Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock tach problems. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock tach problems. HELP!!

One of my good friends just purchased a '05 Evo and the stock tach does not work. The car had a AFC hooked up when he purchased it. The AFC tach worked fine but the tach wire was cut and plugged directly into the AFC bypassing the stock wiring. After connecting the tach wire from the ECM back to stock car wiring harness the AFC tach failed to work. We checked the wiring diagram on All Data and checked continuity from the ECM tach output to the cluster plug and it checked okay. Supposable the first owner had a problem with the tach but that hasnt been confirmed. Basically the wire runs from pin 58 out of the ECM to a plug in the center console where it meets 2 other wires, one of which runs to another plug on the other side of the center console and then to the tach pin 11 and the other to engine bay. I even tried a new cluster and the tach didn't work either. Everything in the cluster works besides the tach. The evo had acd but was ACD was removed so the ACD lights stay on inside the tach. I have exhausted my knowledge of wiring and I am hoping that someone on here may be able to guide me in the right direction. I really dont want to put a new wiring harness in this thing but may have to.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you might have to put a new harness in but im not sure though seeing as how i havent messed around much with the stock harnesses at all...do some searching to aid in your problem....not that you need a tach anyway =P
Old Dec 13, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as you know the troubleshoot for this is to check continuity from the ecu to the tach itself. I couldn't find a fuse in the wiring scheme but you might look at the fuse box behind the coin box by drivers left knee. One of the hieroglyphics looks like a dial gauge.

my rpms disappeared too, but I hope its just a faulty wire tap connection.