simple exhaust or down pipe? I don't understand how you could not replace these would aftermarket parts. Is not really anything mechanical. What if you have some rusting or dents and need to replace these parts?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

If I were you, i'd get a TBE, drop in filter and tune. Keep your stock exhaust and tune and put them back on when you go to the dealership.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

the dealer told me as long as its not a turbo kit or anything that has to do with opening the motor you should be ok but thats around heer check with your dealer and ask what can you do thats what i did exterior mods are ok as well as rims and stereo.. or so they told me.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor

This is not the car to buy if your concerned with the warranty. The dealer I bought my Evo from said if I add an exhaust, and the struts go, the struts will be covered since the exhaust doesn't have anything to do with the struts. What a load of crap. Those idiots wouldn't cover anything. You have 2 choices. 1, forget about the warranty. 2, just keep all your stock parts so when something does break, you can just put it back to stock before you bring it to the dealer.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Warranty? I haven't heard that in years. Nobody gets anything done on warranty.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

tires? and oh yeah any mitsubishi mod part but does not include labor (if not installed by them.) Catback should be ok depending on what state or county youre in.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

you can definitely get away with anything cosmetic. Add some CF here and there, change your shift knob or something... shorty antenna etc... they shouldn't have a problem with a drop in k&N filter.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

what part of chicago are you from?
im from naperville. my dealer is cool with my mods (posted in sig) but i havent had any warranty work done. just oil changes. there is a guy on here that actually works in the service dept. of the mitsu dealer i go to. if you want i can get you his user name and you could ask him some questions.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

It all depends on where you are and who you deal with. My rep gave me the green light on anything but aftermarket clutch, bov, turbo, and boost controller.
Oh and I just got my car back last week for a complete trans overhaul, under warranty. I added up the cost and they could have just put a new one in for less.

My rep also was the one who thought my trans should be repaired. I didn't think it was that bad. So I agreed, he gave me a rental and I was on my way.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Trail Slide
honestly, you are out of luck. there is no warranty with this car besides stupid minor things. if your tranny goes, you're paying for it. if your transfer case goes, you're paying for it.
Isn't that part of the drivetrain warranty? My salesman told me my '06 MR was still covered under the drivetrain warranty.

Quick Reply: Any upgrades that won't void warranty?