Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what a crappy day.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down what a crappy day.....

So... My day started normal enough. woke up. got in the car. decided i would go for a drive. A bunch of buddies recommended the 33 in ojai to me. I thought I would give it a try. This road is awesome, and I really recommend it for those in the area that have never been.

Couple of problems though. Your cell phone will stop working about 30 seconds into your drive, and can really cause problems if you run into troubles, and are stupid enough to go driving alone like I chose to do today. Anyways, I'm about 20 miles into the canyon, and the tread on my rear passenger-side tire completely separates from the tire and my dumb *** with my stripped interior has no tools no spare tire no nothing! No can of fix-a-flat in the world is going to repair this thing, and my piece of crap cell phone has no signal at all. Oh yeah, and it's freezing cold outside and I have no jacket. Now before everyone flames me for going on a canyon run obviously unprepared I was not pushing my car. I had never been on the road before, and wanted to familiarize myself with it before I headed up there with some of my buddies. More of a cruise on an otherwise boring *** day.

So, after standing out by my poor baby for like an hour before somebody finally stops, I was able to hitch a ride back into town where my phone would work. I call my roomate, tell him to rummage through the pile of car parts in our house to find my spare and tools and to bring them out to me. He shows up, takes me up to my car and............. no freakin' wheel lock. DAMN IT! I bought the car used about 3 months ago and was never given the wheel lock for the lugs. I'm running the stock MR BBS so I call the nearest Mitsu dealer and ask if they have a lock i could purchase. He replies, yes their parts department can help me out........... just call back on Monday when they are open. DAMN IT! So, at this point i am so frustrated I call a tow truck to see if they have some kind of universal key or can just break the damned thing off. The only tow company in the area refuses to break the lock and only offers me a tow for $125. Fine, at least they can bring out the flat bed. So like 6 hours has gone by since the tire initially went, and my baby is finally on the truck on its way into town. The guy drops it off at a local tire shop, and tells me I can come back on Monday when they open and they should be able to get the lock off.

After a long day and a very frustrating but fun-for-a-while cruise i'm home, with frozen feet, and my baby sits lonely at the shop almost on bare rim. Let this be a lesson to everyone.

Always be prepared for the unexpected, even if you are just going on a cruise.

Don't lose your damned wheel lock key. And if you were never given one because you bought your car used then get a replacement BEFORE you need it.

Taking the spare out of your trunk is ok if you are shedding weight. But forgetting to put it back in when you are going for a drive by yourself out into the middle of nowhere is a bad idea.

Last edited by MR_Lance; Dec 22, 2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: added pictures of the tire.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

That sucks man hopefully you get this all worked out monday mourning.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:11 AM
TS8
Evolving Member

I learned my lesson, especially living in a cold winter area.
Always do a checklist before any trip/cruise for a worst case scenario.
I had a similar situation, even with the factory wheel lock key, could not get the lock off. Ultimately, had to have the lock lug impacted off. (too tight from the Dealer). Now, i always use a torque wrench, and use a wheel lock that is easier to take off. Factory lock is a very poor design. For long trips, I carry my winter tire as a backup spare.
When you consider how much gasoline weighs, a tire is almost insignificant, unless you are autocrossing.
Sorry about your situation, but sometimes that is how we learn.
Just remember, things could've ended up a lot worse, take care and good luck!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks! I would be very pissed about something like this, atleast your car didnt get broken into while you were gone. I got a flat one day and lucky me my dad had checked it the day before. If he didnt fill the b!tch up with air I would be riding a flat again. Went to the tire shop and they didnt have the same type of tire. I had to buy 4 brand new tire that same day. This all happened on my way to get my car worked on by AMS.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

It may of sucked but consider it a lesson learned. Sharing your experiences on here might also save some other soul considering the same thing.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

How does the tread totally seperate from the tire?

I can only think that that tire was pretty worn or maybe a defective tire?

Lucky that all you got was a blown tire; you could have easily lost control and crashed.

Good luck.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your misadventure however we are all glad to hear you are ok. at least both you and the car are ultimately ok.

Josh
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bah, suck it up. At least you weren't chased by police, had your car impounded, or suffered any damag to yourself or your car. If this happened to me I wouldn't even complain...but then again my luck is so horrible that things like this don't even phase me anymore.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 6-speed
How does the tread totally seperate from the tire?

I can only think that that tire was pretty worn or maybe a defective tire?

Lucky that all you got was a blown tire; you could have easily lost control and crashed.

Good luck.
I have no idea. When I head out to the tire place I'll snap a couple of pictures of the tire. Not really sure what happened to it, nothing I had ever seen before though.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

I bought 2 "new" tires once and one turned out to be a retreaded tire. It went out on my in about 500 miles.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3/4" 12point socket and a hammer work great as lock keys.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Every single time I got out for a rip on backraods, I make sure I have my cell phone. But unlike your situation, my backroads do have some reception, atleast enough that I could text message if anything were to ever happen.

And that's the exact reason I haven't removed my jack, tools and spare tire. Because I know the day I do, something will happen. The world hates me enough that that would happen

Sorry about your day, though. Just think, it really could have been worse.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

when **** happens it really does. i've had days like that. glad your ok.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

atleast you got to familarize yourself with the canyon... jut more then you wanted to
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sucks man when it rains it pours bro