Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo with frame Damage still worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Checking for frame damage is super easy. Just ask to see the underside of the car on a lift. Look for any creases, or any obvious folds on the metal. If the damage has not been repaired, it will be very obvious. The metal will be "crinkled" and "folded" and the paint in this area will have cracked and peeled away, and sometimes it will have rusted since the bare metal would have been exposed. If it has been repaired, alot of times you can still detect the folds or creases, but new paint will be there. Check the front, rear, and sides of the car especially. If you are lucky, the damage might have just been done to the front radiator core support, which is very easy to fix, and isn't even really frame damage at all (it can be unwelded, and a new one can be welded in its place). At any rate, don't be fooled into paying more that 8-10k for this car, the resale value will be complete **** if you ever decide to sell it.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
you need to get pics of the other side. looks like its pushed in alitte on that side. Cant tell because of pics. Go there and take alook at it and find out how much he wants. Please dont post again until you find out the price and get pics of back of car other side of car and underneath would really help.
whats with non moderators on this site lately telling people not to post again until xxx, im sick of seeing it
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rgar
Any tips or tricks for telling how bad the frame damage was\is?
Look at how well the doors, trunk, and hood close. Look for any buckling/creases in the roof. If you get a copy of the body repair manual, you could do some basic checking of cross measurements.

Originally Posted by rgar
What type of possible problems should I expect from frame damage? How will it affect driving? Also can't you put it on a machine that fixes the frame and if so, why does it matter after that?
If the frame damage is fixed by an expert, with the current frame straightening machines, you won't have any problems. Don't listen to all of the doom and gloom.

I got hit hard by a drunk driver in my Evo, and I thought the car was ruined. I talked to a bunch of local frame guys, and found one that I trusted. I hung out during the process, and watched as the frame was pulled. They ended up replacing the entire rear quarter, door, and suspension. After everything was put back together, you wouldn't have been able to tell the car was in an accident.

A year later, I had the entire undercar checked out by a suspension expert. He spent an hour under the car, and found nothing that would indicate the car had ever been damaged. The alignment looks like a properly setup Evo.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:44 PM

I would stay away from it, i had a car that had unibody damage and it would not drive straight at all. No matter how much you alighn it it will drive horribly on the highway.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

i wouldn't get it but like the other guy said it, its YOUR money not ours.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Ended up not getting it. The auction ended and the car went for 14k, a week later I saw it at 1 dealership, then another and it was listed at 26k. Then it was gone so I guess somebody bought it.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, should of bought it and made it into a sweet toy....
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly ..i dont think it was worth it, never know excatly what problems it had gotten into
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

have it taken to a place where they can check frame alignment. if its been in a bad accident id keep looking honestly.