Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Post your SNOW stories!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had to dig my car out of 18" of ice and snow this morning. All i had was a 6inch promotional ice scraper. wind chill was -4 and i had no gloves or hat, just a fleece jacket.

was 45 mins late to work, didnt matter cause my boss called in sick anyways
Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rane
Drove car into garage.

Closed garage.

Kept car far away from white death.

The end.

If one of those smiles was the picture of a chicken I'd click it like a thousand times. Anybody who hides an Evo from snow should be slapped.

Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory
...but these Yokohama "summer only" tires are the worst tires I've ever had to deal with in my life. I'm getting some all-seasons, or even winter tires soon before I kill myself.
The difference between summer and winter tires is like night and day. I have the AVS Winter tires. I went in an empty lot that was covered in snow and I couldn't shake it loose except with extreme power. You will stick like glue under regular driving conditions when you're shod in winter tires.

Ice is the big equalizer, but under snow you're king!

Last edited by xphillipjrx; Dec 22, 2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Heat on full in the cab. Rear defrost on. Car...igloo.

4 hours on I84 in CT/NY. 120 miles covered. Do the math.

I was not a happy camper. Ended up stopping in Fishkill, NY for the night to get off the roads and away from idiots. Woke up at 3am and finished the rest of my 600 mile trip by 10am.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by xphillipjrx

If one of those smiles was the picture of a chicken I'd click it like a thousand times. Anybody who hides an Evo from snow should be slapped.

The difference between summer and winter tires is like night and day. I have the AVS Winter tires. I went in an empty lot that was covered in snow and I couldn't shake it loose except with extreme power. You will stick like glue under regular driving conditions when you're shod in winter tires.

Ice is the big equalizer, but under snow you're king!

There could be thousand of issues, why some one is actually keep the car away from snow.
I just posted mine before.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

On Goodyear F1 All Seasons here.

DO NOT DRIVE ON SUMMER TIRES IN THE SNOW. I cannot stress that enough.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rane
Drove car into garage.

Closed garage.

Kept car far away from white death.

The end.

haha yep Only car of mine that will see snow is my 93 Accord which isn't fun. Almost feel like getting rid of my Evo VIII and getting an Evo that I can daily drive AGAIN.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
On Goodyear F1 All Seasons here.

DO NOT DRIVE ON SUMMER TIRES IN THE SNOW. I cannot stress that enough.
Its all about the winter tires. once you've had winter tires, you'll never settle for anything less. The worst winter tire will kick the crap out of the best All-Season.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Its all about the winter tires. once you've had winter tires, you'll never settle for anything less. The worst winter tire will kick the crap out of the best All-Season.
I drive on mega-trips. So all seasons work best for me. Winters are great in the snow. CT is weak on the snowfall. MI (my home) lots of snow. Still ran AS tires. But you have to know the limits. I have never gotten stuck with them.

My AS also are my summer daily tires. I run a dedicated race set for events.

I recommend at the least a set of AS for the winter. If you get a ton of snow and don't do cross country trips - winter tires.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 09:18 AM

Right now I have the Yokohama summer tires on, so I dont take my car out in the snow. i had to get my oil changed and I let my bf take the car Yea he likes to play a little too much in my car.

Last edited by Wicked Evo 9; Dec 31, 2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by xphillipjrx

Well then slap me and call me a chicken lol

Here in VT the snow can get pretty unruly (there's about a foot and a half outside right now) and since I'm fortunate enough to still own my very first car, a 2001 Mits Mirage, I'm more than happy to keep the Evo in the garage on days like this. I've broken the front lip once already thanks to a poorly paved road, and won't risk that again with a lowered car that acts like a plow in this kind of weather. Should I hit one solid patch of ice or snow it's hasta luego front end. And I'm certainly not taking my car out to an empty parking lot and sliding it around...I've got better things to do than possibly throwing out my alignment.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my story:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...snow-cops.html
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

^^ 2 posts above.
Well then slap me and call me a chicken lol

Here in VT the snow can get pretty unruly (there's about a foot and a half outside right now) and since I'm fortunate enough to still own my very first car, a 2001 Mits Mirage, I'm more than happy to keep the Evo in the garage on days like this. I've broken the front lip once already thanks to a poorly paved road, and won't risk that again with a lowered car that acts like a plow in this kind of weather. Should I hit one solid patch of ice or snow it's hasta luego front end. And I'm certainly not taking my car out to an empty parking lot and sliding it around...I've got better things to do than possibly throwing out my alignment.
i had my car out saturday night wasnt really snow was more like freezing rain. Slide off the road into a telephone pole wasnt nothin i could do. Ice is brutal cant do nothin about which way ur car is gonna go. Im done drivin my car is the snow/ice when i get it back..gonna keep it in the garage when i hear ice/snow. Not messin it up anymore. aint worth it.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

ITS ALL ABOUT TIRES!! PEOPLE MUST UNDERSTAND THAT

btw, here is a little fun in the snow (the little tiny bit of snow we finally got here in NYC, not upstate NY where people got 2 feet) - http://albertdj.com/gena/S6snow1.mov [wait for it to load]

where is the Evo u ask, well the Evo is locked up till its safe to come outside on the Oem Advan 046's

Old Dec 22, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
And when he did get it side way (very hard to get side ways btw.. and im running all seasons) he could control it perfectly.
No Jake, your car just doesnt make enough power to get sideways...even in the snow...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Pushing an SRT4 out of a snow bank he slid into in front of me.........god bless awd and power rear windows.