Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cold weather issues?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Cold weather issues?

I'm happy to report I've had none! Today's high was -7*F and the mini-battery has been able to fire the Evo up easily even with the FP4R cams and FIC 850cc injectors even after sitting outside for 10 hours. After a few seconds of warming up it idles smoothly and drivability is fine. Also, the Redline tranny cocktail is still shifting very smoothly and easily in these below-zero temps.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
I'm happy to report I've had none! Today's high was -7*F and the mini-battery has been able to fire the Evo up easily even with the FP4R cams and FIC 850cc injectors even after sitting outside for 10 hours. After a few seconds of warming up it idles smoothly and drivability is fine. Also, the Redline tranny cocktail is still shifting very smoothly and easily in these below-zero temps.
Is this the first winter with the mini batt? It usually takes it toll on the battery after a while. Mine crapped out on me last year.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
Is this the first winter with the mini batt? It usually takes it toll on the battery after a while. Mine crapped out on me last year.
This is my first winter with this battery, but i bought it used and installed it last spring.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cold weather issues so far:
Rear door locks won't open electrically when the car is cold. (But do manually)
Lots of fan belt noise while warming up.
TONS more squeaks and rattles while driving.
Diverter valve flutter noise at partial throttle when engine cold and being slightly lugged.

I drive it down to -25C. I think I read in the manual the ACD won't operate below that temperature. It was -32C here the other day. I rode my bike .
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

You're nuts! If my car starts it will get driven!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:32 PM

Only issues I've had this year are the doors getting frozen shut from all the freezing rain we've been getting. And it was so cold today that the hinged part of the windshield wipers froze so when I tried to get all the dirt and salt off that other cars kicked up the wipers went across the windshield but were like an inch away from the glass lol. Had to pull over and give the hinge a little workout.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jackyll
Only issues I've had this year are the doors getting frozen shut from all the freezing rain we've been getting. And it was so cold today that the hinged part of the windshield wipers froze so when I tried to get all the dirt and salt off that other cars kicked up the wipers went across the windshield but were like an inch away from the glass lol. Had to pull over and give the hinge a little workout.
Yep, it was damn cold here today.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well in the 20's where I live and Cold start with AEM FTL But runs great once its warmed up
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

my engine won't start unless i step on the gas pedal it when turning the key. then i keep my foot there at about 2k rpm for about 20 seconds so rpm won't drop back down and possibly stall.

what do i need to replace?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have aftermarket cams or fuel injectors? Sometimes it's not so much a part that needs replacing but a tune that needs editing.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

If it is a tuning issue and you are local, PM inco9nito99 (Kunal) on these boards. He can and will make it right if its your tune.

We are in for one hell of a snow storm tomorrow.

We all should get together and roam the streets in a pack, like wolves.

(Only if you have snow tires on)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

i have crower 272/272 cams and stock fuel injectors. and it was tuned by Kunal although i dunno how long ago since that was all done by the previous owner. how often is a tune necessary? do i need one?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

A tune should be good until you make some changes to the engine such as new mods. If you are unsure or think the car could run better it would be a good idea to get it retuned.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

I get mine re tuned during season changes, although I have done it yet this year.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

yeah montreal can get pretty cold a couple weeks ago it went down to -30C but the evo started up like a champ.