Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Post your SNOW stories!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xphillipjrx

If one of those smiles was the picture of a chicken I'd click it like a thousand times. Anybody who hides an Evo from snow should be slapped.
I beg to differ. Rather than risking having some out of control sliding soccer mom in her minivan slide into my Evo on the freeway, I prefer my car sitting minty and fresh in a dry garage. Accident risks aside, SALT and RUST are intolerable to me and many other car enthusiasts. If you think driving on snow is exciting, then you must not drive fast enough when its dry out. I like to get sideways on dry asphalt, I'll leave the salt and snow to all the McRae wannabes out there.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I bought my car to drive it, rain, shine, or snow. I love to drive!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
Pushing an SRT4 out of a snow bank he slid into in front of me.........god bless awd and power rear windows.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

ITS ALL ABOUT TIRES!! PEOPLE MUST UNDERSTAND THAT
U can say what u want about tires blah blah blah idont if u have winter tires or not if your on ice ur not gonna get traction unless you have studs in your tires! winter tire good for snow thats it. not ice there is nothing u can do about ice!! PEOPLE MUST UNDERSTAND THAT!
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OhsixIXBish
U can say what u want about tires blah blah blah idont if u have winter tires or not if your on ice ur not gonna get traction unless you have studs in your tires! winter tire good for snow thats it. not ice there is nothing u can do about ice!! PEOPLE MUST UNDERSTAND THAT!
You are wrong there. Winter tires have sipes which are small slits across a rubber surface that will increase traction on ice and snow.

For those that think all-seasons are just as good as snow tires, I will challenge you to a race this summer, you use your "all seasons" and I'll use my dedicated race tire. It’s basically the same scenario.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

ok take u winter tires and go on on a sheet of ice and lets see how much traction u get...
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

duplicate post.

Last edited by EVOizmm; Dec 23, 2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OhsixIXBish
ok take u winter tires and go on on a sheet of ice and lets see how much traction u get...
I've done plenty of ice racing. Any snow tire will out-grip the best all season tire. Just like any R-Compound will outgrip the best all season at the track.

I will agree you won’t have much traction on ice, but with a snow tire you will have more than an all season hands down! It’s rare you will be driving your car on glass-like ice unless you’re following a zamboni down the road; most roads have a thin layer of snow covering it which gives you plenty of traction.

Last edited by EVOizmm; Dec 23, 2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

duplicate post...

Last edited by EVOizmm; Dec 23, 2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
some of the funniest snow driving videos i've seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0pPT3O6Sk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2gL...eature=related
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
It has been very cold here for two weeks, sub zero temperatures with lots of wind and some snow. The wind chill has been in the minus twenties most of the time. I have snow tires but still haven't changed out the 10W-40 oil I put in late last summer. To top it all off I have been working nights.

To go out I put on coveralls over my street clothes, insulated boots, watch cap, parka and ski gloves.

The snow story is no story. My Evo starts and runs perfectly in this weather and is a dream to drive.

I have a Rexpeed votex generator i want to mount. The advice here is to do it on a warm day. Ha.