Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anybody replace the windshield?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody replace the windshield?

How much did it cost? I have a big ol' crizzak and they won't let me on the trizzak
Old Sep 10, 2003, 04:57 AM

Shouldn't your insurance cover it.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

how'd you get the "crizzak"
Old Sep 10, 2003, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Call your ins co. They usually give a freebie windshield replacement every few years.

SC~
Old Sep 10, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

There are no freebies. My deductable is $500. The chip is the size of a ball point pen's ball (medium point). Then one day the windshield cracks about 8" and stays that way for 2 months.

I just want to know if anybody has replaced their windshield with aftermarket glass for a lancer, or if they are using mitsu glass.

Lancer glass = 200 installed
Mitsu Evo glass = 500 + installation
Old Sep 10, 2003, 01:10 PM

I am pretty sure the EVO takes the same glass (windshield) as the lancer. Just call any glass company they can tell you.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

It might fit, but I believe the Evo comes with light weight glass stock. I could be all wet, though.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

no, your right erioshi, the evo comes with lightened glass, i believe thats why its more expensive.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by hel_if_ino
no, your right erioshi, the evo comes with lightened glass, i believe thats why its more expensive.
I thought that it was only the windows for the doors that were shaved for weight.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

I'm hoping the light weight is for the sides and not the front or back. It would explain why such a little chip cracked the windshield though, if it is shaved. I will make some phone calls tomorrow. The $200 lancer price was for aftermarket glass. Not sure what mitsu wants for it. The parts guy did tell me they are different part numbers, but he said the EVO had green tint according to his cpu?
Old Oct 27, 2003, 09:15 AM

Angry Windsheild

We had the car less than 48 hours when our windsheild was hit by rocks falling off a wide load truck. We were 2 lanes over, but they were bouncing all over the place! Windshield is cracked badly, passenger side mirror has a bad chunk our of it, and the front lower grill is dented and missing a body clip.

Of course, the guy didn't stop.....we tracked him down. His manager states that they are required to sweep off any construction equipment and truck for debrise. We all know everyone follows policy...right?

The insurance adjuster pretty much said we were lying. If we were 2 lanes over, there was no way the rocks could hit us. I forgot that rocks bounce in a straight line. (I hope her car got hit on the way home! )

Anyways, I found a Lancer windsheild installed for $150, but I heard that the Evo is lightened. Checked with Mitsu and it does have a different part # (MR-991637) for $452.56 retail. This doesn't include installation!

Does anyone have any info that confirms the EVO uses a lightened windsheild? My deductible is $250 and I didn't want to hit my insurance.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

My windshield from the dealer was around $450, and another $150 for the mouldings and installation. The windshield broke in multiple places from pebbles, then got hit by a bolt or something one day on the highway. Had 1 line going from the left to the bottom. Couldn't stand it anymore.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:35 AM

Buy full glass coverage on your insurance policies. They generally cover all the glass and plastic parts on your car for $0 deductable.

In states such as CA where Full Glass coverage is not available, get the $0 deductable on your comprehensive policy only...one chipped windshield and the policy pays for itself.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

dam that sucks (about paying for the cracked winshield)

i was in a similar situation where i was around a truck and a rock came straight at me and cracked the windshield about 24" long. my insurance paid for it with no hassle. they asked where i would like to get it done and that's it. they even made the appointment for me and for them to come to me instead.

but anyways, the windshield from the regular Lancer and the Evo is exactly the same. the cool thing about my replacement is that the top part of the winshield is tinted. so no more glare from the sun.
Old May 17, 2004, 04:35 PM

I just had my windshield replaced. The Evo rearview mirror won't fit on a regular Lacer windshield. I had to buy a Lancer mirror for $32 to fit on my new $200 windshield or pay around $500 for OEM equipment. I picked up both the original windshield and the cheap replacement and could not tell a differance in weight or see a differance in thickness.